Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S headroom at door frame and pano roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings!
I am a new member to the Tesla forum. I have been watching Tesla for years now and really like the idea of getting my hands on a Model S at some point. I do have one request if someone would be able to help me out.
I ask because I haven't really found this information online. I also live in New Mexico, which does NOT have a Tesla sales or service center yet. I happen to be over 6' 5" tall (long torso) and would ask if someone might be able to provide me with some measurements.:)

1st measurement would be from the drivers seat up to the A pillar roof frame. I find as I sit down in smaller cars, my head hits the roof frame at the top of the A pillar. The distance from the seat cushion vertically to the frame would be a critical measurement. For those who have ever hit the side/top of your head getting in, you know what that's about.:eek:

2nd measurement would be from the drivers seat cushion vertically to the inside of the pano glass roof. I see where the metal roof and headliner is listed about 38.8 inches. That's not enough height for me-UGH. A pano roof would be the only way i could sit inside. I just haven't seen any firm numbers. I'm guessing it could be 41 inches or so.

I want to thank anyone who can provide some information on these measurements. I absolutely LOVE the Model S design and have been hoping to make it my next vehicle. Thank You in advance for your help.

Jeff p.

Welcome! I am currently visiting ABQ , but alas not in my Model S (am slumming it while driving my dad's Nissan Frontier). Anyway, I may be driving back to town in the next week in my S and would be happy to let you sit in it for you to judge for yourself.

Otherwise, you should check out the New Mexico owners group on Meetup. I think they have regular meet ups and I would think someone would let you check out their car. Feel free to pm me if you haven't been able to check one out in person in the next couple of weeks.

Jeff,

You're really going to want to find a physical MS to try this out for yourself, but, here are some data points as requested: I have Next Gen seats with a Pano. Driver seat position is as low as it goes, and I have a profile that pushes the seat back before I exit, so the front of the vertical side bolster is just behind the A-pillar (to avoid my butt wearing the edge of the seat leather as I get in and out).

1st measurement
- From top of the side seat bolster (which of course is higher than the seat cushion), directly up to the door frame is about 27.5". Note that your head would normally be a lot further back as you enter and exit, so...
- From the top of the side seat bolster in a slanted line back approximately parallel to the A-pillar and more where one's head would likely be getting in and out, that is closer to 31" to the top of the door frame where the weather gaskets are.

2nd measurement
- From the rear part of the bottom seat cushion vertically to the underside of the pano is about 40"

3rd measurement (that you didn't ask for, but will understand once you see an MS in person and sit in the seat)
- From the rear part of the bottom seat cushion to the roof headliner which runs alongside the pano and inside the door frames, it's 35". IMHO, with your height, this measurement combined with the 2nd one above is what you'll be most concerned with. You'll see that the driver's head when sitting perfectly vertical is under the pano, but the left side of your head may indeed rub against this headliner support if you don't remain perfectly still... It's the same issue when tall people sit in the rear seats on either side (not in the middle) -- as your head naturally moves from side-to-side, say around a corner or over bumps, you may find you're OK with the area directly below the pano, but you may rub this area on the left or right side depending where you're sitting. It was a consideration I noticed when I sat in MS at the showroom before ordering and is more apparent as you drive or ride in one.

Hope that helps, but I'd also suggest with your longer torso (I'm only 5'11", but have the longer-than-avg torso challenge like some others around here do), you'll want to pay close attention to if you can get the seat and steering wheel into a comfortable position that allows you to see the upper part of the Instrument Cluster. Even with my height that isn't close to yours, since the 7.1 IC redesign, I have to put the steering wheel much higher than is comfortable for me on long drives, and tilt the seat back further than I ever had to in previous Lexus, BMW and MBZ to see even the bottom half of the speed digits, let alone all the important Autopilot engagement and idiot lights above that, covered by the steering wheel. I have to still play a bit of goose neck games to occasionally look under the steering wheel to check if lights like Hill Assist are on or not. I've written to Tesla that they need to reconsider this in their UI choices and move more important info like Speed to the bottom of the IC so 100% of drivers can see it, but who knows if they'll do anything in a redesign one day.

Point being -- don't just worry about hitting your head, but you want to physically check comfort of seat & steering wheel on your shoulders and neck for longer drives, how your driver's seat position effects rear passenger legroom behind you if that's important, AND if you can see what you need to on the IC. Good luck with your pursuit!

Last edited:
Thank You for your inputs! Those have proven to be VERY useful. Of course, sitting in a Model S w/pano may be the best decider.
Led me to measure my sitting height (41 inches) on a flat surface. yeppers, long in the tooth. BertL, I hadn't thought about the head and side structure meeting in the pano area. It would be great for holding a head in those HARD right turns, but bumping off and on NOT so nice. Been there, done that.
Like other cars, leaning the seat BACK has been the only option. Thank you both for your help. Bluefuego, I think catching up with the locals may be a quick way of making a sizeable decision. Ugh, if only to be normal size.....;)
Maybe a Model S convertible is in order!
Regards,
jeff

hey jeff,

the answer is it's pretty terrible. My mother has problem getting in and out of my car as she is 63 years old and have difficulties bending as she sits down.

The roofline is similar to a mercedes CLS, Audi A5/a7 sportback, Volkswagen passat CC and any of the "grancoupes" from bmw.

Getting in and out of my C63 with full bucket front seats were easier for my mother.

Jeff,

You're really going to want to find a physical MS to try this out for yourself, but, here are some data points as requested: I have Next Gen seats with a Pano. Driver seat position is as low as it goes, and I have a profile that pushes the seat back before I exit, so the front of the vertical side bolster is just behind the A-pillar (to avoid my butt wearing the edge of the seat leather as I get in and out).

1st measurement
- From top of the side seat bolster (which of course is higher than the seat cushion), directly up to the door frame is about 27.5". Note that your head would normally be a lot further back as you enter and exit, so...
- From the top of the side seat bolster in a slanted line back approximately parallel to the A-pillar and more where one's head would likely be getting in and out, that is closer to 31" to the top of the door frame where the weather gaskets are.

2nd measurement
- From the rear part of the bottom seat cushion vertically to the underside of the pano is about 40"

3rd measurement (that you didn't ask for, but will understand once you see an MS in person and sit in the seat)
- From the rear part of the bottom seat cushion to the roof headliner which runs alongside the pano and inside the door frames, it's 35". IMHO, with your height, this measurement combined with the 2nd one above is what you'll be most concerned with. You'll see that the driver's head when sitting perfectly vertical is under the pano, but the left side of your head may indeed rub against this headliner support if you don't remain perfectly still... It's the same issue when tall people sit in the rear seats on either side (not in the middle) -- as your head naturally moves from side-to-side, say around a corner or over bumps, you may find you're OK with the area directly below the pano, but you may rub this area on the left or right side depending where you're sitting. It was a consideration I noticed when I sat in MS at the showroom before ordering and is more apparent as you drive or ride in one.

Hope that helps, but I'd also suggest with your longer torso (I'm only 5'11", but have the longer-than-avg torso challenge like some others around here do), you'll want to pay close attention to if you can get the seat and steering wheel into a comfortable position that allows you to see the upper part of the Instrument Cluster. Even with my height that isn't close to yours, since the 7.1 IC redesign, I have to put the steering wheel much higher than is comfortable for me on long drives, and tilt the seat back further than I ever had to in previous Lexus, BMW and MBZ to see even the bottom half of the speed digits, let alone all the important Autopilot engagement and idiot lights above that, covered by the steering wheel. I have to still play a bit of goose neck games to occasionally look under the steering wheel to check if lights like Hill Assist are on or not. I've written to Tesla that they need to reconsider this in their UI choices and move more important info like Speed to the bottom of the IC so 100% of drivers can see it, but who knows if they'll do anything in a redesign one day.

Point being -- don't just worry about hitting your head, but you want to physically check comfort of seat & steering wheel on your shoulders and neck for longer drives, how your driver's seat position effects rear passenger legroom behind you if that's important, AND if you can see what you need to on the IC. Good luck with your pursuit!

If have any lingering concerns, after sitting in one, I would heartily recommend renting one for a day or two. Unfortunately I am not at all familiar with available rentals, other than San Diego, but one or more are routinely advertised here.

It is simply impossible to form an accurate and comprehensive impression of a given vehicle, after simply going for a 20 minute test ride.

Just plan a nice little mini vacation, and absorb the cost.

Scannerman

Well, I had an opportunity to check out a local Model S P85D for sale. It was JUST traded this week. It was the very first time seeing a Tesla up close. As nice as i thought.
The dealer was nice enough to let me adjust the front seat and steering wheel for optimum space. The moment of truth was enlightening. While the seat did slide back quite a bit, I simply was never able to get between the door pillar, top frame and steering wheel. After a couple tries it wasn't going to happen. Yes,very disappointing, but not entirely unexpected. Having a sitting height of 41 inches simply would not work.. Add to that I don't bend in the middle like i used to. Insert a very long sigh here. :(

All the best!!!

Bummer - sorry the Model S isn't a good fit for your height. At 6'2", my husband is just able to get comfortable in the car - but everything is set to their extremes. Would the Model X be a better fit, or are you not interested in an SUV style vehicle?

Bummer - sorry the Model S isn't a good fit for your height. At 6'2", my husband is just able to get comfortable in the car - but everything is set to their extremes. Would the Model X be a better fit, or are you not interested in an SUV style vehicle?
I'll check into that when one shows up on the resale market in a few years. The price is a bit steep right now.
Oh well...

I've been following this forum for a while now, but this is my first post in quite a while.

I'm extremely concerned that I may not fit in the MS, too. I'm 6'5", mostly due to a lot of leg. I currently drive an Infiniti M35x, which is one of the leggier cars in its class, and it's a close fit. The MS has smaller published dimensions than my Infiniti, but driving position in the two cars may not be comparable.

I know that I need a fit test, and I had scheduled one that Tesla cancelled, and I haven't been able to reschedule.

Fingers crossed!

I've been following this forum for a while now, but this is my first post in quite a while.

I'm extremely concerned that I may not fit in the MS, too. I'm 6'5", mostly due to a lot of leg. I currently drive an Infiniti M35x, which is one of the leggier cars in its class, and it's a close fit. The MS has smaller published dimensions than my Infiniti, but driving position in the two cars may not be comparable.

I know that I need a fit test, and I had scheduled one that Tesla cancelled, and I haven't been able to reschedule.

Fingers crossed!

Dzanda:

I am BlueFuego's husband, and my current car is also an '06 Infiniti M35x (the Model S is hers). I'm 6'3" (in the morning, anyway) and the Model S fits me just fine. Just like the M35x, my saved seat position is pretty much all the way back and lowered as far as it will go, but I find the Model S to be at least as comfortable as the M35x. The only other accommodation I find I prefer is to use the active air suspension to raise the Model S 2" to its maximum height when parking to make getting in and out a little easier (it's a very low vehicle for those of us over 6' tall). And we've taken cross-country trips of several thousand miles in the Model S...it's one of the most comfortable and fun-to-drive cars I've ever been in. (Unlike the Lotus Exige I test drove once on a lark...I've never felt taller in my life!)

So even though you have a couple inches on me, based upon my experience, I'd definitely reschedule a test drive/fit test...as I love driving the Tesla whenever she'll let me. :)

Reactions: newtman