Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S gets $3K price drop then a $2570 drop to $69420!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO, it's a better value than the 3 and Y. We were interested in a Y and looked at it. But, just like with the 3, the back seat isn't meant for any adult or older teenager for any extended trip, even just commuting.
Not really sure how big your kids are, but I'm 6'4 and 200 pounds, zero problems in the back of a Model 3. I found the Model S in comparison to be awful for legroom, and with much bigger and more intrusive C pillars. What makes it so egregious is how large the exterior of the car is, yet still small in the back seats.

What is better?
Off the top of my head, Porsche Taycan 4s. I severely discounted it at first because of the price difference and stats on paper, but the reality is the Porsche gets only about 25% less range, is faster, FAR better quality (especially on the interior), and offers a ton more customization options. As for the price, as someone once pointed out with the "logic" used by Tesla fans, a Chevy Camaro ZL1 is far better than the 911 4S because it's cheaper and has a better 0-60. There's more to cars than just 0-100 times, range, and price.

I think Tesla offering a smaller battery pack for $10K less would do more to increase demand.

Panasonic has more 18650 battery capacity than Tesla is using in their lower production runs of S & X in 2020, using a smaller pack doesn't make use of that capacity... Tesla seems to be doing the right thing, longest range possible for reasonable price (for a large executive sedan).

Reactions: 5JMJ
What is the logic of reducing the price $5500,- 1,5 years before (excluding delays) a competitor will deliver their product?
I would say the EQS would be a bigger threat to S sales than a Lucid though, but that is not available for purchase either.

Tesla's 18650 battery purchase commitment. I assume they cant shift that cell size to powerwall.

Pretty remarkable.

Late 2016 I paid $81,500 for a RWD S 75. Call it $74,000 to make up for the demise of the federal tax credit.

Now four years later, for nearly $5,000 less I can get a car with essentially the same content PLUS AWD, ~40% more range, ~40% faster acceleration, and all of the goodies and improvements that 4 years of continuous improvement brings.

Great progress.

Yes, it's remarkable how much more new buyer get for less money.

but 4 years ago, people will approach you and envy what car you have
now, it's just another Tesla.

Reactions: BestRadar
Yes. Go look at a 2015 P85D new vs today.
Do the same with a 2015 S Class.

Yes, there is a difference. But it’s worth noting...

It looks like a new Mercedes S class is about the same price compared to 2015 new.

The Model S LR is now about 35k less than the P85D new (which is pretty close in performance).. So that lessons the sting a bit (if buying another Model S.)

Last edited:
Yes, there is a difference. But it’s worth noting...

It looks like a new Mercedes S class is about the same price compared to 2015 new.

The Model S LR is now about 35k less than the P85D new (which is pretty close in performance).. So that lessons the sting a bit (if buying another Model S.)
If you’re calculating depreciation, it is based on make/model year to present. That’s it.

You cannot compare the price of a 2015 P85D vs a 2020 LR MS. It doesn’t work that way.

So to answer the question, depreciation on a Tesla Model S is significantly higher than a Mercedes S class.

Will that be true in another 5 years for the 2020 modes? No one can say.

If you’re calculating depreciation, it is based on make/model year to present. That’s it.

You cannot compare the price of a 2015 P85D vs a 2020 LR MS. It doesn’t work that way.

So to answer the question, depreciation on a Tesla Model S is significantly higher than a Mercedes S class.

Will that be true in another 5 years for the 2020 modes? No one can say.

I am fully aware that depreciation is higher on the model S and I understand the point you are making.

But my point is, I’d rather not be screwed over as much buying a new one now as I would be with the S class.

As far as your question, I think there’s a very good possibility since battery prices continue to fall and that accounts for a large chunk of the cost. As long as Tesla continues drop costs, I suspect they will drop prices.

Last edited:
Competition and these crazy drops are great for new buyers but continues to screw existing owners with dropping the value of all Existing Model S owners vehicles. My car is almost 4 years old and its worth around 1/3 of what I originally paid for it. I have not seen any other vehicle get devalued so much and so quickly.
I just looked at the price of a ~4 yo BMW 7 Xdrive on Carvana - they're all worth about 1/3 of MSPR as well. So seems pretty similar to me.

look like price drop is only in USA.
Here in Switzerland we still have the old price.

I never understand the logic behind the pricing of Tesla in Europe (and all kind of other tech product like iPhone and Mac). Even if you account for exchange rate, VAT, tax, and extra cost of shipping, every kind of tech product and Tesla cost significantly higher in Europe than in US. European cosumer get ripped off left and right for no reasons.

Does Tesla pricing in Europe already includes the VAT and tax?

What is the logic of reducing the price $5500,- 1,5 years before (excluding delays) a competitor will deliver their product?
I would say the EQS would be a bigger threat to S sales than a Lucid though, but that is not available for purchase either.

Model S pricing is way higher than where it should be anyway. If am in the market to buy a Model S, I will most likely go with BMW 5 series or Mercedes E class. They only cost $61k here in US (trim level with the same performance and 0-60 time as Model S). BMW and Mercedes are not electric, but you can't argue with the fact that they have significantly more luxury and higher quality than the Model S.