Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the years Tesla has worked on algorithms to detect poor electrical connections so as not to burn your house down. You have a problem we can not solve. You may have a problem in your home the other Teslas can not detect. Try a WC somewhere else. If that works then call an electrician. If it doesn’t work then call Tesla for an appointment.

Justwn-

That pigtail is a hatchet job. You cannot wire a pigtail cord to the HPWC--the lugs are not rated for the fine stranded wire. Also, you do not have any (apparent) strain relief on the incoming cable powering the HPWC. This is a problem waiting to happen late at night.
Hey MN-MS100D,
Apologies for the ultra late reply I didn't notice this reply until recently as it didn't show up as a reply and I have been away from the site for a while, but just wanted to say I really appreciated your feedback.
This pic was just taken when I was testing out the unit to see if it would provide any amperage to the car, and the unit was stationary.
When I had it fully functional, via replacement of the contactors, I had installed proper strain relief, and crimped 6 AWG ferrules onto the stranded wire before inserting them into the lugs and the unit has been working well ever since. It is not moved at all, just unplugged from the NEMA 14-50 outlet when not in use for extended periods as we have a two 14-50 electrician installed receptacles in our garage.

Sorry for more bad news, but crimping a compression pin ("ferrule") over the fine stranded wire does not meet listing requirements for the termination at the HPWC lug. The lug in the HPWC does not accept a solid pin as a solution to the FSW issue at the size/ampacity wire you are using. You have exchanged one problem for another. The HPWC requires a standard stranding class copper conductor to be terminated, and a solid pin ferrule does not meet that requirement. See product below for a possible solution, but it probably doesn't fit in the cramped quarters of the HPWC.

PT42FX4_FCA_5.jpg