Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S had to be towed home

brantse

Supporting Member
May 18, 2015
Somerset, PA
About 5 minutes into my drive home today as I was approaching and beginning to brake at a light, my classic S60 instantly surged forward momentarily. Unsure as to what had happened, I braked hard and the car slowed like normal. The light had then changed so I tried accelerating to find the car unwilling to apply any power. I didn't receive any error messages on either display, but rather than the gear selector indicators (P R N D) being white, they were all red.

Attempted rebooting the car, which didn't fix the problem, so Tesla had to call in a tow truck. It sure is embarrassing, sitting on the on-ramp of the only highway near my work, as numerous coworkers drove by stopping, honking, calling to point out that their ICE vehicles were working just fine.

Cyclone

Cyclonic Member ((.oO))
Jan 12, 2015
Charlotte, NC
It sure is embarrassing, sitting on the on-ramp of the only highway near my work, as numerous coworkers drove by stopping, honking, calling to point out that their ICE vehicles were working just fine.

Wow, how rude. Every car has a failure. And for all they knew, you just had a flat. Hopefully they will not be jerks to you at the office.

mobe

Jun 4, 2015
Joplin, Missouri
About 5 minutes into my drive home today as I was approaching and beginning to brake at a light, my classic S60 instantly surged forward momentarily. Unsure as to what had happened, I braked hard and the car slowed like normal. The light had then changed so I tried accelerating to find the car unwilling to apply any power. I didn't receive any error messages on either display, but rather than the gear selector indicators (P R N D) being white, they were all red.

Attempted rebooting the car, which didn't fix the problem, so Tesla had to call in a tow truck. It sure is embarrassing, sitting on the on-ramp of the only highway near my work, as numerous coworkers drove by stopping, honking, calling to point out that their ICE vehicles were working just fine.

Wow. NOBODY stopped to see if they could help? Good thing you weren't having a medical problem!

taurusking

Jul 12, 2014
East Texas

You can have the last laugh when gas prices rocket sky high.....:smile:

stevezzzz

R;SigS;P85D;SigX;S90D;XP100D;3LR;YLR
Nov 13, 2009
Colorado
That's a different set of symptoms/indications from any I've heard before, brantse. I can't remember anyone reporting their S being totally without motive power when showing no warnings on the instrument cluster.

brantse

Supporting Member
May 18, 2015
Somerset, PA
uploadfromtaptalk1446086757751.jpg
Here was a photo of the instrument cluster.

Larry

Jul 28, 2013
East Bay of SF
Sorry to hear of your troubles. The only good thing will be you get to experience Teslas excellent service dept(hopefully they live up to their usual standards for you) Co-workers can be brutal

Cyclone

Cyclonic Member ((.oO))
Jan 12, 2015
Charlotte, NC
That's a different set of symptoms/indications from any I've heard before, brantse. I can't remember anyone reporting their S being totally without motive power when showing no warnings on the instrument cluster.

I suspect that once more details are ascertained, part of the confusion is going to be that v7 is reporting an error condition differently. Otherwise, I also have never heard of the PRNDL going red before.

brantse

Supporting Member
May 18, 2015
Somerset, PA
Initially the Ranger indicated that he would like to have a shot at repairing it before having to transport it to a service center (I'm over 150 miles from the nearest SvC). I just got a call from Rockville SvC, and they said after pulling more logs that they're pretty certain it's going to require more extensive repair and their loading up a loaner to head out. As I'm sure many have experienced this, I certainly can't complain in the least :smile:, but it really makes you wonder about the sustainability of this business model :confused:.

Only Trons

Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2013
Northern Virginia
Wow. Sorry to hear this. Definitely a strange set of circumstances....never heard of anyone experiencing the red gear selector indicators.

I've had nothing but great service from Rockville SC in the past....I'm sure they'll take good care of you.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
I wonder if that Drive indicator lit up red is a new feature of 7.0? Never heard of that, either...

Not new. I had the red PRND indicator as well when my main contactors failed last winter. But I also had a slew of other error messages and warnings to go along with it.

vortexz

Aug 26, 2015
Romania
Can't belive a relatively new car with low mileage has to be towed home because of DU fail!
This proves that Tesla indeed deserves the low reliability score they got from CR!
No offense, but having such an expensive car being towed home because of DU fail in the middle of the road, this is just embarassing.
And we all know this is not just 1 particular case, we all know MS has serious issues with the DU

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC