Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S gets $3K price drop then a $2570 drop to $69420!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Competition and these crazy drops are great for new buyers but continues to screw existing owners with dropping the value of all Existing Model S owners vehicles. My car is almost 4 years old and its worth around 1/3 of what I originally paid for it. I have not seen any other vehicle get devalued so much and so quickly.

Model S wasn't worth $130k to begin with 4 or 5 years ago. Even a top spec Mercedes S class or BMW 7 series with all fancy features you can think of costs less than that.

Model S pricing is way higher than where it should be anyway. If am in the market to buy a Model S, I will most likely go with BMW 5 series or Mercedes E class. They only cost $61k here in US (trim level with the same performance and 0-60 time as Model S). BMW and Mercedes are not electric, but you can't argue with the fact that they have significantly more luxury and higher quality than the Model S.

Wait, I am confused. I sold my Audi A6 3.0T (supercharged) and bought a 2020 LR+ The Audi was a faster car than either the BMW 5 Series our Mercedes E. But, none of those cars come close to the 0-60 times of the LR+ (3.7 seconds). I am a month into ownership, a bit pissed about 2 price decreases since I took delivery, but it has exceed my expectations. An amazing driving experience.

Wait, I am confused. I sold my Audi A6 3.0T (supercharged) and bought a 2020 LR+ The Audi was a faster car than either the BMW 5 Series our Mercedes E. But, none of those cars come close to the 0-60 times of the LR+ (3.7 seconds). I am a month into ownership, a bit pissed about 2 price decreases since I took delivery, but it has exceed my expectations. An amazing driving experience.
If you choose the BMW M5 or Mercedes E class AMG, they are definitely in similar 0-60 mph as Model S. Yes, the M and AMG version costs more than Model S, but i think a car or driving experience are valued very differently among people. Some people value 0-60 mph the most, most value the tech, some value the luxury, some value the ride or driving feedback.
If you ask me, I still don't think Model S is a $70k level of luxury or craftmenship. I can't use 3.7 second 0-60 mph everyday, and i only need 0-60 in 5 second. So anything under 5 second performance is "useless" for me. I would gladly give up the 0-60 performance for more luxury and quality.

If you choose the BMW M5 or Mercedes E class AMG, they are definitely in similar 0-60 mph as Model S. Yes, the M and AMG version costs more than Model S, but i think a car or driving experience are valued very differently among people. Some people value 0-60 mph the most, most value the tech, some value the luxury, some value the ride or driving feedback.
If you ask me, I still don't think Model S is a $70k level of luxury or craftmenship. I can't use 3.7 second 0-60 mph everyday, and i only need 0-60 in 5 second. So anything under 5 second performance is "useless" for me. I would gladly give up the 0-60 performance for more luxury and quality.

Exactly. Instead of the two price cuts in quick succession, they could have “quietly” upgraded the NVH or craftsmanship. Rumor has it they are even putting double pane windows on Model 3!

But they could give a rats a** about the Model S. Not worth 65k.... and after years of us customers waiting for what’s next, they are turning it into some track monster, randomly. It’s like an identity crisis.

Let us know what you get for trade and what you decide. I suspect that extra range won't be cheap, price drop or not.

They offered $38.2k trade in with 41k miles. This is just a preliminary offer without pictures or any info about condition. Still deciding as I love the uncorked 75, but I really do need the range when I do road trips (1-2x per year).. so weighing the options but 70% leaning toward upgrade.

The only thing you're buying in the S is the drivetrain and more room than the 3. Either it's worth the premium or it's not. I'm spoiled by the instant torque in an EV and that makes it hard to make a change.

One effect of the price drop on the Model S, is that it gives you a great negotiating tool when looking for a used Tesla. I'm watching to see if used long range car prices start to dip in the next week or so. Tesla have placed themselves in an odd position of having inventory cars that are more expensive than one that I could order and wait for.

As a stock holder, I don't like the idea that Tesla lowered it price to do better than a fictitious car price that isn't even on the market yet. The Tesla MS is real and you can buy one and drive it away in 2 weeks. How long will you wait for a Lucid?

Better to just lower the price because of the company's lower costs. I can understand how a new Tesla buyer must feel if he just bought a few weeks ago with a long term car payment. I bought my MS in March but don't feel so bad because it's paid for with profits from the Tesla stock trading. Had I waited until now, the same configuration would be $10,000 less. I've had plenty of enjoyment but really glad it's not under 72 months financing.

If you’re calculating depreciation, it is based on make/model year to present. That’s it.

You cannot compare the price of a 2015 P85D vs a 2020 LR MS. It doesn’t work that way.

So to answer the question, depreciation on a Tesla Model S is significantly higher than a Mercedes S class.

Will that be true in another 5 years for the 2020 modes? No one can say.
Go check the actual sales prices of used S Class cars. The last 4 2016 S Classes I looked at had an average MSRP of around $120k and sold for and average of $37k. The 8 2016 Model S models had an average MSRP of around $100k and they sold for an average of $43k. None of the cars had branded titles.

As a stock holder, I don't like the idea that Tesla lowered it price to do better than a fictitious car price that isn't even on the market yet. The Tesla MS is real and you can buy one and drive it away in 2 weeks. How long will you wait for a Lucid?

Better to just lower the price because of the company's lower costs. I can understand how a new Tesla buyer must feel if he just bought a few weeks ago with a long term car payment. I bought my MS in March but don't feel so bad because it's paid for with profits from the Tesla stock trading. Had I waited until now, the same configuration would be $10,000 less. I've had plenty of enjoyment but really glad it's not under 72 months financing.

I am a shareholder too, but I don't think he lowered price for Lucid. I think it is a coincidence and he has a different play in his playbook.

This guy doesn't care about naysayers or SEC, why would he care about a car that is not out in 2 years?

Reactions: TechOps
I am a shareholder too, but I don't think he lowered price for Lucid. I think it is a coincidence and he has a different play in his playbook.

This guy doesn't care about naysayers or SEC, why would he care about a car that is not out in 2 years?

If it wasn't Lucid then who/what was Elon challenging or referring to in his price reduction tweet when he said, "The gauntlet has been thrown down!" ?