Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S had to be towed home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brantse

Supporting Member
May 18, 2015
Somerset, PA
About 5 minutes into my drive home today as I was approaching and beginning to brake at a light, my classic S60 instantly surged forward momentarily. Unsure as to what had happened, I braked hard and the car slowed like normal. The light had then changed so I tried accelerating to find the car unwilling to apply any power. I didn't receive any error messages on either display, but rather than the gear selector indicators (P R N D) being white, they were all red.

Attempted rebooting the car, which didn't fix the problem, so Tesla had to call in a tow truck. It sure is embarrassing, sitting on the on-ramp of the only highway near my work, as numerous coworkers drove by stopping, honking, calling to point out that their ICE vehicles were working just fine.

About 5 minutes into my drive home today as I was approaching and beginning to brake at a light, my classic S60 instantly surged forward momentarily. Unsure as to what had happened, I braked hard and the car slowed like normal. The light had then changed so I tried accelerating to find the car unwilling to apply any power. I didn't receive any error messages on either display, but rather than the gear selector indicators (P R N D) being white, they were all red.

Attempted rebooting the car, which didn't fix the problem, so Tesla had to call in a tow truck. It sure is embarrassing, sitting on the on-ramp of the only highway near my work, as numerous coworkers drove by stopping, honking, calling to point out that their ICE vehicles were working just fine.

Wow. NOBODY stopped to see if they could help? Good thing you weren't having a medical problem!

You can have the last laugh when gas prices rocket sky high.....:smile:

That's a different set of symptoms/indications from any I've heard before, brantse. I can't remember anyone reporting their S being totally without motive power when showing no warnings on the instrument cluster.

uploadfromtaptalk1446086757751.jpg
Here was a photo of the instrument cluster.

That's a different set of symptoms/indications from any I've heard before, brantse. I can't remember anyone reporting their S being totally without motive power when showing no warnings on the instrument cluster.

I suspect that once more details are ascertained, part of the confusion is going to be that v7 is reporting an error condition differently. Otherwise, I also have never heard of the PRNDL going red before.

Initially the Ranger indicated that he would like to have a shot at repairing it before having to transport it to a service center (I'm over 150 miles from the nearest SvC). I just got a call from Rockville SvC, and they said after pulling more logs that they're pretty certain it's going to require more extensive repair and their loading up a loaner to head out. As I'm sure many have experienced this, I certainly can't complain in the least :smile:, but it really makes you wonder about the sustainability of this business model :confused:.

Can't belive a relatively new car with low mileage has to be towed home because of DU fail!
This proves that Tesla indeed deserves the low reliability score they got from CR!
No offense, but having such an expensive car being towed home because of DU fail in the middle of the road, this is just embarassing.
And we all know this is not just 1 particular case, we all know MS has serious issues with the DU