Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any buttons, displays or ability to make adjustments on the HPWC?

By code, HPWC's must not allow a "user" of the supply equipment to adjust it at run time because it represents hardwired infrastructure that must match the characteristics of the circuit feeding it. It is configurable during install time, but you may have to disconnect power and will have to remove the cover to change the settings.

Thank you. I've been reading up on Open EVSE (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment or something like that) and J17772 specifications. It is interesting that the EVSE can dial down the charge rate (actually asks the car to draw less) then back up during the charging process.

I fully understand the configuration during installation limitation of the HPWC.

I called Tesla on Monday to enquire whether my HPWC will arrive ahead of my car, due in early Feb, as I need to know what to tell my electrician. I was told no, they're on back-order, so it'll be 'a few months'. Sure seems like they have some manufacturing/supply issues with these things.

Per the bulletin board:

[UPDATE] WHEN WILL HIGH POWERED WALL CONNECTORS BE AVAILABLE?
nkinkaid@teslam... | JANUARY 17, 2013

High Powered Wall Connectors are in production and shipments have begun to early sequence owners. We will be ramping up production as quickly as possible.

That's good news, and it clears up the confusion about HPWC's shipping in reservation order or sequence order.

What is "reservation order"?

Based on some bad wording, there was speculation that Tesla was shipping HPWC's in the order that the HPWC's were ordered, and that some who didn't even have their cars would get HPWC's first (e.g., that reservation P#3 who ordered an HPWC would get his first, even if his car was configured as 40 kWh and won't get his car for months yet).

I realize my wording was confusing.

Your "order .. they were ordered" is the sequence number. In my mind, that's the same as reservation order. Reservation ID on the other hand is (as I understand it) more like a "website registration ID", and order isn't really all that interesting unless you want to track how long someone was interested in Tesla enough to register with the web site.

What you're describing as better I would call something more like "delivery order". Anyway, doesn't really matter. :)

Not meaning to be picky, just was confused by your original post.

If the mods think this is off topic feel free to move.

I currently have twin chargers spec'd but not the HPWC for a few reasons. First, I didn't want it on the original bill of sale for tax/cost-basis reasons (Virginia charges a yearly tax based on the value, and I wasn't sure if Tesla's bill of sale would properly separate accessories from the sale price.) Second, I'm not sure I really need it. 31mph charge rate is likely sufficient for me 99% of the time. Having said that, the idea of pulling out the mobile connector from the trunk every time I park my car at home and winding it back up on the way out sounds like a royal pain. A second option to the HPWC is to buy a second mobile EVSE, but Tesla isn't listing these for sale as an accessory.

Does anyone know if Tesla plans to sell the mobile EVSE as an accessory? Any idea on the price?

Given that Tesla is now saying they will deliver the HPWC in sequence number order, it's making me re-think adding the HPWC to my order, even if I run it at 40A for the convenience.

Andrew

If the mods think this is off topic feel free to move.

I currently have twin chargers spec'd but not the HPWC for a few reasons. First, I didn't want it on the original bill of sale for tax/cost-basis reasons (Virginia charges a yearly tax based on the value, and I wasn't sure if Tesla's bill of sale would properly separate accessories from the sale price.) Second, I'm not sure I really need it. 31mph charge rate is likely sufficient for me 99% of the time. Having said that, the idea of pulling out the mobile connector from the trunk every time I park my car at home and winding it back up on the way out sounds like a royal pain. A second option to the HPWC is to buy a second mobile EVSE, but Tesla isn't listing these for sale as an accessory.

Does anyone know if Tesla plans to sell the mobile EVSE as an accessory? Any idea on the price?

Given that Tesla is now saying they will deliver the HPWC in sequence number order, it's making me re-think adding the HPWC to my order, even if I run it at 40A for the convenience.

Andrew

I think your strategy is a good one. Twin chargers to future proof your car for that rare instance you find an 80A EVSE in the wild or visit a friend's house with a HPWC but save a little money but not getting the HPWC yourself for now at least.

Do you need to carry the mobile cable (UMC) with you at all times? Unless I'm going on a trip, I just leave it hanging over a garden hose hook from home depot in my garage so I'm not unplugging and plugging it in twice a day or more. They will sell an extra UMC on their website at some point if you want an extra one in your trunk but I'd guess it will be around $500 or so.

Your "order .. they were ordered" is the sequence number. In my mind, that's the same as reservation order. Reservation ID on the other hand is (as I understand it) more like a "website registration ID", and order isn't really all that interesting unless you want to track how long someone was interested in Tesla enough to register with the web site.

What you're describing as better I would call something more like "delivery order". Anyway, doesn't really matter. :)

Not meaning to be picky, just was confused by your original post.

Yeah, it is confusing trying to find the right wording. In my flu-A-and-pneumonia-induced-haze last night I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out how to say it and couldn't really do so decently. I think I have something that might work now.

It can't be "delivery order" because Tesla doesn't really keep a "delivery order" ranking, I don't think. Basically, it's by reservation sequence as long as the car has been delivered. Sorry, I've been sick for over a week now and just not thinking completely straight.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure where to look to see this. Don't see a link to "Bulletin Board"

It's on the Tesla Motors site, as part of the forums. If clicking on my link didn't take you there, log in to My Tesla, then click my link again. It's where they put the answers to the FAQ they get.

Chris: Please post some pictures of the HPWC enclosure, specifically the back side. I, and I assume others, have the 100 Amp conductors in place but have no idea of how the HPWC is going to "connect" to the secondary load center. By the way, do you have a Model S in your garage; and, what was your reservation sequence number... I am hoping to get the HPWC well be for taking delivery of the car in March.

I think your strategy is a good one. Twin chargers to future proof your car for that rare instance you find an 80A EVSE in the wild or visit a friend's house with a HPWC but save a little money but not getting the HPWC yourself for now at least.

Do you need to carry the mobile cable (UMC) with you at all times? Unless I'm going on a trip, I just leave it hanging over a garden hose hook from home depot in my garage so I'm not unplugging and plugging it in twice a day or more. They will sell an extra UMC on their website at some point if you want an extra one in your trunk but I'd guess it will be around $500 or so.

Do I need the UMC every day? No. Will I feel better having it with me in case something unexpected happens? Yes.

Chris: Please post some pictures of the HPWC enclosure, specifically the back side. I, and I assume others, have the 100 Amp conductors in place but have no idea of how the HPWC is going to "connect" to the secondary load center. By the way, do you have a Model S in your garage; and, what was your reservation sequence number... I am hoping to get the HPWC well be for taking delivery of the car in March.

I will take some pictures of the charger and post it this weekend. Yes, my model S is in the garage. I am P1690, VIN 1895.

I will take some pictures of the charger and post it this weekend. Yes, my model S is in the garage. I am P1690, VIN 1895.

There goes the "they're sending them out in order" theory! I'm Sig 304/VIN 542 and am waiting for the HPWC.

Curious if you have the updated software? I'm still on the original software (pre 4.0), and maybe you need the new software to use the HPWC, so they're sending the HPWCs out to people with the new software already? Is that possible?