Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S giving much grief

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla a prefacelift S is becoming increasing more unreliable. There have been times when I couldnt get it to go at all. Today I couldnt access the main screen. It still motors but I dont think Ill be able to charge it to desired level. Also cant reboot by pressing the 2 scroll buttons. Any suggestions? How do you do a factory reset? Cant access manual.

My Tesla a prefacelift S is becoming increasing more unreliable. There have been times when I couldnt get it to go at all. Today I couldnt access the main screen. It still motors but I dont think Ill be able to charge it to desired level. Also cant reboot by pressing the 2 scroll buttons. Any suggestions? How do you do a factory reset? Cant access manual.
Where abiuts in Melbourne are you?
We could plug in the Scan My Tesla Tool for you if you need. Perhaps give you a better idea of the health of the car etc :)

Have you had the MCU1 SSD Recall completed and/or upgraded to MCU2?

Mine is a Pre-Facelift 2015 so should have the same connectors as yours from memory.

Where abiuts in Melbourne are you?
We could plug in the Scan My Tesla Tool for you if you need. Perhaps give you a better idea of the health of the car etc :)

Have you had the MCU1 SSD Recall completed and/or upgraded to MCU2?

Mine is a Pre-Facelift 2015 so should have the same connectors as yours from memory.
Im in Sandringham. Havnt had MCU2 fitted thought you had to wait for Tesla to ring first. Would like to try your scanner.

I think there's still likely to be some occasional glitches with the Newer Software running on the Nvidia Tegra Processor on the MCU1 System unfortunately. Thankfully the Double Press is a quick fix to resolve issues when they arise.

Certainly I haven't had to do that anywhere near as much with MCU2 Upgrade..

Still have my (2016 facelift) original MCU1. After a couple of little screen glitches back in 2019, I asked about the replacement and they said no, wait till it properly fails. But it's been fine ever since. It will probably survive until the terms of the free replacement have expired, so I'll end up buying a MCU2 with radio - I won't have a choice as upon resale any buyer would have to do it anyway.

Reactions: moa999
Still have my (2016 facelift) original MCU1. After a couple of little screen glitches back in 2019, I asked about the replacement and they said no, wait till it properly fails.
I had a bubble in my screen and they replaced that under warranty. But also, I mentioned that I had sound dropouts (couldn't even hear the indicators tick) and unreliable Bluetooth pairing. They said straight away that's the eMMC and offered to replace it at the same time. Since the replacement, my phone pairs before I've even got my seat belt on.

So it's worth being aware that it isn't just display glitches or loss of the display - it could be sound, bluetooth, or pretty much any intermittent annoyance.

Now I have a good MCU till 2024 when the 3G network gets turned off...