Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S going to the dogs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just got back from a weekend trip and realized that our growing family may need more than the Model S can provide. What I'm talking about is interior space, and space for dogs, in particular.

We have two dogs (one about 45 lbs, the other about 20 lbs) are in the process of rescuing a third (about 40 lbs). The two existing dogs travel fine in our P85D, but when we have luggage, as we did on this weekend trip, there really isn't much room left. A third dog in a crate in the back seat just won't fit.

Has anyone tried out alternative dog transport methods (I'm not talking about National Lampoon Vacation type....)?

We just got back from a weekend trip and realized that our growing family may need more than the Model S can provide. What I'm talking about is interior space, and space for dogs, in particular.

We have two dogs (one about 45 lbs, the other about 20 lbs) are in the process of rescuing a third (about 40 lbs). The two existing dogs travel fine in our P85D, but when we have luggage, as we did on this weekend trip, there really isn't much room left. A third dog in a crate in the back seat just won't fit.

Has anyone tried out alternative dog transport methods (I'm not talking about National Lampoon Vacation type....)?

Two words: Model X.

How about a roof rack for the luggage? I'll be getting my 70D in September and I have 3 18-20 lb dogs - most of the time I'm just taking 1-2 of them to classes and shows, but when I have all three it will be 2 in the back 2 crates (19"h x 16"w x22" deep) and another in a seat belt harness in one of the passenger seats - other seat will be down for luggage.

Do they all do well together? Then consider a barrier to separate the back cargo area and then you have the seats for luggage.

We literally just got this thing:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F71DF4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

with these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00164SZMO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
(look at the second pic)

Will let you know how it goes. I'm very curious to see if that divider works with the front seats.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to your review. One of the things I noticed in the most recent trip is that we also need to do something about the footwells for when the dog is not in the crate (like if we're just driving to the beach from the house). Stuffing pillows in there only works so well. Something like this might work: http://amzn.com/B0029TSPLQ

- - - Updated - - -

I heard a rumor that a new Tesla SUV type thing is coming out soon.

Rumors do appear to be floating around about that, but given all the things that were rumored/promised in the P85D, I'm going to pass on the SUV. If I were to go the SUV route I'd definitely go ICE, since it would replace my pickup truck and I actually go off road and it's tough to find a place to charge when you're totally off the grid.

What type of luggage are you using? Bulky rectangular boxes like everyone has when flying?

Switch to soft duffel bags. They fit much better in the frunk and in the storage space under the trunk floor. I learned this trick with the Elise. The trunk is relatively spacious but oddly shaped and the opening is small. Using several soft case duffel bags allows you to utilize the entire space.

I have something similar to the Kurgo Barrier. Had to "modify" it after this :eek:

1052368_10152340891552814_1386931105_o.jpg

Or put your gear in there - its for real- and used by a lot of police/Military/other for trained dogs/hunting dogs. There is no exhaust on a Tesla - not sure what the issue is. Put me in there on a mattress pad and I will sleep!

DogBoxPictures_leftside_ramp_loadup1.jpg

Or put your gear in there - its for real- and used by a lot of police/Military/other for trained dogs/hunting dogs. There is no exhaust on a Tesla - not sure what the issue is.

For the same reason I won't put a baby in there. If you have even a minor accident during backing up the car, the dog would be dead. The second picture you've shown looks more sturdy, but still not as survivable as the back seat or trunk. But looks like you can survive backing up in a parking lot at least.

The first one however is a death trap.

Our standard poodle, Cooper loves to drive with us.

In our Toyota Sequoia he sits in the back seat, right behind me and places his head on my right shoulder and is my co-pilot.
Coops-Copilot.jpg

In our Chrysler 300C (Hemi) he does something very similar, but braces himself for when Mommy pulls hole shots.
In the 85D with executive rear seats he sits up, completely proper and elegant. A complete Tesla dog.
(I do put a blanket down for him so his nails won't scratch the leather).

In our Duffy he just wants to be close to Dad.
11390164_10153378753633827_3038287373357776474_n.jpg