Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
32 amps 3-phase is more than 80 amps single phase.
EU: 230VAC * 3 * 32A = 22kW
US: 240VAC * 80A = 19.2kW

Current Tesla cars cannot charge at 22kW. Only the dual charger classic Model S can do that. They changed to 16A and optionally 24A. So, the fastest you can charge a new Tesla is 16.5kW in Europe. US cars are 48A (11.5kW) or 72A (17.3kW)

Ah great thank you for the simple explanation. So when installing 3 phase, there is no setting inside the HPWC to tell it that it is 3 phase? It automatically knows it's not connected to a single phase then?

Last edited:
Ah great thank you for the simple explanation. So when installing 3 phase, there is no setting inside the HPWC to tell it that it is 3 phase? It automatically knows it's not connected to a single phase then?
The HPWC doesn't care what is passing through - 1 phase or 3 phase. As long as you connect it according to the manual it will get the power it needs for itself and the rotary dial setting inside will allow the unit to send the proper amperage signal to the car. In Europe, there is only one version of the Wall Connector and if you set the switch correctly inside, you can plug in any non-Tesla Type-2 vehicle for single phase or 3-phase charging.

I'm planning to install a HPWC for my mothers MS 85. It only has a single charger, so I'm leaning on just setting it up for a single 50 amp circuit. I currently have a p85 with dual chargers and have always just charged at 40 amps (just don't need 80 and its less efficient) My question is, should I pull a 6/2 wire that the HPWC requires (and from what I can see most j1772 chargers?) or pull a 6/3 wire to future proof for a 14-50 receptacle or some other standard? It doesn't seem like EV chargers need a neutral? Cost is another $120 for wiring, but if I don't need it and charging standards stay pretty much the same, its sounds like a waste of money.

Thanks!

I'm planning to install a HPWC for my mothers MS 85. It only has a single charger, so I'm leaning on just setting it up for a single 50 amp circuit. I currently have a p85 with dual chargers and have always just charged at 40 amps (just don't need 80 and its less efficient) My question is, should I pull a 6/2 wire that the HPWC requires (and from what I can see most j1772 chargers?) or pull a 6/3 wire to future proof for a 14-50 receptacle or some other standard? It doesn't seem like EV chargers need a neutral? Cost is another $120 for wiring, but if I don't need it and charging standards stay pretty much the same, its sounds like a waste of money.

Thanks!
Hot-Hot-Ground is enough wire for any charging station.

My first generation HPWC still charges the car, but the button no longer opens the charge port on either my 2012 or 2013 Model S. Is there any way to fix this? I can still open the charge port with the key fob, but the HPWC being unable to do so is annoying.

My first generation HPWC still charges the car, but the button no longer opens the charge port on either my 2012 or 2013 Model S. Is there any way to fix this? I can still open the charge port with the key fob, but the HPWC being unable to do so is annoying.

Does the button on your UMC still open the charge port? (Maybe the button in your HPWC is broken.)

Yup, the UMC button works just fine. I actually have an old school Roadster HPC with a Roadster to Model S adapter. The button on the adapter doesn't open the charge port either.

Anyone know if these buttons can be fixed?
The old Roadster HPC to Model S adapters never did open the charge port. The Model S connector has a small circuit board that is powered by a 3.3v power supply in the HPWC. The Roadster HPCs didn't have this power supply.

I would start by peeling the silver plate off the connector to expose the small circuit board. See if it has 3v going to it. There are two switches that get activated at the same time when you press the button. Determine which one activates the transmitter and test it. If the switch is working then probably the transmitter is bad.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: shrink and MP3Mike
The old Roadster HPC to Model S adapters never did open the charge port. The Model S connector has a small circuit board that is powered by a 3.3v power supply in the HPWC. The Roadster HPCs didn't have this power supply.

I would start by peeling the silver plate off the connector to expose the small circuit board. See if it has 3v going to it. There are two switches that get activated at the same time when you press the button. Determine which one activates the transmitter and test it. If the switch is working then probably the transmitter is bad.

Huh, good to know, Henry. Thanks for this info. I did not realize that about the Roadster adapter. Will try to pop open the plate on the HPWC this weekend and see what I find.

Thanks!

I bought an 85 S third-party that did have the Dual Chargers. I went ahead and wired my hpwc for 100/80 amps. Wow, it is amazing how fast it can charge! I'd really advise it. Of course, maybe you want to stay at your mom's longer than that! Of course, you have to run 3 gauge. And since the main box stores don't have anything but 2 gauge you'd actually have to use that. Depending on the run that could be quite a cost.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
Haven't gotten a HPWC yet, but I'm wondering if the US version is capable of having 3-phase connected? I have a large 3-phase generator that might be useful for trips to the drag strip. Better for the generator if I can load all 3 phases evenly.

Haven't gotten a HPWC yet, but I'm wondering if the US version is capable of having 3-phase connected? I have a large 3-phase generator that might be useful for trips to the drag strip. Better for the generator if I can load all 3 phases evenly.
It's not just a function of the HPWC. US standard Teslas only have a charge connector and chargers that support single phase 240V. Not enough high power wires in the cable, connector and charge module ...

I have heard the wall charger can take 277 volt but that won't be all three legs of a 3-phase
It can technically handle 277v, and for awhile this was noted in the manual for it, but a few months back Tesla removed all references to 277v operation (in the US) from the manual. The reason being that the chargers in the car can handle 110-283v. When using 240v, a 283v max provides a large amount of headroom for safety before the charger signals a fault (above 283v). When you run the HPWC at 277, there's just a tiny buffer and the charger can fault-out easily if your power supply to the HPWC sucks.

Sad, because lots of industrial areas are set for 277v, and you get a nice boost in charge rate from it, especially with dual chargers.

now that summer is winding down, and AC is less used in my heavily solar neighborhood (everyone has 10-15kw systems) my grid voltage hovers in the 256v range.. which gives a decent boost to charging (if I charged in the peak period which I don't)

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver
So interesting enough - I bought a Wall Connector off of eBay - supposed to be Gen 2. When I received it and went to install, I was pretty confused - the wall connector had a NEMA 14-50 plug on it. Also the manual didn't match the old or new manuals online, and my local service center couldn't match/verify the part # on the manual.

Got a full refund via eBay, but no return necessary. So, will be buying a real wall connector direct from Tesla this time, but I still have this apparently "fake" wall connector. Looks damn good for fake, has all parts, side slot for connector, etc. Think it's safe to use? I don't especially want to be the guinea-pig.

If someone wants, it's yours if you pickup or pay shipping! LOL.

So interesting enough - I bought a Wall Connector off of eBay - supposed to be Gen 2. When I received it and went to install, I was pretty confused - the wall connector had a NEMA 14-50 plug on it. Also the manual didn't match the old or new manuals online, and my local service center couldn't match/verify the part # on the manual.

Got a full refund via eBay, but no return necessary. So, will be buying a real wall connector direct from Tesla this time, but I still have this apparently "fake" wall connector. Looks damn good for fake, has all parts, side slot for connector, etc.
Hah! What do the insides look like??