Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S gets $3K price drop then a $2570 drop to $69420!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took deliver of a new Test Model S last Saturday (6 days ago). I now see the massive price drop, does anyone have knowledge on how this will be "handled" I reached out to local tesla in my hometown and they said they would email or contact corporate.

I took deliver of a new Test Model S last Saturday (6 days ago). I now see the massive price drop, does anyone have knowledge on how this will be "handled" I reached out to local tesla in my hometown and they said they would email or contact corporate.
I heard that Tesla removed the 7 day return policy just today. So I guess one less option to resolve this.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Exactly. Instead of the two price cuts in quick succession, they could have “quietly” upgraded the NVH or craftsmanship. Rumor has it they are even putting double pane windows on Model 3!

But they could give a rats a** about the Model S. Not worth 65k.... and after years of us customers waiting for what’s next, they are turning it into some track monster, randomly. It’s like an identity crisis.

Bingo.

For such an advanced car, interior is decidedly closer to Honda or Toyota rather than BMW, Mercedes, or Lucid.

Which is why I thought the original price cut was just a little oxygen while they split the line - the Plaid Track Monster and a real luxury sedan perhaps even in an updated body style.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Model S pricing is way higher than where it should be anyway. If am in the market to buy a Model S, I will most likely go with BMW 5 series or Mercedes E class. They only cost $61k here in US (trim level with the same performance and 0-60 time as Model S). BMW and Mercedes are not electric, but you can't argue with the fact that they have significantly more luxury and higher quality than the Model S.
I bought a 2015 MB S550 4matic with 11000 miles from a MB dealer in Queens NY. I was looking for about 2 months, constantly looking at MBUSA website for CPO. $114000 sticker I paid $61000. I traded it in a year later and 21000 miles on it to Audi for $48000. My private mechanic a former top Benz mechanic advised me against owning these cars without warranty coverage. Very expensive parts and repair costs.
As an aside the Audi Q8 is by far the worst vehicle I ever had. Sued for refund/ buyback.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Yea, I heard about no VAT for EV in Norway. Actually, i am surprised that many people in Norway are still buying ICE cars. There are only 333,000 EV on the road in Norway (only 53,669 are Tesla as of Today), less than 25% of existing car fleet is EV in Norway. Even with the highest gasoline price in Europe ($6 USD per gallon equivalent in US), no VAT or tax, no toll road fee, free street parking etc.

I know a lot of people and study say Norway is a shinning example of great EV development. But based on the data and what we have seen, if anything, Norway has proved that the world will never fully transition to EV, or take some crazy long time like another 50 years.

Not all car segments have been well covered until very recently, Model Y, which is not available here yet, will fix one of the remaining holes (family sized, long range, large trunk with large opening, tow hitch with decent weight limits, and a decent price). So far in 2020 around 60% of the new car sales have been all-electric in Norway. If you count hybrids (which you shouldn't) the number is probably closer to 90%.
It is also worth mentioning that Tesla-sales has lagged in Norway this year due to low availability / high prices, as well as better competition.
There is also the issue of adequate fast-charging availability, which is rapidly improving.

Change takes time.

I bought a 2015 MB S550 4matic with 11000 miles from a MB dealer in Queens NY. I was looking for about 2 months, constantly looking at MBUSA website for CPO. $114000 sticker I paid $61000. I traded it in a year later and 21000 miles on it to Audi for $48000. My private mechanic a former top Benz mechanic advised me against owning these cars without warranty coverage. Very expensive parts and repair costs.
As an aside the Audi Q8 is by far the worst vehicle I ever had. Sued for refund/ buyback.
Wow, how did you negotiate with Mercedes to buy that used S class for $61000 (while they list it at $114000) ? That's almost 50% off what they ask for.

Not all car segments have been well covered until very recently, Model Y, which is not available here yet, will fix one of the remaining holes (family sized, long range, large trunk with large opening, tow hitch with decent weight limits, and a decent price). So far in 2020 around 60% of the new car sales have been all-electric in Norway. If you count hybrids (which you shouldn't) the number is probably closer to 90%.
It is also worth mentioning that Tesla-sales has lagged in Norway this year due to low availability / high prices, as well as better competition.
There is also the issue of adequate fast-charging availability, which is rapidly improving.

Change takes time.
I thought the statistic of "60% of new car sales is EV" is only for the month of September. Which is heavily screwed and exaggerated because Tesla and some other manufacturer always deliver a huge amount of car in the last month of each quarter (but almost no car in the first two months of the quarter)

Yea, Model Y will be very popular all over Europe for sure. The price still need to come down a lot more though.

Wow, how did you negotiate with Mercedes to buy that used S class for $61000 (while they list it at $114000) ? That's almost 50% off what they ask for.
He probably means original MSRP was 114k? A lot of sites lists the original new price as incentive.

With the recent drop in price I am tempted again. I posted back in May about my trade in fiasco with price matching and etc. Just yesterday I sent a trade offer request to tesla for mine. I was expecting further depreciation but surprisingly, I received a quote that was 6k higher than my May quote.. anyone else having similar experience or tracking history of Tesla to Tesla trades?

The company mission is to have low cost EV for the masses, so i think Tesla will continue to cut prices if possible. Or at least match the pricing of equivalent ICE cars in the same market segment.

I don't disagree with the first part as that is good price management based on internal margins. However, the timing of the two price drops plus his Tweet speaks to Musk getting suckered into a price war with a future competitor on a car that doesn't exist on the market. He didn't have to do that at this time. I would like to believe he is trying to get rid of inventory to open the door for the next MS refresh models but that's not how he Tweeted it.

He probably means original MSRP was 114k? A lot of sites lists the original new price as incentive.

With the recent drop in price I am tempted again. I posted back in May about my trade in fiasco with price matching and etc. Just yesterday I sent a trade offer request to tesla for mine. I was expecting further depreciation but surprisingly, I received a quote that was 6k higher than my May quote.. anyone else having similar experience or tracking history of Tesla to Tesla trades?
I always hear that Carmax offer better trade-in price for Tesla...

I don't disagree with the first part as that is good price management based on internal margins. However, the timing of the two price drops plus his Tweet speaks to Musk getting suckered into a price war with a future competitor on a car that doesn't exist on the market. He didn't have to do that at this time. I would like to believe he is trying to get rid of inventory to open the door for the next MS refresh models but that's not how he Tweeted it.
It is possible that he want to get rid of current inventory before a possible future refresh. But it is also possible that the cost of manufacturing a Model S has come down so much that he decided to offer good price to make it more affordable for everyone.

I personally still think that the current price of $69k is higher than what it should be. Should be more like $61k to match the BMW 5 series or Mercedes E class, which are the same size and market segment.

Reactions: cusetownusa
It was in 2018. Sorry for the confusion. I thought it would be understood being it was a CPO. There really was no negotiating.I got it rounded down to the nearest $1000. To tell you the truth I had 2 previous S classes and liked them but this one I didn't. The tech in it was dated and old. My previous 2 were brand new and weren't bad for the time that I had them. I went from a Tesla Model S to this and the tech difference was huge in my opinion.
As far as the $114000 the window sticker was in the glove box.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Model S pricing is way higher than where it should be anyway. If am in the market to buy a Model S, I will most likely go with BMW 5 series or Mercedes E class. They only cost $61k here in US (trim level with the same performance and 0-60 time as Model S). BMW and Mercedes are not electric, but you can't argue with the fact that they have significantly more luxury and higher quality than the Model S.
I get what your saying somewhat....I had a 2012 750Li, and hated the system running everything. Felt like when I switched from Directv to Verizon Fios and aren't familiar with the channels. Couldn't figure out and never got used to that stupid wheel. Not to mention that Life Quality BMW sucks and they are the only dealer near me and where I bought it from. 2 miles to my house after delivery and next morning battery was dead and it had to be dragged out of my garage the next morning. They charged the battery wouldn't give me a new one, had to reinstall the operating system. @ days later the same thing and still wouldnt put in a new battery. The service department wanted sales to pay for it and they wouldn't. What a sh*t show.Wound up taking it back when I posted on Bimmer forums about the experience.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk

Unavoidable pain for those who happen to take delivery of cars right after price cuts. This happened in the past many times and will happen some more. Their answer about "contacting corporate" is probably a nice hint for you to pound sand about this.

Don't waste your time, when Tesla dropped prices by up to 40% in some markets in 2019 overnight, many owners protested by blocking superchargers and service centres (which didn't change anything). I would expect your Email will be trashed.