TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S had to be towed home

Discussion in 'Model S' started by brantse, Oct 28, 2015.

1. brantse

brantse Member

About 5 minutes into my drive home today as I was approaching and beginning to brake at a light, my classic S60 instantly surged forward momentarily. Unsure as to what had happened, I braked hard and the car slowed like normal. The light had then changed so I tried accelerating to find the car unwilling to apply any power. I didn't receive any error messages on either display, but rather than the gear selector indicators (P R N D) being white, they were all red.

Attempted rebooting the car, which didn't fix the problem, so Tesla had to call in a tow truck. It sure is embarrassing, sitting on the on-ramp of the only highway near my work, as numerous coworkers drove by stopping, honking, calling to point out that their ICE vehicles were working just fine.

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Wow, how rude. Every car has a failure. And for all they knew, you just had a flat. Hopefully they will not be jerks to you at the office.

3. mobe

mobe Member

Wow. NOBODY stopped to see if they could help? Good thing you weren't having a medical problem!

4. taurusking

taurusking Member

You can have the last laugh when gas prices rocket sky high.....:smile:

5. brantse

brantse Member

It was all in jest. Yes, several did stop to offer assistance, but considering we all have ego's....that is just as bad.

6. mobe

mobe Member

Has you car ever had the battery contactors replaced?

7. brantse

brantse Member

I don't know. It was a CPO that I just took delivery of a few months ago.

8. mobe

mobe Member

Keep us posted on what happened.

9. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

That's a different set of symptoms/indications from any I've heard before, brantse. I can't remember anyone reporting their S being totally without motive power when showing no warnings on the instrument cluster.

10. brantse

brantse Member

uploadfromtaptalk1446086757751.jpg Here was a photo of the instrument cluster.

11. Larry

Larry Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles. The only good thing will be you get to experience Teslas excellent service dept(hopefully they live up to their usual standards for you) Co-workers can be brutal

12. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

I wonder if that Drive indicator lit up red is a new feature of 7.0? Never heard of that, either...

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I suspect that once more details are ascertained, part of the confusion is going to be that v7 is reporting an error condition differently. Otherwise, I also have never heard of the PRNDL going red before.

14. DougH

DougH Active Member

Really when is that going to happen?. I paid $1.99 a gallon two days ago. It's done nothing but drop.

15. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Even at $1.99/gal, I'm over $600 in gas savings since the Model S has displaced a 20 mpg SUV.

16. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

This issue is not caused by contactors. It's the DU that failed.

17. brantse

brantse Member

Initially the Ranger indicated that he would like to have a shot at repairing it before having to transport it to a service center (I'm over 150 miles from the nearest SvC). I just got a call from Rockville SvC, and they said after pulling more logs that they're pretty certain it's going to require more extensive repair and their loading up a loaner to head out. As I'm sure many have experienced this, I certainly can't complain in the least :smile:, but it really makes you wonder about the sustainability of this business model :confused:.

18. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

Wow. Sorry to hear this. Definitely a strange set of circumstances....never heard of anyone experiencing the red gear selector indicators.

I've had nothing but great service from Rockville SC in the past....I'm sure they'll take good care of you.

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Not new. I had the red PRND indicator as well when my main contactors failed last winter. But I also had a slew of other error messages and warnings to go along with it.

20. vortexz

vortexz Member

Can't belive a relatively new car with low mileage has to be towed home because of DU fail!
    This proves that Tesla indeed deserves the low reliability score they got from CR!
    No offense, but having such an expensive car being towed home because of DU fail in the middle of the road, this is just embarassing.
    And we all know this is not just 1 particular case, we all know MS has serious issues with the DU