Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery on 1/17 and was told to "expect about a month" before the HPWC comes in. Meanwhile i just slotted in a NEMA 6-50 outlet, and i've been pulling 40amps, gets me half full in a little over 4 hours. It'll be nice to get the HPWC though, so i can just keep the UMC in the car.

Meanwhile, i did have my first "public charger" success using the J1772 adapter - worked fine, but slow (30amps).

I took delivery on 1/17 and was told to "expect about a month" before the HPWC comes in. Meanwhile i just slotted in a NEMA 6-50 outlet, and i've been pulling 40amps, gets me half full in a little over 4 hours. It'll be nice to get the HPWC though, so i can just keep the UMC in the car.

Meanwhile, i did have my first "public charger" success using the J1772 adapter - worked fine, but slow (30amps).
So about 240 volts and 40 amps giving you the maximum 31 MPH charge. I assume that even if you were drawing more amps that still wouldn't increase your MPH more than 31?

So about 240 volts and 40 amps giving you the maximum 31 MPH charge. I assume that even if you were drawing more amps that still wouldn't increase your MPH more than 31?

Not sure I understand the question. With the HPWC you can draw up to 80A (with twin chargers), and 62 mph. The UMC will never draw more than 40A, regardless if that much current is available.

A

HPWC was installed earlier this week by Solar City. Took him about an hour (had a NEMA 6-50 before). He had to drill holes in the housing to feed the cable (break outs do not work as such). Charging is fast at 80A and the green light looks cool (similar to the mobile charger tells you if the car is charging or not.). Only problem I am having now, though is that the front plate comes off rather easily, exposing the internal circuitry! Screws are only at the bottom of the plate. The plastic anchors on top appear too flimsy to secure the cover. Definitely a safety hazard. Have contacted the ownership team.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Last edited:
The cable hanger does not come with the HPWC. Until the hanger/hook is available (it says in February) you will need to come up with your own solution.

Breakouts for the cable are on the left side and back only. I don't think you can feed the cable from the right side