Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S High Speed Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
all the above is exactly why I got a P100D from an 85D

The non P AWD models quite simply variously run out of (erm) steam when accelarating past 50mph.
The P just goes and keeps going. And that is what I was quite happy to pay my money for.

Nothing to beat that incredulous look on the Porsche/BMW M series drivers faces when they expect the "all torque at low speed electric" to fade but in reality the P easily takes them anywhere in double figures when they eventually catch up with you at the next set of lights.

Don't get me wrong all the MS are quick and very satisfying and we buy what we choose to afford, but the P100D has that considerable bit extra, interestingly that the P85D never did which is why I passed on that model (remember the old 691hp claim furore).
Same experience...P85D just didn't do it for me accelerating after 60. I went with a P90D Ludicrous, but your P100D would still own me :)

I have a Model S 75D that's been "unlocked". The other day I was cruising at 80 MPH and I stepped down on the accelerator and I noticed that the car accelerated from that point very slowly. My battery was at least 3/4 full and the air temperature was about 65 F. Acceleration at lower speeds is very quick so I was surprised when this time it was very slow. Given that my top speed is reportedly about 130 MPH (not that I would go there), is what I experienced normal?

the higher voltage on the bigger packs makes a noticeable difference about 60 or 70. The uncorking did wonders for under 60, but didn't do much for anything beyond that. It's one of the unwritten benefits to the 100D vs. a 75D.