Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Goodyear Eagle replacement tires VERY hard to find

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 4 month old 90D came with Goodyear Eagle Touring 245/45 R 19 tires.

Three days ago, I picked up a nail dead center in the middle of the tread (no sidewall damage at all), and the tire has a slow leak (3-5 PSI loss overnight), so it's still driveable.

I go to the local tire shop, and when the tech pulls the tire off the rim, he sees a layer of foam on the inside circumference of the tire. He's never seen this. The boss comes over to look, and says that due to the foam, he won't repair the nail hole. He does not know what the foam is for.

Boss sends me to the Goodyear store down the street. Now it gets odd...The man behind the Goodyear counter cannot find this tire in the Goodyear web site. He calls various Goodyear numbers, and no one can find this exact tire anywhere in the Goodyear system! They won't/can't tell me if the tire can be repaired or not.

While the agent is making still more calls to various Goodyear numbers, I call Tire Rack. The agent sees the tire in his system, but they are out of stock with no ETA for future deliveries.

I call Tesla Scottsdale, and they have...1...in stock. I buy it, and it'll be shipped to me in Flagstaff middle of the week.

I tell the Tesla service guy (who was very helpful) that it's odd that Tesla is shipping (almost) new cars with tires that can't be easily be replaced. What I I had been out on a the road, and the tire was totally unserviceable? He tells me that all new Teslas come with the foam lining in the tire for road noise reduction, and it could be that the tires are built by Goodyear to Tesla specs, and that could be why they don't generally show up in Goodyear or Tire Rack or Discount Tire inventory systems.

Be aware that if you have Eagle Touring 245/45 R 19 tires, you will probably have trouble getting one replaced.

I welcome any comments!

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
$180 for the tire, and $20 for shipping.

See if they'll sell you 4 more at that price, which is the price Tesla gets for the old Goodyear OEM (Eagle RS A-2).

The Tire Rack price for the Goodyear Eagle Touring tire was $285 per, iirc. No tread warranty listed.

Interesting to know that the Touring 19s have foam in them.

I just secured a set of Goodyear Eagle RS A-2s for $481 out the door (for installation at the end of the month), but have no illusions that they're going to last more than 35,000 miles or so (the average of a fair bit of anecdotal evidence). And they're not as good as the Michelins, which makes me even more curious about the new Goodyears. If made to Tesla spec, then why no tread warranty? Hmmmm.

Do you find the tires to be quieter than those during your test drive?

One other thing to watch on the tire spec for these is the speed rating. I also have these on my 2016 MS 90D and they have a 98W rating code. Looking at the information on Tire Rack's site is a difference in the speed rating for the TO Tesla specific version from the "general" version. The TO version has the 98W rating where the "general" version is a 98V.

Per DOT rating scale, the W speed rating is up to 168 mph where the V speed rating is up to 149 mph. Given the MS 90D is rated to a top speed of 155 mph, that would explain Tesla specific version being a W rated tire.

One can debate that for the way most folks drive their cars on a regular basis that the difference between a V and W rated tire is not important, but some really good tire shops that are paying attention might decline installing the generic version for you.

• Informative
My 4 month old 90D came with Goodyear Eagle Touring 245/45 R 19 tires.

Three days ago, I picked up a nail dead center in the middle of the tread (no sidewall damage at all), and the tire has a slow leak (3-5 PSI loss overnight), so it's still driveable.

I go to the local tire shop, and when the tech pulls the tire off the rim, he sees a layer of foam on the inside circumference of the tire. He's never seen this. The boss comes over to look, and says that due to the foam, he won't repair the nail hole. He does not know what the foam is for.

Boss sends me to the Goodyear store down the street. Now it gets odd...The man behind the Goodyear counter cannot find this tire in the Goodyear web site. He calls various Goodyear numbers, and no one can find this exact tire anywhere in the Goodyear system! They won't/can't tell me if the tire can be repaired or not.

While the agent is making still more calls to various Goodyear numbers, I call Tire Rack. The agent sees the tire in his system, but they are out of stock with no ETA for future deliveries.

I call Tesla Scottsdale, and they have...1...in stock. I buy it, and it'll be shipped to me in Flagstaff middle of the week.

I tell the Tesla service guy (who was very helpful) that it's odd that Tesla is shipping (almost) new cars with tires that can't be easily be replaced. What I I had been out on a the road, and the tire was totally unserviceable? He tells me that all new Teslas come with the foam lining in the tire for road noise reduction, and it could be that the tires are built by Goodyear to Tesla specs, and that could be why they don't generally show up in Goodyear or Tire Rack or Discount Tire inventory systems.

Be aware that if you have Eagle Touring 245/45 R 19 tires, you will probably have trouble getting one replaced.

I welcome any comments!

Are you sure the tire is the same as what you have? The $180 Goodyear tire used to be original tires on Tesla. They don't have the foam.

• Informative
TireRack OEM Telsa Model S Tires:

19", 245/45R19:

GoodYear Eagle RS-A2 - High-Performance All-Season, used originally on model years 2012-2013
Michelin Primacy MXM4 - Grand Touring All-Season, used originally on model years 2014-2015
GoodYear Eagle Touring, TO Telsa - Grand Touring All-Season with sound reduction foam, 2016-present
Pirelli SottoZero 3 - Performance Winter/Snow, not included with vehicle, but available in Tesla online store

21" Square setup, 245/35R21:

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 - Max Performance Summer
Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Max Performance Summer
Michelin Pilot Super Sport, TO Tesla - Max Performance Summer with sound reduction foam (brand new)
Continental ExtremeContact DW - Max Performance Summer
Continental ContisportContact 5 - Max Performance Summer
Continental ContisportContact 5 - Max Performance Summer with sound reduction foam
Pirelli SottoZero 3 - Performance Winter/Snow, not included with vehicle, but available in Telsa online store

21" Staggered Setup, 245/35R21 front, 265/35R21 rear:

Michelin Pilot Super Sport, TO Tesla - Max Performance Summer with sound reduction foam (brand new)
Continental ContisportContact 5 - Max Performance Summer with sound reduction foam

TireRack OEM Telsa Model S Tires:

19", 245/45R19:

GoodYear Eagle RS-A2 - High-Performance All-Season, used originally on model years 2012-2013
Michelin Primacy MXM4 - Grand Touring All-Season, used originally on model years 2014-2015
GoodYear Eagle Touring, TO Telsa - Grand Touring All-Season with sound reduction foam, 2016-present
Pirelli SottoZero 3 - Performance Winter/Snow, not included with vehicle, but available in Tesla online store

21" Square setup, 245/35R21:

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 - Max Performance Summer
Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Max Performance Summer
Continental ExtremeContact DW - Max Performance Summer
Continental ContisportContact 5 - Max Performance Summer
Pirelli SottoZero 3 - Performance Winter/Snow, not included with vehicle, but available in Telsa online store

21" Staggered Setup, 245/35R21 front, 265/35R21 rear:

The RS-AS2 and MXM4 are what come up as OEM tires when I select my 2015 P85D.