Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Hitch discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla_car-pic_Sun-Frost.jpg

...JB Straubel (co-founder of Tesla Motors) picked up his Sun Frost RF16 along with a cabinet. He made the 300 mile trip from Arcata, CA to Menlo Park, CA with one re-charge.
(He seems to like to put hitches on his EVs...)

Last edited:
Has anyone considered towing extra batteries? I imagine you could easily get another 50-100KW/Hr pack for touring. That'd be a combined range of at least 600 miles without the hassle of fuel/noise/exhausts/explaining to people that the engine is only temporary.

I guess that the biggest challenges would be: Cost, the connecting cable, firmware to understand the big battery & time to charge at destination if you don't have 70A on tap.

Has anyone considered towing extra batteries?...

Yeah, that was one of the ideas that was discussed a bunch in the early days. And the fuel powered generator trailer too.
It seems quick charge and pack swap won out as the more mainstream idea of interest.

Some of it boiled down to the idea that American's generally don't like to pull trailers with small cars. (Parts of Europe tend to be rather different.)

I intend to make a hitch for my S - just to mount a bike rack. I've made them for my Boxster, my Prius and a friends BMW Z3.

There is no way to know how hard it will be until I get my Model S and have a chance to remove the rear undertray and look underneath it.
The Prius has two tow hooks at the back of the car that you can remove and attach a hitch mount to.
The Model S is going to have to have some kind of tow hook attachment points - hopefully they will be under the car instead of behind a little square door in the bumper.