Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S gets lighted vanity mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the left hand side there’s a small pull down tab that opens and exposes a screw. You can the unscrew it. And it comes out by pulling down at an angle. Just 1 screw holding it in.
Awesome. that made is so much easier.

Thanks for the info.

Note: I have a Sept Build Model S P100D, and I could not locate any sort of power connector for the lighted mirror. I still went ahead and installed the new visor because the pullout was the important part for me, and the light would have been just icing on the cake.

Awesome. that made is so much easier.

Thanks for the info.

Note: I have a Sept Build Model S P100D, and I could not locate any sort of power connector for the lighted mirror. I still went ahead and installed the new visor because the pullout was the important part for me, and the light would have been just icing on the cake.

Mine as well, I’m waiting on some parts from Taiwan, if it works I’ll start selling some retrofit kits to power the mirrors really easily that will be mostly plug and play. Expecting delivery in 8-12 weeks...

Mine as well, I’m waiting on some parts from Taiwan, if it works I’ll start selling some retrofit kits to power the mirrors really easily that will be mostly plug and play. Expecting delivery in 8-12 weeks...
Awesome. do let me know when those retrofit kit for the power is available.

Note: Using the extra power in the microphone area may not work for me. I already purchased and installed the Enhanced Theft System that uses that spare 12V cable up there plus, my own Blackvue camera is also running off that same 12V, so I don't know if it will also run the lights if that is where you were thinking of patching into.

Awesome. do let me know when those retrofit kit for the power is available.

Note: Using the extra power in the microphone area may not work for me. I already purchased and installed the Enhanced Theft System that uses that spare 12V cable up there plus, my own Blackvue camera is also running off that same 12V, so I don't know if it will also run the lights if that is where you were thinking of patching into.

I have two blackvue 900's running off the microphone connector, but I think the lights will draw very minimal power and things will be ok, however it's possible it will be to much, but I can't image 2 very small led lights drawing "that" much power, however I'll test it when things come in. I can't power them up yet, because I don't want to cut the connectors hence taiwan, but should know everything in several weeks.

Wanted to drop a quick update on this: Good news / Bad news, the good news is the parts I ordered are a perfect match and plug and play with the lighted vanity mirrors with OEM connectors not cutting / splcing needed.

Bad news, I planned to leverage the 12v supply within the headliner for the security module which is also leveraged by my blackvue 900s, well it appears that dashcam + lighted vanity == blown fuses. Also, finding a 5 amp ARP micro fuse was a pita. Fortunately that is all sorted out, but now I'm going to need to change my approach and look for a new 12v source. I'll do that this week and hopefully will have an approach sorted out.

I suspect I'll be about to support / understand two approaches for the retrofit once with and one without existing dashcams. But overall, very successful and now, just need to find another source of 12v. I know the passenger footwell OBD II has 12v, but I don't know what size amp it's on, I have a blackvue plugged into that as well, but if it's on a 10amp circuit it will be fine. So, a bit of research and then i'll report back.

What happened to all of the owners of 2012 Model S who received a "due bill" or a promise from George Blankenship (one of Tesla's early VPs) that they could have their lighted vanity mirrors retrofitted when they become available? Did they get their visors?

I was also promised that I would have free lifetime Supercharging on that, and every future Tesla I purchased. I would also like to know if that will be honored when I upgrade in the future...

• Funny
Reactions: sorka and BigD0g
That line in the owners page only lasted a week or so, before they realized what they did.

It was there longer than that. It was there when mine was delivered in early 2013 and I saw it in various places at least until 2014. Elon is even on record making that statement. Watch the video on battery swapping. He says "Supercharging is, and always will be, free". That was the deal under which I purchased the car.

But no, I never got the promised lighted vanity mirrors either. I think back then, they really didn't know what they were doing. My first Model S also didn't have parking sensors but I was told I would have them retrofitted for free as well if I purchased the pre-paid maintenance plan which, at the time, said it included software AND hardware upgrades to the car. I did, and never got the sensors. They also told me, and it is even written in my agreement, that the service inspections were mandatory to keep the new car warranty in place. Elon removed that condition in a tweet after I had already purchased it.

It was there longer than that. It was there when mine was delivered in early 2013 and I saw it in various places at least until 2014. Elon is even on record making that statement. Watch the video on battery swapping. He says "Supercharging is, and always will be, free". That was the deal under which I purchased the car.

But no, I never got the promised lighted vanity mirrors either. I think back then, they really didn't know what they were doing. My first Model S also didn't have parking sensors but I was told I would have them retrofitted for free as well if I purchased the pre-paid maintenance plan which, at the time, said it included software AND hardware upgrades to the car. I did, and never got the sensors. They also told me, and it is even written in my agreement, that the service inspections were mandatory to keep the new car warranty in place. Elon removed that condition in a tweet after I had already purchased it.

Sorry, was speaking to the line they did in 2017 that said existing owners would get SCfor there life, not the life of the car, but it only lasted several days or so.

But yes, Tesla has a bad habit of promising the world and delivering maybe a banana split...