Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My contractor just installed the HPWC on a 60amp breaker, but when I plugged in, it's only pulling 12 amps and charging 7 mph. Any ideas what the problem is? I looked in the manual and the lowest setting for dip switches is 40amps. Is it possible he left it in test mode?

What lights are showing on the cover is the first question. Should be green. Test mode is red, and I don't believe it will charge at all in test mode. 12 amps makes no sense unless it's running off 120 somehow and not 240; check the manual for the exact lights and if you feel capable, pull the cover and verify the settings. Or have the electrician come back and go over all the settings. Which he should have done before closing it up.

My contractor just installed the HPWC on a 60amp breaker, but when I plugged in, it's only pulling 12 amps and charging 7 mph. Any ideas what the problem is? I looked in the manual and the lowest setting for dip switches is 40amps. Is it possible he left it in test mode?
You're looking at the old manual. The current HPWC goes down to 15A breaker (12A charging), and uses a rotating switch (not DIP switches). Sounds like it was left on the lowest setting. See the new manual here:

Installation Manuals - Wall Connector

This is probably a noob question but when wiring the wall connector from a 2 pole breaker, its basically 2 hots and a ground and you ignore the neutral right? Im installing the new refresh wall connector that has the adjustable settings.

(i live in the USA too so its all single phase)

I have been having issues with my HPWC (I am on my second, the first contracted an intermittent split in the cable about 18inches from the outlet of the HPWC.

The problem was this,

All's well until I pug in, I get the reassuring clunk but then the lights near the charger port go dark blue and not green and the HPWC shows a single solid red. As soon as I disconnect, the HPWC goes back to single solid green. No amount of resets (of any flavour) and advice from Tesla support would cure this (stand on one leg, face east etc). My standard 3 pin charging cable was working fine so probably not the car and probably the HPWC.

Anyway the final advice from Tesla, that cured the issue, was to partially dismantle the HPWC and to move DIP switch 2 from upper to lower. Now I'm pretty sure the installation instructions say this setting is 'not available' and it categorically states that DIP2 must be set to upper at all times.

My question is, what does DIP 2 do (I have scanned forums etc and the consensus was 'nothing')?
Is this just snake oil from Tesla support?

Anyone else have similar issues?

It may be a coincidence but during the fault period, the unlock button for the charge port, on the HPWC, stopped working wheres the normal 3pin-cable unlock button worked fine. Some sort of comms issue??

Thanks in advance folks

I was not aware of that being an option on the car.
I purchased the wall unit and was told I could charge based on whichever breaker I wanted and that was it.
You can charge at a rate of up to 35 miles in an hour with he 48A on board charger in the new Model S75
and can charge at a rate of up to 52 miles in an hour with he 72A on board charger in the new Model S100.

BTW, the 72A high power option is rarely needed as you can get a full charge overnight in 7 hours at 48A :cool:

upload_2017-6-18_11-46-12.png

Last edited:
Does the HPWC have an integral GFCI ...? my HPWC 2 is terminated to a 50 AMP GFCI circuit breaker... it worked flawlessly for 2 months and tonight my HPWC was dark (no LED) and the breaker was tripped ... when i switched the breaker back on it kept tripping and the HPWC 2 did not come back online....
Any ideas could there be an issue with built-in Ground fault and my breaker with a ground fault interacting .....i would like some advice before electrician thanks

Does the HPWC have an integral GFCI ...? my HPWC 2 is terminated to a 50 AMP GFCI circuit breaker... it worked flawlessly for 2 months and tonight my HPWC was dark (no LED) and the breaker was tripped ... when i switched the breaker back on it kept tripping and the HPWC 2 did not come back online....
Any ideas could there be an issue with built-in Ground fault and my breaker with a ground fault interacting .....i would like some advice before electrician thanks
A GFCI is not required with the HPWC. Not sure if one is built in or not.

Does anyone know why the UK spec seems to indicate the max amps is 32, whereas the US one seems to indicate 80amps?

Are we being hard done by in the UK? I have a 3 phase supply into my house, but unless I'm missing something, at 32amp it's going to be no more beneficial than a single phase?

Does anyone know why the UK spec seems to indicate the max amps is 32, whereas the US one seems to indicate 80amps?

Are we being hard done by in the UK? I have a 3 phase supply into my house, but unless I'm missing something, at 32amp it's going to be no more beneficial than a single phase?
32 amps 3-phase is more than 80 amps single phase.
EU: 230VAC * 3 * 32A = 22kW
US: 240VAC * 80A = 19.2kW

Current Tesla cars cannot charge at 22kW. Only the dual charger classic Model S can do that. They changed to 16A and optionally 24A. So, the fastest you can charge a new Tesla is 16.5kW in Europe. US cars are 48A (11.5kW) or 72A (17.3kW)