Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S have different charging requirements than 3s on Tesla Wall Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this against the rules, let me know, but I posted this in the 3 forum and wondering if there would be more expertise on this in this S forum. Link

Just of the post:
My local gym has four level 2 chargers that used to all work without issue. Then about 6 months ago, only one of the 4 can charge a M3 at a time. If any of the other chargers are used(with or without cars on the others), a 4 red-light-blink is shown (fast forward to the 1:00 mark) - Video Link. When it goes through that charging attempt 4 times, it then stops trying to charge the car.

However, if a Model S parks in those spots, they seem to charge without issue (port is green as it charges - haven't seen an owner when I'm leaving to see charging speeds), Other 3s see the same error that I think has to do with load sharing based on what I found in the L2 charger manual. When I'm the only car there I charge at 208/48A. With two other S's today, I was at 208/26 amps, and when there is only one S I believe the amps went down to 38amps.

Is there something different with the 3s that would cause them to error out while the S's keep going? It seems like make a cable has loosened (but wouldn't that affect the S too?) or the slave toggles were changed for some unknown reason to drive this. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts. The engineer in me wants to flip the breaker and pull the cover to see what the rotary switches are set to.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

I did see your post over there, but didn't respond to it, because I have no idea and am completely stumped. There shouldn't be a difference there.

Oh, I am getting an idea. Maybe this is an amp difference, rather than a model of car difference. If the Model S cars are the older ones with the single 40A charger, then maybe those are getting by OK with how the wall connector sharing setup is, but the Model 3 is trying to pull 48A? I do think there is some mis-configuration in the wall connectors, though.

Yeah, the others are doing the 4 flashes when they error out, which is I think is the sharing setting. Just not sure how that would randomly trigger now, nor why the S would be able to power through it and the 3 can't.

image-png.728086