Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S-hard to get in/out of for tall people?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im 6'5 and have bad knees. Ive res an X but don't know that I can wait 2 years. My biggest concern for the S is stress and strain getting in and out multiple times on a daily basis. During the test drive no issues with head or leg room. Any input would be appreciated.
thanks
Larry

Im 6'5 and have bad knees. Ive res an X but don't know that I can wait 2 years. My biggest concern for the S is stress and strain getting in and out multiple times on a daily basis. During the test drive no issues with head or leg room. Any input would be appreciated.
thanks
Larry

I'm 6'5" and have back issues. The trick is to get the butt in, duck the head, then bring in the feet (size 15). No strain unless you whack your head, but with the seat all the way back and down, steering not too far back, all you do is scuff the doorpost leather off where it has its fancy outjuts. I have a feeling I will have to do some kind of patch as I am down through the outer black to the cloth under it.

But no problem getting in, or out, as far as strain or pain. Once you're in, and find your comfort zone, you can drive all day. Well, at least to the next supercharger.

Larry!
Your kidding..... I have a roadster, I'm 66 , the guy that sold me the roadster was 6'6 and a big guy!!
At first it was hard to figure out the body motions to get in and out but now 27000 miles later it is no problem!
I got a loaner P85 for three days and the access was huge .... You WILL figure out how to accommodate those knees and the ride will far overshadow your concerns. It's a MS .. Not a roadster..... You will be fine!

Oh, I do taijiquan and have for a long time ...... It helps all kind of things.

Remember as a driver you can set up a profile called Entry/Exit which you can select before getting out of the S. You set the steering wheel in and up, and adjust the seat towards the rear as much as necessary (and raise or lower the seat cushion as appropriate). Fine tune it to make getting in and out easy. Just remember to hit it when you get out (and remind any other drivers to do the same).

I'm 6-4. The Model S is very similar to an Aston Martin in this regard. Getting in butt-first is a must. Getting out is a bit more involved: feet first, then I find it useful to rotate toward the doorway before getting out. I also find it helpful to push off with the back of my left upper arm.

If you don't normally drive with the seat bottom in its lowest position, it might be helpful to create an alternate driver profile called "Entry/Exit" and store that low seat setting with that profile.