TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S - Hillclimb

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Zextraterrestrial, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Zextraterrestrial

#1 Zextraterrestrial, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I did a hill climb this last weekend. pretty fun. It was like trying to drive part of the uphill teslive drive as fast as you can, although that road might have been more fun at speed?

Hoopa Hillclimb

The hill is Pine creek road in Hoopa, CA
    1160 vertical feet 2.2 miles

here are results by rank overall. only one other in my class
    http://www.rscc.net/pdf/Hoopa_2013_Final_Rank.pdf
    Tesla did pretty well considering the power limit for the long straight away + my crappy driving. Next year I will set a record!

this was my first run ever! I got red flagged due to the car in front of me throwing a rod halfway up the hill. ( he swapped motors that night and ran the next day.. it was a VW dune buggy)
    The Model S w/ safety feature
    F ext.JPG

'Unfortunate' 370z -Driver was ok just minor scratch. This was his second run and he was going to probably be king of the hill. That car was really fast.
    370z.JPG

A Tesla 'T'
    photo(2).JPG

And the king of the hill (and the most expensive car running by a large margin of $)
    photo(2).JPG

This was my last run and fastest. I did a couple of corners ok near the bottom of the hill but most were not great. Tough to learn a road in just a couple of runs and try and be safe

2. mark

mark Member

Nicely done - glad you were safe.
    What was your Whr/mi?

3. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

#3 EdA, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
    Yeah, it would have been fun to see the dash (speedometer, energy meter, and of course what song you were playing :) )

4. Gear

Gear Member

Dude, these are sanctioned events. They close off the roads for them. He didn't break a single law.

5. ilg

ilg Some guy on the Internet.

Geez, Realtor, calm down. It was obviously an organized event. (RSCC Home Page) I'm guessing that they closed the road to normal traffic for the duration and had the whole thing permitted.

6. lloyds

lloyds Member

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Curious about the fire extinguisher. Is that a "requirement" for an event like this? Seems odd when there's no flammable fuel on board an EV.

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Old laws die hard.

9. Gear

Gear Member

Yeah, probably easier to just go with it and install the fire extinguisher than to argue why it doesn't make sense.

10. Zextraterrestrial

#10 Zextraterrestrial, Jul 31, 2013
    Yep, I questioned the F ext. but they said electrical fires can happen too... I just figured maybe I'll see a gas car on fire and need it :tongue:

I wanted to put a cam in the car also but tried to get a go-pro too late to add a second camera.
    Maybe for the next one...I'm plan on signing up today :biggrin: (Aug 17-18)

I only ran one run with music - and it was my fastest run.

played - Groove Holmes
    since it was 2:20 and then I'd know how close I was to the finish at the time the music stopped

the whole album is pretty good instrumental.

11. Zextraterrestrial

here is the elevation data from the first run w/ the flag

elevation run 1.jpg
    it is a little strange how it dips a bit near turns but I had it in my center console area and it is a pressure based elevation device for RC airplanes/ helis.
    the overall is pretty good and you can see it maintained the calibration when I came back down for a rerun.

12. AC1K

AC1K Member

well its always good to have one, even if not for yourself,

13. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Great video. The slight whine sounds like you have turbo!

14. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Awesome! I so want to do the Maryhill Loops hill climb with the Audi club here in WA next month but have prior commitments.

Must have been eerie for the corner workers to have a silent car fly by :) Any interesting comments from people there?

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'm signed up for this one, EA. I'll probably juice up a bit in Ellensburg on the way.

16. Zextraterrestrial

#16 Zextraterrestrial, Aug 9, 2013
    Nice. I was going to do the Bible creek but i think i'll wait until next year. and just do autocross next weekend instead.
    Everyone loved that I had the car out there. 50% of racers were from out of California. They all loved the silence and how fast it is out of corners. It smokes the first half of the hill then gets a little slower for the end but still pretty fast

here is my run group near the top of the hill - 'turn 10' is a straightaway right before the last hard corner. I should have as much speed as the fastest cars If I wasn't power limited, still not slow thought.