Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S hail resistant?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my aging Model S was parked outside in the hailstorm that went through Melbourne on the weekend. Not much I could do about that once it started. After it had passed I went out to check the damage expecting tragedy. Every other car on the street had significant hail damage (although no broken windscreens, so we didn't get the worst of the hail). My wife's car (Corolla) has multiple dent marks over the roof and bonnet. On first look I couldn't see any damage to the Model S whatsoever. After a closer inspection the next day I did find one very small dent on the bonnet which is probably due to the hail. I'm still debating whether it's worth doing anything about it.
Is aluminium known to suffer less damage from hail? I was very surprised to see how well the car held up.

So my aging Model S was parked outside in the hailstorm that went through Melbourne on the weekend. Not much I could do about that once it started. After it had passed I went out to check the damage expecting tragedy. Every other car on the street had significant hail damage (although no broken windscreens, so we didn't get the worst of the hail). My wife's car (Corolla) has multiple dent marks over the roof and bonnet. On first look I couldn't see any damage to the Model S whatsoever. After a closer inspection the next day I did find one very small dent on the bonnet which is probably due to the hail. I'm still debating whether it's worth doing anything about it.
Is aluminium known to suffer less damage from hail? I was very surprised to see how well the car held up.
The glass is probably a big help, it will either be totally fine, or not!

My X bonnet suffered from from some minor dimpling (maybe 8 spots) - but you’d have to really look for them so I doubt I’ll take any action. Such a feeling of helplessness as I drove hunting for a decent tree or undercover carpark. I was petrified about what I was going to discover.

My X bonnet suffered from from some minor dimpling (maybe 8 spots) - but you’d have to really look for them so I doubt I’ll take any action. Such a feeling of helplessness as I drove hunting for a decent tree or undercover carpark. I was petrified about what I was going to discover.

I'd get it fixed if I was you, it's a paintless repair and if only on the bonnet shouldn't take long at all....

We've seen plenty of Teslas damaged or destroyed (totaled) by hail in Colorado and Wyoming...so consider yourself lucky! One owner referred to his car as Dimples after one of our hail storms. :D

We thought were 4 small hail dents but when we took it in for repair, they found 13 dents. Fortunately, they were able to pop them out and there's no sign of the dents now.