Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S hits 130 Miles on the Autobahn in Germany

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What could be the range at that speed ?? 100 kms ? when we see the ranger going down so fast on the video...!!
Model S Efficiency and Range | Blog | Tesla Motors

Quick and dirty MsPaint extrapolation:

ModelS_RangeVsSpeed_Extrapolation.png

Looks like just over 40 miles for 133mph.

A second gear would not really help with the efficiency. It would allow for a higher top speed. Given the curve above it's dubious whether the car could actually sustain a higher speed.

The original Roadster had 2 speeds, but they never got those gearboxes working properly. All cars with 2 speed transmissions were later retrofitted with single speed gearboxes.

The extra energy all goes to moving air forward and aside. Kinetic energy goes as speed squared, so the requirement doubles going between 50 and 70 mph. (2500 vs 4900.)

Save 130 mph for the racetracks. On the public roads, you endanger others.

Autobahn speed differences between adjacent lanes can be 60 mph. Imagine flying an airplane at 130 mph down the outside lane, passing cars doing a mere 70 mph. A driver looks to see if he can switch lanes, sees nothing, and gets hit.

Last edited:
It all goes to moving air forward and aside. Kinetic energy goes as speed squared, so the requirement doubles going between 50 and 70 mph.
No this law is actually E=(1/2)mv^2, and energy only goes up 41.67% from 50 to 70. But it doesn't matter, since this is entirely the wrong law to apply to this situation. Maybe you should google Newton's first law.

Save 130 mph for the racetracks. On the public roads, you endanger others.
Physics aren't different in Germany. Your statement is entirely arbitrary.

No this law is actually E=(1/2)mv^2, and energy only goes up 41.67% from 50 to 70.
V^2 means 70mph has 1.96x the KE of the 50mph.

But it doesn't matter, since this is entirely the wrong law to apply to this situation. Maybe you should google Newton's first law.
This point is correct, the right law to apply is drag, although it also goes with velocity squared.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)

However, other overhead losses that have nothing to do with speed means the overall loss does not scale the same way (not 2x at 70mph vs 50mph).

I've driven the autobaun many times and have to say I feel a lot safer there than driving in North America. The driver's require extensive training ( unlike us foreigners ) and move immediately to the right lane after passing a car. Because of the speed difference between lanes, there is rarely someone driving 80 mph right beside you for any period of time.
Besides the adrenaline keeps one alert and concentrating on driving. (IMHO):wink:

It's amazing how fast the MS is off the line but how slow the acceleration is at higher speeds. It seems to take forever for it to go to 132. I counted about 15 seconds from 70-132. My Viper does 0-132 in faster than that but feels slower off the line.

It's amazing how fast the MS is off the line but how slow the acceleration is at higher speeds. It seems to take forever for it to go to 132. I counted about 15 seconds from 70-132. My Viper does 0-132 in faster than that but feels slower off the line.
It's the gearing and the torque curve (torque is flat for a while but goes down at higher rpms).