Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S gets $3K price drop then a $2570 drop to $69420!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model S a month ago. Tesla CS said that they "Feel my pain" but there was no retroactive discounts. I would have liked a little sympathy, but not surprised.

It’s unfortunate but you are far from the only one. When I received my 90D in early 2017, the 100D came out for the same price. And the car is now 30k less to buy new today. But....I paid what I agreed to and didn’t get any retro price adjustment. If I was going to wait for a better deal, I’d still not have a Tesla today.

I personally still think that the current price of $69k is higher than what it should be. Should be more like $61k to match the BMW 5 series or Mercedes E class, which are the same size and market segment.
If only those cars had a decent EV powertrain with good EV range. There is going to be a cost premium for EV for a while. But EV drivetrain component prices will continue to come down and the gap will close. Perhaps tip to EV being less expensive eventually.

The one positive I see with my declining resale value of my used 2016 S100D is that a replacement will also cost significantly less, and have many more features, be faster, and have better range.

First of all I don't believe in coincidence. Every action is just a reaction and a coincidence is an excuse when you don't know what's behind the action. But as CapeOne just said, it's seems pretty clear why he did it and when. I just don't believe it was one of his smartest moves.

But with an open mind I might assume there is a new Model S on the horizon and he has existing MS in inventory to unload before announcing the new look and features at a higher price. I'm not talking about Plaid as we know about that. I'm talking about an LR+ with all new interior and added tech features plus the new battery cells currently in the Model Y but 120KW size for 500+ miles range and 250KW charging. The latest monolith battery is not ready yet. OK I can dream. :)
The price cut sells more cars at no cost to Tesla's financials as Rob Maurer explains.

He probably means original MSRP was 114k? A lot of sites lists the original new price as incentive.

With the recent drop in price I am tempted again. I posted back in May about my trade in fiasco with price matching and etc. Just yesterday I sent a trade offer request to tesla for mine. I was expecting further depreciation but surprisingly, I received a quote that was 6k higher than my May quote.. anyone else having similar experience or tracking history of Tesla to Tesla trades?
May was when used car prices were depressed due to the virus. They have since recovered. All used cars, not just Tesla.

1. We can all agree that lower prices are better for us.
2. We can all agree that no matter when the price is dropped, there will always have been people who 'just bought' a Tesla with previous prices.

Hence, this is a good thing, and can't be done in a better or different way.

Consider if Tesla does something crazy like "We're lowering the price of the Model S, plus if you've been delivered a new Model S in the past 2 weeks, we'll give you back the difference!"

(Which is crazy, consider how much money it'd cost for them straight out of their cash reserves to do it, so they'd be way less likely to lower prices to begin with)

Even then, there will be people who bought the car 15 days ago and missed that 2 week cutoff by 1 day, and they'll be like "UNFAIR!!". If you make it a month, there'll be people who bought the car 31 days ago. There'll always be a cutoff point before which the people who bought a Tesla will have been "screwed" out of a better deal.

Same thing with improving the car. Say when there's a battery improvement, and the cars after a certain date have 10% more range. But you just bought your car with less range a day before that went into production. What are you gonna do? Demand a new battery?

Please. Things are getting better - prices falling and cars improving. This is a technology company whose products you're investing in. You can't treat it like anything else.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
They could be really slow about making changes. Like $1000 a month - that would sting a lot less than $5k over a few days.
They could refund the difference dropping 5% per day for the last 20 days.
If they did both then $50 would be the daily risk. And no one would complain about $50. I calculate the first year's depreciation at about $50 a day.

And I don't know about #1. While it doesn't matter to me (2015), I know of someone who purchased a car in the last 6 months and had a life change and needs to sell. They just lost $5k.

And I think everyone appreciated this is technology. But it is also a car. And buying a BMW has less short term risk for those on the fence between Tesla and BMW.

Reactions: P100D_Me
yeah! stupid tesla! lowering prices and providing better value to buyers! stupid company!
Spoken by a person who clearly didn't just have their car devalued by $100K overnight. Still fanbois will be fanbois and view every Tesla decision through rose coloured glasses. Imagine a company with a similar cult following (like Apple) slashed the prices of the new iPhone by 40%-50% overnight after hoards of people had been buying them at full price, you think they wouldn't have people queuing up outside the store mad as hell, and who could blame them.

The problem with the massive reduction in one hit rather than gradual reductions is it really just showed how over priced they were to begin with, that would not have been so obvious with incremental reductions over say 6 months and that would have saved some pain for the buyers who just purchased one at the old pricing. And not only that I'm sure I read that it didn't actually help sales of the S & X anyway.

March 2019 - Musk - Slashes price of new Tesla's by up to 40% in some markets.
May 2019 - Musk: "Existing Teslas on the road will grow in value to be worth as much as $250,000 within the next three years"

Oh now it makes sense, his magical non existent coast to coast self-driving will make the cars gain that 40% price drop back.:rolleyes:

I bought my MS in March but don't feel so bad because it's paid for with profits from the Tesla stock trading. Had I waited until now, the same configuration would be $10,000 less.
Your TSLA stock, which paid for the car, would have been worth 3x what it was in March too. So what? Are you blaming Elon or Tesla for that? Prices change, I don't get what people's complaints are. They found a car they wanted at the price they were willing to pay for it, they got the car for that price, who cares if the price went down after?

Your TSLA stock, which paid for the car, would have been worth 3x what it was in March too. So what? Are you blaming Elon or Tesla for that? Prices change, I don't get what people's complaints are. They found a car they wanted at the price they were willing to pay for it, they got the car for that price, who cares if the price went down after?

Absolutely the wrong impression- The timing of my plan was bad but it turned out fine. I was away on a cruise when I got word my MS would arrive 2 days after I got back. But the Pandemic panic caused the stock to drop like a rock. So I contacted the Tesla sales advisor and he set me up with a WF loan so I didn't have to sell when the market dropped. In June the market had recovered enough and I paid off 95% of the loan. I was forced by the terms to hold the loan open for 6 months or pay a penalty. So after 6 months I paid off the balance of a thousand$. No penalty and only a couple hundred $ interest. I continue to trade Tesla around a core position and it is my largest holding now. No complaints from me at all. I don't care that the current price is dropping as long as Tesla is making money. I have my Tesla for a year of clicking my mouse at the right time and continue to grow the stock.