Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S gripes and wish list for Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
It's probably been posted before, but I would like to compile a list of things that people dislike about the Model S - those little but irritating foibles that could easily be addressed, usually by software tweaks.

For starters:

1 Grey font in the onscreen manual makes it difficult / tiring to read - black font far better
2 Media player always starts when entering car - should have to be selected on if required
3 TeslaCam format should be able to write to NTDF format

I am sure there are many such niggles - I will keep a list and update it every so often. Fire away!

1 Grey font in the onscreen manual makes it difficult / tiring to read - black font far better

I really dislike the grey-grey-grey theme. Apple is finally moving away from that, hope Tesla will too. Especially recognizing the need for easy visual recognition without requiring focused attention of the driver. Clear fonts and color coding could save lives...

I want Tesla to communicate more. That's what I truly want.

Not update with undisclosed changes.

Communicate with everyone about the MCU upgrade instead of keeping it secret.

Tell us why the batteries were throttled.

I had my MCU replaced a week before the upgrade was announced. Just before then I was told by everyone that no upgrade was going to be available.

Reactions: Superendo
Geesh, how about:

1. It's been 8 LONG years, and STILL NO FRIGGIN' COAT HOOKS in the Model S?!?

2. No lift for the parcel shelf either? My brother's '99 VW Golf had one for easy access when the hatch is opened . . . .

3. Open passenger door for spouse. AC turns on. Close door. AC turns off. We can do better. There's a weight sensor for the passenger's seat . . . .

4. Ditto on the Owner's manual font. It would be nice if it was readable.

5. Why waste the AC condensate? It's literally ice cold. USE IT to cool something, anything (like BMW does--to cool the transmission).

1. Fix the voice commands. 3 months broken is a sign that your software process is at fault.
2. Navigation should report any supercharger site with fewer than 66% stalls working as "Reduced Service" - or better, just fix them in under 6 months.
3. Provide some way to know what the next software update includes, and what it removes. Gotcha software updates are borderline fraud or warranty breach (really, does Tesla need more lawsuits?)
4. Actually provide roadside assistance with respect to tires. Don't offload it to AAA or Discount Tire.
5. Provide a reasonable fix to the broken EMMC. Don't force people into an exorbitant $2500+ fix. (edit) Just saw this

Last edited:
Reactions: Superendo
Software fixes / updates that don't have as many bugs as 'fixes'.
Fewer old bugs reintroduced / detailed change log for all updates.
Owner 'opt in' to accept specific non-safety software changes.
An official and functional 'bug report' system that communicates with Tesla.
WiFi hotspot for premium connectivity.
Predictive range on IC (not just optimistic gas tank gauge!) that learns from your previous journeys
Stop headbeam turning off for street lights and reflective signs.
Fix slowing down incorrectly when passing on / off ramps (sliproads) on motorways.
Provide easy onscreen (MCU) viewing of recorded camera video (to verify operation at least)
Auto-intervention log option on USB memory whenever the car systems take 'corrective action' or make intervention.
Working / useable rear view camera in low-light on newer Model S
Better control / more options for manual wiper delays to bypass AI system.
Route B-pillar & rear camera view together on MCU when reversing / parking.
Display battery heater status in car and allow manual 'battery heater only' control from app and in car.
Always provide high-contrast mode for text colors especially documentation / manuals.
Display menu of selectable settings for each profile with drag / click to set & control certain settings like fans / audio.
Detailed battery status / condition report with lifetime use / energy / efficiency statistics. (or in app)
Always allow at least minimal regen braking or sound chime and clear message 'REGEN DISABLED' so you no when the car will give zero regen braking. The dashed line isn't clear or sufficient indication that 'normal' single pedal regen braking is not available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Missile Toad
2 Media player always starts when entering car - should have to be selected on if required
4 Key fob is too small and slippery - easy to drop, and difficult to pick out buttons
5 I want Tesla to communicate more.
6 Not update with undisclosed changes.
7 Communicate with everyone about the MCU upgrade instead of keeping it secret.
8 Tell us why the batteries were throttled.
9 It's been 8 LONG years, and STILL NO FRIGGIN' COAT HOOKS in the Model S?!?
10 No lift for the parcel shelf either? My brother's '99 VW Golf had one for easy access when the hatch is opened
11 Open passenger door for spouse. AC turns on. Close door. AC turns off. We can do better. There's a weight sensor for the passenger's seat
12 Why waste the AC condensate? It's literally ice cold.
13 TACC to follow speed limits up and down. AP does it - why not TACC?
14 Better service and better components like EMMC, screen, headlights, screen washer pump.
15 Better out of guarantee help for above items etc etc.
16 Better QC
17 Better communications.
18 Rural mode where the auto headlights full beam below 25mph
19 Reversing mode when the rear indicators both flash as well as reversing light on
20 Fix the voice commands. 3 months broken is a sign that your software process is at fault.
21 Navigation should report any supercharger site with fewer than 66% stalls working as "Reduced Service" - or better, just fix them in under 6 months.
22 Provide some way to know what the next software update includes, and what it removes. Gotcha software updates are borderline fraud or warranty breach (really, does Tesla need more lawsuits?)
23 Actually provide roadside assistance with respect to tires. Don't offload it to AAA or Discount Tire.
24 Provide a reasonable fix to the broken EMMC. Don't force people into an exorbitant $2500+ fix
25 Software fixes / updates that don't have as many bugs as 'fixes'.
26 Fewer old bugs reintroduced / detailed change log for all updates.
27 Owner 'opt in' to accept specific non-safety software changes.
28 An official and functional 'bug report' system that communicates with Tesla.
29 WiFi hotspot for premium connectivity.
30 Predictive range on IC (not just optimistic gas tank gauge!) that learns from your previous journeys
31 Stop headbeam turning off for street lights and reflective signs.
32 Fix slowing down incorrectly when passing on / off ramps (sliproads) on motorways.
33 Provide easy onscreen (MCU) viewing of recorded camera video (to verify operation at least)
34 Auto-intervention log option on USB memory whenever the car systems take 'corrective action' or make intervention.
35 Working / useable rear view camera in low-light on newer Model S
36 Better control / more options for manual wiper delays to bypass AI system.
37 Route B-pillar & rear camera view together on MCU when reversing / parking.
38 Display battery heater status in car and allow manual 'battery heater only' control from app and in car.
39 Always provide high-contrast mode for text colors especially documentation / manuals.
40 Display menu of selectable settings for each profile with drag / click to set & control certain settings like fans / audio.
41 Detailed battery status / condition report with lifetime use / energy / efficiency statistics. (or in app)
42 Always allow at least minimal regen braking or sound chime and clear message 'REGEN DISABLED' so you no when the car will give zero regen braking
43 Thoughts about changing the charging times and schedule usually occur while I'm inside the house and it would be great to make adjustments without having to go to the garage.
44 Internet browser that works
45 Steering wheel temperature control

4 Key fob is too small and slippery - easy to drop, and difficult to pick out buttons
5 I want Tesla to communicate more.
6 Not update with undisclosed changes.
7 Communicate with everyone about the MCU upgrade instead of keeping it secret.
8 Tell us why the batteries were throttled.
9 It's been 8 LONG years, and STILL NO FRIGGIN' COAT HOOKS in the Model S?!?
10 No lift for the parcel shelf either? My brother's '99 VW Golf had one for easy access when the hatch is opened
11 Open passenger door for spouse. AC turns on. Close door. AC turns off. We can do better. There's a weight sensor for the passenger's seat
12 Why waste the AC condensate? It's literally ice cold.
13 TACC to follow speed limits up and down. AP does it - why not TACC?
14 Better service and better components like EMMC, screen, headlights, screen washer pump.
15 Better out of guarantee help for above items etc etc.
16 Better QC
17 Better communications.
18 Rural mode where the auto headlights full beam below 25mph
19 Reversing mode when the rear indicators both flash as well as reversing light on
20 Fix the voice commands. 3 months broken is a sign that your software process is at fault.
21 Navigation should report any supercharger site with fewer than 66% stalls working as "Reduced Service" - or better, just fix them in under 6 months.
22 Provide some way to know what the next software update includes, and what it removes. Gotcha software updates are borderline fraud or warranty breach (really, does Tesla need more lawsuits?)
23 Actually provide roadside assistance with respect to tires. Don't offload it to AAA or Discount Tire.
24 Provide a reasonable fix to the broken EMMC. Don't force people into an exorbitant $2500+ fix
25 Software fixes / updates that don't have as many bugs as 'fixes'.
26 Fewer old bugs reintroduced / detailed change log for all updates.
27 Owner 'opt in' to accept specific non-safety software changes.
28 An official and functional 'bug report' system that communicates with Tesla.
29 WiFi hotspot for premium connectivity.
30 Predictive range on IC (not just optimistic gas tank gauge!) that learns from your previous journeys
31 Stop headbeam turning off for street lights and reflective signs.
32 Fix slowing down incorrectly when passing on / off ramps (sliproads) on motorways.
33 Provide easy onscreen (MCU) viewing of recorded camera video (to verify operation at least)
34 Auto-intervention log option on USB memory whenever the car systems take 'corrective action' or make intervention.
35 Working / useable rear view camera in low-light on newer Model S
36 Better control / more options for manual wiper delays to bypass AI system.
37 Route B-pillar & rear camera view together on MCU when reversing / parking.
38 Display battery heater status in car and allow manual 'battery heater only' control from app and in car.
39 Always provide high-contrast mode for text colors especially documentation / manuals.
40 Display menu of selectable settings for each profile with drag / click to set & control certain settings like fans / audio.
41 Detailed battery status / condition report with lifetime use / energy / efficiency statistics. (or in app)
42 Always allow at least minimal regen braking or sound chime and clear message 'REGEN DISABLED' so you no when the car will give zero regen braking
43 Thoughts about changing the charging times and schedule usually occur while I'm inside the house and it would be great to make adjustments without having to go to the garage.
44 Internet browser that works
45 Steering wheel temperature control

That should be enough to be going on with! But it begs for another list...... 45 New (apparently inevitable / unavoidable) bugs / downgrades we could live with in exchange for these fixes / improvements!

• Funny
Reactions: Bill_75D
It's probably been posted before, but I would like to compile a list of things that people dislike about the Model S - those little but irritating foibles that could easily be addressed, usually by software tweaks.

For starters:

I am sure there are many such niggles - I will keep a list and update it every so often. Fire away!

1) Service appointments minimum 3 week wait
2) failure of my motor and axles at 40k miles
3) steering wheel control failures times 3 over one year
4) complete main screen failure 1 month out of warranty