Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Hitch discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd really like to order one of these Torklift 1.25" hitches for my Model S. Has anyone ordered and installed one? Did Tesla Service install it? Any comments on warranty impacts? I don't want to tow anything. I just want to be able to put a bike rack on the back.

StephRob

See my new thread I started yesterday.... I just had my Eco Hitch installed this weekend at an auto body shop. Took some pictures with my bike rack & bike attached.... Very happy with it!

Aaron

Torklift Central Eco Hitch Installed - Pictures

See my new thread I started yesterday.... I just had my Eco Hitch installed this weekend at an auto body shop. Took some pictures with my bike rack & bike attached.... Very happy with it!

Aaron, I did see that post. Most interesting. I realize you're only using for bikes, but did Torklift give you a sense of whether you can actually tow any kind of a trailer with Model S?

U-Haul needs a ModelS at their Tempe, AZ tech center to design a hitch. They already have one for the Roadster which can be ordered (and installed) thru your local U-haul Store (I need to get mine!). They will need to have your ModelS for up to 5 days to design the prototype. For lending your car you get to keep the handmade hitch for free. Whether it is the actual prototype or #2 made up fresh from the original, who knows, bit of semantics here, but it is yours to keep! Call Dustin: 480.580.0358 or email: <[email protected]>

I would do this but it is 1100 miles away.
--

Aaron, I did see that post. Most interesting. I realize you're only using for bikes, but did Torklift give you a sense of whether you can actually tow any kind of a trailer with Model S?

mknox

They don't recommend towing anything actually.... But I thought I read somewhere that you possibly "could" tow 2000 lbs... Anyone else remember hearing that?

You can buy the Eco Hitch in 1.25" and 2" versions by the way.... It seems to bolt on quite securely to the rear frame so in theory it could work. I myself have/will never need to tow anything -- just need my bikes to come along for the ride!

Aaron

We appreciate all of the feedback about the EcoHitch from Torklift Central. If you have any questions about the hitch, please refer all questions to [email protected] for a quick and detailed response.

In honor of National Plug in Day 2013 Torklift Central is offering $25 off their hitches.

For more information you can visit torkliftcentral.com/pluginday2013
Shipping is free to the lower 48 states to help reduce cost.

Use promo code: Pluginday2013
Expires October 5th 2013

Does anyone know of an installer of the torklift hitch in the San Diego area? My MS is on its way and the first thing I need is a hitch (for cycling). Tork lift gave me a shop in Costa Mesa but I prefer to find someone in San Diego, if possible.

UHaul has had a standing request for any MS owner from the Phoenix, AZ area (or anywhere!) to let them use their car as a template for a new trailer hitch. Will take a few days to complete, but the donee gets a new hitch installed for free. No one has yet done this so UHaul only has a hitch for the Roadster.

The only existing MS hitch is from Eco_Hitch which is well documented here on TMC.

The problem with the Eco_Hitch is that it drops down to the bottom of the bumper where the 90 degree hitch-bar is attached. Thus there is an offset (a 'torque arm') that applies twisting forces to the bumper mount points. This is not specifically what the bumper mount points were designed for; they expect only forward/backward or shear (up/down/sideways) forces which they properly transmit thru the unibody of the car.

But the Eco_Hitch is meant only for light (200 lb max) static loads like a bike rack or a carrying platform so what little torque arm twisting forces they offer to the unibody is minimal. Thus it is authorised by the manufacturer only for these uses and not for pulling trailers.

Any trailer as it is being pulled down the highway will impart pull/push shock forces into the hitch mount points. So the solution with the MS is to move the hitch bar to be perfectly inline with the unibody mounting points where these forces can be distributed without stress. This is easy to do, it just will have the hitch receiver up in the middle of the bumper where you will bang into it with your knee. But so be it, a rubber bumper can be stuffed into the receiver when a trailer is not hooked up.

If the small trailer is no longer level one solution would be to put an offset into the trailer tongue as far from the bumper as possible. This is a lot of work but might be worth it for a sleeper trailer. A drop-down hitch bar is the obvious solution. This will re-introduce some (but not all) of the torque-arm effect of the Eco_Hitch.

For most pulling such as flatbeds (ATV, snow-sleds, cycles, cargo, there is no problem hooking up to the level of the MS bumper center. Also boat trailers and tow bars for flat-towing tiny autos will work fine.

I will be making one up ASAP for a cross country trip and will take notes and measurements before it is buttoned up and pressed into service.
--

FYI: I had my hitch installed today in San Diego by this impressive body shop (the parking lot had several of Ferraris and other expensive cars):

West Coast Specialties
7686 Formula Place
San Diego, CA 92121
Phone: (858) 549-8226

Talk to Ryan. He installed mine for $350 which I thought was very reasonable.

TRAILER HITCH using existing cross-member inside rear bumper:

MS-trailer.hitch.jpg

MS-trailer.hitch.a.jpg

MS-trailer.hitch.b.jpg

MS-trailer.hitch.c.jpg

Stainless steel is used for the thinner plate. 3 inch = distance from ss plate to beginning of pin hole, a distance based on conjecture. Should allow for a bit of clearance to swivel pin or use a locking pin.

This design maximizes strength fore <-> aft leaving up/down (tongue weight) strength to be what it is. Intended use at its most severe is for flat towing on 4 wheels (a Toad) where tongue weight hardly exists but towed weight could approach 2500 lbs.

Next: wiring for trailer lights.
--

Tesla MS hauling 1000 lb up Happy Jack - YouTube

Tesla MS hauling 1000 lb up Happy Jack (WY210 west of Cheyenne)

Testing custom built trailer hitch on MS sedan. 750 lb of logs on 250 lb 4x6 flatbed trailer. As viewed on 17 inch dashboard screen. Same view as you would see looking out rear window (in U.K.!!). Road recently rebuilt so incredibly smooth. MS to driver: "You call this a LOAD??"

Energy hit pulling this: A 36 mile section used up 52 miles pulling this, compared to 40 miles solo on colder day. That would be a 1.3 factor, but YMMV.

Today's test: began @261 miles rated, arrived Cheyenne SC with 108 remaining (distance = 152 miles). Tailwinds.
Charged to 248 miles, drove 152 miles, arrived home with 39 remaining (net climb of 1200 ft). Headwinds.

Bottom Line: try to leave the SC with a 100 mile cushion. :biggrin:
--

Last edited by a moderator:
At time 0:08 your display is showing two warnings (2)!...tire pressure?
What was the energy usage? Would have been nice to show the camera and energy simultaneously.
Any uphill in your trek?

No better vehicle to accomplish this task with? Did you keep the suspension high?
So many questions...

At time 0:08 your display is showing two warnings (2)!...tire pressure?
What was the energy usage? Would have been nice to show the camera and energy simultaneously.
Any uphill in your trek?

No better vehicle to accomplish this task with? Did you keep the suspension high?
So many questions...

TPMS, what TPMS! Ok, tires: All 4 between 47.5 & 48.5. Trailer tires at 60 lbs which is proper for 500 lb load per each (1050 max @90 lb). Never got warm. Replaced Key Batt but warning persists possibly because shelf-aged batt was only 3.0v, not the expected 3.2v(?).

Energy usage- What matters to me is the miles, thats what I go by. With energy graphs flying every which way who can make sense of them?

Home(7400ft) - up 1600 - down 1700 - up 1300 - down 2400 - Cheyenne(6200ft).

Task? This was a test for Cleveland to Cheyenne SC Highway run in May where I'm bringing 600 lb (crated) worth of audio equipment. Test proves a smooth ride for this amount of weight on this particular trailer. You don't want factory fresh product being vibrated to pieces due to too heavy springing. Happy Jack actually too smooth a road to show the nice spring action of this rig. I chose 700 lb of yard material that I could jettison if need be and suffer no loss. Always good to approach a test with zero confidence. Suspension always set to STANDARD. Tongue weight ~60 lbs.

MS.trailer.test.a.jpg

--

This is very good thinking. While it is not specifically mentioned in the current version of the warranty, I would recommend contacting Tesla first. I imagine their primary concern would be overloading the motor by towing something heavy.

I don't think the motor would be their primary concern. The motor is capable of providing more than enough torque to pull something heavy, and there are already protections in place to avoid the motor overheating. (The car will limit power to the motor if it, or the battery, gets hot.)

Update on my custom MS trailer hitch, the one that uses the aluminum crossmember in the MS. I have front-loaded my trailers as much as possible to test the durability of this design, even when positioning the load a bit rearward would have been called for. To date no looseness or bending has occurred which is gratifying. No handling issues have arisen either with the MS. Having a long wheelbase tow vehicle is ideal for towing, massive brakes a big plus.
--