Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Goodyear Eagle replacement tires VERY hard to find

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Just lost a tire yesterday (Goodyear Eagle Touring 245/45 R19 98W with foam liner).
Found a tire place a mile away where I stopped and they searched for the exact tire and thought they found one from a nearby place.
When they mounted the tire I noticed it wasn't a Touring but an RS A2.
They charged me $209 for the tire and mounting (which they said was the cheapest price, I should've googled around, I know).
After getting home I went on tire rack and discovered that the:
Eagle Touring 98V is $ 209.99
Eagle Touring 98W is $ 219.99
Eagle Touring TO Tesla (with foam I suppose) is $ 239.99
and the Eagle RS A2 98v is $ 139.99

So I'm afraid to think that they sold me an RS for the price of the Touring.

The other scary thing is that when we rotated the tires around 8K miles we discovered that the rear ones were already over half gone.
With now just over 10,500 miles we will have to replace the other (3) remaining tires anyway and might match the new RS A2.
But only if you guys think that this is actually a good tire.

(By the way: I'm not worried about the speed rating V vs. W since were not in Europe and anything over 100mph lands you in jail).

Any input, please? :confused:
Thomas

• Informative
Hmm, I still think a spare would be quite appropriate.

More confusion:
I just called Big-O-Tire and they told me that the TO is a run-flat and I shouldn't put an RS A2 on a Tesla since this is a "passenger" tire and I would have problems with it down the road.
But when going on the Tesla website under tires they sell exactly the RS A2 as a Model S option.
I am very discouraged in the tire department

• Informative
@AustroTom,

OK, so my observations:

1. The Eagle Touring TO Tesla model (with sound reduction foam) is a Grand Touring All-Season tire, and is the current Tesla OEM tire for 19" rims. They're $222.41 at TireRack.com.
2. Price to mount and balance a tire on a rim should be no more than $25.
3. Contrary to your tire shop's statement, the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 is not a Passenger tire, it is a High Performance All-Season. It's priced at $122.59 at TireRack.com.
4. Contrary to your tire shop's statement, the Goodyear Eagle Touring TO is not a run-flat tire.

My conclusions:

1. The maximum you should have paid for an Eagle RS-S2 is $122.59 + $25 mount/balance, for a total of $147.59 + tax. $209 is overpriced.
2. Your tire shop should have never mounted a High-Performance All-Season tire when the other 3 tires on the car are Grand Touring tires.
3. You did not get the tire you requested, you got different one.
4. The tire shop you dealt with is clearly not on top of things. They don't seem to know the difference between different tires, and don't know what tires are applicable to the Tesla.
5. Your tire shop appears to have overcharged you, and did incorrect work that isn't recommended.

My recommendations:

1. Return to the tire shop, inform them that they overcharged you based on going rates and pricing, they fitted a tire you didn't request, and they fitted a tire that is a different class than the others on the car, which isn't recommended.
2. Demand a full refund and return the Eagle RS-A2.
3. Demand that either A) They procure an exact matching tire, the Goodyear Eagle Touring TO, which you will pay $221.41 for, and they can mount and balance it for $25, or B) You will order and supply them with a Goodyear Eagle Touring TO and they can mount and balance it for $25, or C) after the return and refund of the Eagle RS-A2, do nothing and leave (this will require that you have a spare tire to put on the car).
4. If you say you are close to needing a new tire set anyway, I recommend you purchase the set directly from TireRack.com and have them delivered to a (different) reputable tire shop for mounting and balancing.

My current recommendations for Grand Touring All-Season 19" tires would be:

Goodyear Eagle Touring TO (Tesla OE, with sound reduction foam).
Michelin Primacy MXM4 (Previous Tesla OE, lowest energy usage).
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (excellent tire, highly rated, long tread life).

Thank you for your input, SomeJoe.

I'll clean up the mess tomorrow :rolleyes:

Problem though with the TOs is that they cant be fixed. And I was going to get that tire repair kit from Tesla.
Has anybody bought their own spare tire and jack and thrown it in the trunk?

I could, however, get three more of the RS A2s and match the one purchased yesterday.
It seems I won't get more than 15-18k miles out of one set either way.

$180 for the tire seems like a really good price. Does anyone know if the 21" tires come with foam as well, and what the replacement cost is for those?

IMO it's a little misleading. The treadwear seems extremely fast on the 2016/2017 19" Goodyear touring tires.... I just traded in my Tesla with 17,000 miles on it, and the tread wear seemed slightly worse than my previous Audi with all-seasons at 30,000 miles (!)

I almost feel like these are half-priced tires because they get half the lifespan....

Thank you for your input, SomeJoe.

I'll clean up the mess tomorrow :rolleyes:

Problem though with the TOs is that they cant be fixed. And I was going to get that tire repair kit from Tesla.
Has anybody bought their own spare tire and jack and thrown it in the trunk?

I could, however, get three more of the RS A2s and match the one purchased yesterday.
It seems I won't get more than 15-18k miles out of one set either way.
You can plug the tire or demount it and patch from inside. That requires lifting or cutting off the foam at that spot. Fix a flat will not work. There is a Continental bulletin that tells how to do this.

• Helpful
Wow, I just hung up with Tesla service and they told me that no more than 15,000 miles on any of the offered tires is very common among the Tesla community due to higher weight, regen. braking and driving style :eek:

so has anyone found a tire that performs better than the Touring, RS A2 or the MxM4??

Wow, I just hung up with Tesla service and they told me that no more than 15,000 miles on any of the offered tires is very common among the Tesla community due to higher weight, regen. braking and driving style :eek:

so has anyone found a tire that performs better than the Touring, RS A2 or the MxM4??
I have 30,000 miles on my P85DL and 4/32" left on the original mxm4 tires. I don't take turns very aggressively.