TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S High Speed Acceleration

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MartyL, Jan 1, 2018.

1. MartyL

MartyL Member

I have a Model S 75D that's been "unlocked". The other day I was cruising at 80 MPH and I stepped down on the accelerator and I noticed that the car accelerated from that point very slowly. My battery was at least 3/4 full and the air temperature was about 65 F. Acceleration at lower speeds is very quick so I was surprised when this time it was very slow. Given that my top speed is reportedly about 130 MPH (not that I would go there), is what I experienced normal?

2. Takumi

Takumi Member

3. Haxster

Haxster Member

Acceleration from 80 to 110 is leisurely. But after 110...watch out for the red lights in your rear view mirror.

4. Haxster

Haxster Member

I csn't comment on uncorked S 75Ds,. but my S 90D gets from 80 to 100 very quickly.

5. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

Yes it’s normal, although I wouldn’t say it’s slow. Try driving another car. Maybe your Tesla has spoiled you.

Electric motors lose power at higher RPMs because of back EMF. That is why supercars starts to pull past the Model S at higher speeds.

6. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

'Very slowly' seems abnormal. It's less pronounced than 0-80, but our S85 and P85 both hopped when they were pushed at freeway speeds.

7. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I find that the higher voltage battery packs like the 85/90/100 are a lot better at high speed acceleration. Uncorking brought the 0 to 75 ish performance in line, but I still find my 100D rocks at high end acceleration compared to an uncorked 75D loaner.

• Informative x 1
  8. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Loaners are normally speed limited, so not really a valid comparison. I have a MS75D and got a 100D loaner when they were doing the uncorking and other stuff. I was impressed with the acceleration and was wondering how my car would compare to the 100D when I got it back. Then I needed to accelerate to change lanes for an exit -- pfft -- nothing there. Then I realized it was in demo mode.

• Funny x 1
  9. KidDoc

KidDoc Supporting Member

I have a 2014 S85 and I have no issues with 80-110 mph acceleration. Makes passing on Texas two lane roads a dream.

10. LosAltosChuck

LosAltosChuck Member

Also make sure your car hasn’t been governed. When I first received my S75D the governor was on. Perhaps they accidentally enabled the governor when you got uncorked. Or maybe you’re in valet mode. That governs top speed too.

For me, with my uncorked 75D, performance above 80 is still peppy, but not 0-60 level acceleration. Nor would I expect that level of pep to continue all the way up the speed range.

• Informative x 2
  11. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

That’s a good point — I had forgotten to consider that loaners are governed and that could’ve completely thrown off my results. I don’t recall at this point whether I tried to punch it above 80 by much in the loaner.

12. MartyL

MartyL Member

Thanks everyone. My car was originally a loaner so I guess I should have it checked to see if it is governed.

13. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I was going to ask that, but then when you said they did the uncork -- I thought surely they would have caught that it was in demo...

14. MartyL

MartyL Member

You are probably right, but I'm going to make an appointment with Tesla Service and have them check.

15. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I think it can be reset remotely. Worth checking on that with them, anyway.

16. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Absolutely — roadside assistance can do this over the phone.

• Helpful x 1
  17. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

all the above is exactly why I got a P100D from an 85D

The non P AWD models quite simply variously run out of (erm) steam when accelarating past 50mph.
    The P just goes and keeps going. And that is what I was quite happy to pay my money for.

Nothing to beat that incredulous look on the Porsche/BMW M series drivers faces when they expect the "all torque at low speed electric" to fade but in reality the P easily takes them anywhere in double figures when they eventually catch up with you at the next set of lights.

Don't get me wrong all the MS are quick and very satisfying and we buy what we choose to afford, but the P100D has that considerable bit extra, interestingly that the P85D never did which is why I passed on that model (remember the old 691hp claim furore).

• Love x 2
  18. MartyL

MartyL Member

Thank you chillaban, BerTX and others!!! I contacted Tesla and this was their reply:

Thank you for reaching out to our service support team!
    I did find your vehicle did have a speed limiter on it as it was a loaner. My apologies that we had not removed it before.
    I have removed the limiter now so you should be able to drive normally.

• Like x 5
  19. Bluechip

Bluechip Member

Thumbs Up!

20. Gen3

Gen3 Member

let us know how much better it is when you can