Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Hitch discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you Chad for the use of your Model S. It truly was an awesome experience for us. We hope you enjoy it as much as we did engineering it.

We launched the Model S contest back in August of this year. We have reached a milestone and the first ever Tesla Model S Ecohitch has been born! The units are available for pre-order starting Tuesday, October 30th. The units weigh only 29 lbs on the vehicle and is made out of 100% USA steel. They are 100% no drill and 100% stealth/invisible when not in use. This is our lightest EcoHitch yet! Did we mention that they carry a lifetime guarantee? Thats right. Lifetime Guarantee.

They have a towing capacity of 2,000 lbs. pulling weight, and 200 lbs. tongue weight. They are intended for bike rack use or towing at your discretion.

We will be offering both 1.25" and 2" sizes. We do have specs regarding towing heights with relation to the suspension height you set on your vehicle. I.E Very high, high, standard, and low. More to come on our website in the next couple days. Including pictures from all angles, etc.

We are so excited to bring to you the Model S hitch. It truly is an amazing revolutionary trailer hitch for the worlds most revolutionary electric vehicle.

Stay tuned!

Starting on Tuesday the 30th, please visit Torklift Central - Tesla Model S Ecohitch Trailer Hitch Coming Soon|Ecohitch|Seattle|Kent|Auburn|Puyallup|Tacoma|Renton|Covington|Sumner|Bellevue|Burien|Enumclaw|WA for the pre-order information.

-Torklift Central

You can pre-order the hitch on our website http://www.shop.tlcentral.com. We do ship worldwide. In the lower 48 states shipping is free. They can be installed by yourself, but we do recommend a body shop to perform the installation as you do have to remove the bumper skin from the back of the vehicle. Body shops can do this very quickly and efficiently. Our similar model for the volt has seen huge success. Majority of those customers have taken it to a body shop and have paid far less than any installation facility.

You can pre-order the 2" and the 1.25" model starting today.

Thanks

You can pre-order the hitch on our website http://www.shop.tlcentral.com. We do ship worldwide. In the lower 48 states shipping is free. They can be installed by yourself, but we do recommend a body shop to perform the installation as you do have to remove the bumper skin from the back of the vehicle. Body shops can do this very quickly and efficiently. Our similar model for the volt has seen huge success. Majority of those customers have taken it to a body shop and have paid far less than any installation facility.

You can pre-order the 2" and the 1.25" model starting today.

Thanks

Have you checked with Tesla about how they feel about your hitch and if there could be any issues with the warrantee by the use of your product?

I'm wondering if tlcentral would consider making a Euro style hitch. Or if there is a European company we could approach? The Euro hitch has a round ball on which you attach you trailer or other accessory. Also, there is an electrical inlet/outlet which you will attach for turn signals and break lights (wired to the cars lights so that they are synchronized of course). I'll attach an image if anyone on the other side of the Atlantic is interested. Note that in this image the ball is rusty and the electrical outlet is covered by a plastic cover that can be folded up to expose the plug.
3r2sr2uad1dz6fhnqbdh.jpg

need for a hitch

Yes, HIGHLY interested and happy to see this option availble, in fact this have been my one and only consern ordering a Tesla - no hitch is a major problem for me, and require our familly to keep another car (ICE) until a EV comes with a HITCH....

as said - here in europe we also need electric outlet along with the hitch - I truly hope Tesla will consider make a factory option (for a price) atleast the PRE-wiring for a after marked hitch or even better, make a factory Hitch option for us to buy already monted on delivery :)
a 7 way round trailer hitch outlet is the most common but meny newer cars come with a 13 way (don't know why, as all trailers have 7 ways plugh and therefore need an adaptor).

An after maked Hitch will in meny EU countryes require atleast a TÜV certification.

Im full aware of the limitation of 2000 lbs and reduced ability to drive long trips, but for us over here, we just need this when going small trips for shopping large items or going to the waste/recycling space with garden waste (witch is not suiteble inside the car) - this typically weighs less then 500 lbs, leaving plenty of weigth for a small trailer.

at pressent I have a peogout 207sw with 75 hp - this small car can handle a trailer well, I asume it would not be a problem for a heavy 400 hp Tesla to do the same - I really dont see why a hitch should be problem, as long as only 2000 lbs are allowed.

Also handy when our kids go to school in the morning, they offen take theire bike to school and we parrent go greb them after school with the car, its nice to have the option to have the bike with them home (not inside the car as the bike is pretty dirty here in winther time).

Im about to prepere for Model S to arrive - part of this is to change it to a closed garage - mainly since I would like the model S battery pack to keep warm when frost outside..
one of the first step is extend it 1 meter and cut down a tree - for that work I need a hitch and a trailer (witch I still have)
garden waste.jpg

It was a rainy day to day, so I wouldn't like to have the green stuff inside any car

Have you checked with Tesla about how they feel about your hitch and if there could be any issues with the warrantee by the use of your product?

This is very good thinking. While it is not specifically mentioned in the current version of the warranty, I would recommend contacting Tesla first. I imagine their primary concern would be overloading the motor by towing something heavy.

Was there any word about a hitch violating the warranty?

Also, does anyone know of a rear hitch bike rack for a tandem?
Any other tandem riders out there? (Besides you Jim).

/Ed

Was there any word about a hitch violating the warranty?

Also, does anyone know of a rear hitch bike rack for a tandem?
Any other tandem riders out there? (Besides you Jim).

/Ed
Regarding tandem hitch racks, suggest you take a look at Draftmaster. They are the only ones, to my knowledge, who have a good hitch solution for tandem bikes. I carry our tandems on the roof of our minivan and it's brutal for gas mileage. I just had this fear of being rear ended with $7k+ of bikes on the back so bought their car top model.

Regarding tandem hitch racks, suggest you take a look at Draftmaster. They are the only ones, to my knowledge, who have a good hitch solution for tandem bikes. I carry our tandems on the roof of our minivan and it's brutal for gas mileage. I just had this fear of being rear ended with $7k+ of bikes on the back so bought their car top model.

Thanks John. I had a Thule roof rack for my old car and then had two minivans - which could store the bike inside!
I was a bit spoiled after that...I'm a bit paranoid (about scratches) about getting my tandem up onto the roof of the Model S.

/Ed

Have anyone contacted EcoHitch to hear if they can supply a round ball type hitch to us EU customers ? (and what about the electric wiring)
For bicycles or actually towing something?

I know that in the Netherlands they register how much KG a car (license) is allowed to tow. For example my Auris Hybrid has a "fake" hitch which I'm only allowed to use for a bicycle-rack, if I start towing something I'll get a very, very high fine.

My car's registration says: Maximum allowed tow weight: 0kg

I just reviewed the ecohitch video once again and wondering what the round thing with a wire are below the rear bumper ?
see picture
could this be a airbag release censor ? (I guess if a rear impact ocur) - if so the hitch seams to make a diffrent
it could also be that in order to maintain the function it would require the round thing to be moved so it is placed on the hitchs pole instead - this way it is still released in an impact.
but the video does no reveal what happens to this (the tech removes it, but video does not show it is been replaced )

hitch.png

I'd really like to order one of these Torklift 1.25" hitches for my Model S. Has anyone ordered and installed one? Did Tesla Service install it? Any comments on warranty impacts? I don't want to tow anything. I just want to be able to put a bike rack on the back.