Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Homelink Details?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @RSS-X (and everyone)

I did reprogram my car a not_really_sure_how_many_times and went for one more. This time is a good bit better. I can consistently open the door if I am within 10ft. Not the best, but not terrible either.

Maybe I used a different remote - not sure. Have a bunch around.

I have a "same button opens and closes" system. No way I'd trust Homelink to auto-close. I do use auto-open because it's super convenient. But one time after a reboot I was about to back out of the garage and the car's GPS must have just finished initializing and the car made the "bing" noise and the garage door closed. Somehow it thought I was arriving home and did the auto-open. Good thing I hadn't started moving yet, but it could have been a bad situation. So now I'm very careful about rebooting in the driveway instead of the garage.

I have a "same button opens and closes" system. No way I'd trust Homelink to auto-close. I do use auto-open because it's super convenient. But one time after a reboot I was about to back out of the garage and the car's GPS must have just finished initializing and the car made the "bing" noise and the garage door closed. Somehow it thought I was arriving home and did the auto-open. Good thing I hadn't started moving yet, but it could have been a bad situation. So now I'm very careful about rebooting in the driveway instead of the garage.

Yup. I only use auto open. I don’t trust auto close, I’d always be looking back to be sure the door was closing anyway!

I have two garage doors with two different Chamberlain openers bought several years apart. The older one is on 315 MHz and the car has to almost touch the garage door to work. The newer one is on 390 MHz and works from the end of the driveway which is 75 feet from the house. I have several IP cameras and found that they all put out a spurious signal at 315 MHz which reduces the sensitivity of the 315 MHz GDO receiver. Liftmaster is one of Chamberlain's brands.

Close on departure works best if you face the garage, backing out. It works less better if you are exiting the garage face forward, like the Batmobile. Since I drive the Batmobile, I have to look in mirror to confirm that the door closes. Sometimes it doesn't and I have to get out and close it manually.

IIR you set the distance (when to open/close) by the GPS. Park the car where you think it should send the signal and set the Homelink from that spot. It remembers the GPS location.

Picked up my LR MX a few days ago, and wasn't able to get Homelink set up. I called tech Liftmaster tech support, and was told that they recommend the Liftmaster 891LM Remote for programming a Tesla. Ordered one from Amazon ~$25, and received it in two days. The remote programmed immediately, and once that was done, Homelink in the X programmed the first time. FWIW, I had LED bulbs in the opener, a Remote Keypad outside, and a Remote Operator inside the garage at the door to the house. Liftmasster tech support will walk you through the installation: 800-528-5880

I set the options to open the garage door on arrival, and close on departure. The open on arrival works, but I haven't seen the close of departure work yet. Anyone know how far away you have to be before the door closes? I'd like to see start to close before I leave.

Mine works when driving up to the garage. When leaving the garage if the car is pointed straight toward the garage, the garage door closes reliably but if I’ve started a turn while backing out so the front of the car is not aimed directly at the garage it often fails to close. I assume the signal must be somewhat directional from the front of the car.