Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So some pictures. I'm a little lazy and don't want to have to repack everything if I open it all up - so, didn't open it all up. But damn me if this thing does not look legit. The part number on the connector itself looks right for a Gen 2, even ending in an E. Really makes me wonder what the heck is going on here. Wish someone was close here in Houston that knew more about this stuff.

Other than the extra cable, it looks legit from the photos. The packing material even looks right. Where did it actually ship from? Many of the wall connectors sold on eBay recently seem to ship directly from Tesla's Newark, California address.

@SK29
I couldn’t see the actual 14-50 plug in your photos. Could you get a pic of that? In particular I’m wondering if it is a molded plug like the corded mobile connector or a modified plug that has screw connections. It seems you’ve uncovered something very fishy if the former. The latter might indicate a legit wall connector that has been hand modified.

Also would you mind posting the original eBay link? There are a lot for sale advertised as new and very cheap so I’m curious if this is a more pervasive fraud.

I'm in Austin, a bit too far to pick it up and compare to mine. Would love to take it apart. I'm not scheduled to be in Houston until March.

My electrician took the book, so I cannot compare that.

Wonder if Tesla considered making a 14-50 version and then dropped the idea? Or if it is a future product.

I've attached photos of the label on the side of mine. Interesting that yours is actually rated for 40a, while mine is 80a.

Attachments

• plMggAByTT+IUmV28Ufzdw.jpg
    plMggAByTT+IUmV28Ufzdw.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 132
  • PkYzmMnRR6S7EjmoH6SGzg.jpg
    PkYzmMnRR6S7EjmoH6SGzg.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 105
The latter might indicate a legit wall connector that has been hand modified.
It's more fishy than that - it has that odd manual with the 14-50 mentioned on the cover. And the molded plug with the Tesla logo...

As to cheap Canadian sellers, I remember reading people were getting these at a discount due so to Ontario rebates, selling below retail, and making a profit.

Interesting that yours is actually rated for 40a, while mine is 80a.

Since it's a NEMA 14-50, being rated for only 40 amps makes sense.

It looks like a legit Tesla product, just never sold in the US. Maybe it is a "Canadian Special" item that Tesla was testing, especially with that custom molded bottom piece where both cables exit the unit. I think when I converted my HPWC to 14-50, the source cable ran out the side where the conduit normally would.

Surprised we've never seen/heard of it before.

I'll re-offer to take it for shipping plus any repackaging expense. I'd like to open it up and compare it to my current HPWC and see if it's really legit or fake.

It looks like a legit Tesla product, just never sold in the US. Maybe it is a "Canadian Special" item that Tesla was testing, especially with that custom molded bottom piece where both cables exit the unit. I think when I converted my HPWC to 14-50, the source cable ran out the side where the conduit normally would.

I'll re-offer to take it for shipping plus any repackaging expense. I'd like to open it up and compare it to my current HPWC and see if it's really legit or fake.
Do we need to thumb wrestle for this thing? I was planning the same. It seems pretty legit looking to me, too, if not it's one hell of a knock off.

That bottom portion of the casing with both cables exiting caught my eye too. Hard to tell by looks, but it seems well designed (but who knows on the actual engineering).

Curiouser and curiouser...

That bottom portion of the casing with both cables exiting caught my eye too. Hard to tell by looks, but it seems well designed (but who knows on the actual engineering).

Curiouser and curiouser...

The standard wall connector has an opening on the bottom for conduit. It looks like a cable was simply put in that opening and sealed up with a gasket. The 40a label on the side suggests to me that this is a Tesla product (perhaps not intended for sale, or at least not yet), but they didn't do much in the way of reengineering the wall connector.

I hope whomever SK29 decides to send it to will take it apart and post lots of photos, though. I'm really curious to see the inside.

The standard wall connector has an opening on the bottom for conduit. It looks like a cable was simply put in that opening and sealed up with a gasket.

That must be for the Gen 2 WC. Here's what my Gen 1 HPWC looks like. The question is, is this unknown unit a Gen1 or Gen2? The box just says "Wall Connector" so I'm guessing Gen2.

But that NEMA-14-50 user manual still is odd. Maybe these are those cheap Canadian units picked up with the Ontario rebate, slightly modified to add the 14-50, and a fake manual printed up. But why? And why the instant refund w/o a return?

upload_2018-1-11_15-3-31.png

That must be for the Gen 2 WC. Here's what my Gen 1 HPWC looks like. The question is, is this unknown unit a Gen1 or Gen2? The box just says "Wall Connector" so I'm guessing Gen2.

But that NEMA-14-50 user manual still is odd. Maybe these are those cheap Canadian units picked up with the Ontario rebate, slightly modified to add the 14-50, and a fake manual printed up. But why? And why the instant refund w/o a return?

View attachment 272552

Right, I was talking about the gen 2. It looks exactly like the gen 2, except for the additional cable in the bottom conduit hole. For whatever reason, I still can't open the image of the manual. I can't imagine why anyone would go to the trouble of printing up a modified manual and a modified nameplate sticker, so that makes me think this is a real Tesla product that's not intended to be public, yet. It would fill a niche, with the new mobile connector being limited to only 32 amps.

Reactions: HankLloydRight

As to cheap Canadian sellers, I remember reading people were getting these at a discount due so to Ontario rebates, selling below retail, and making a profit.

...or another thought.....
In 2016 Tesla recalled all of the NEMA 14-50 adapters in Ontario (Canada). They opted to send out a replacement (now rated at 32 amps) and ask that we return the old unit. They sent a new UMC as well. The common sentiment was that the adapters circumvented being a part of an electrical system, as they were "part of the car". After a couple of garage fires in Ontario, the ESA, or another governing body, pushed Tesla to test the adapters.....and voila......we now have 32 amp NEMA 14-50 adapters, vs the USA 40 amp, in Canada.

*Perhaps* Tesla produced the new HPWC with a permanent plug as the answer to the problem, then changed their mind and sent out the UMC and new 14-50. This might leave them with some non-standard stock items - probably in Toronto, where the issue occurred. Some enterprising individual bought them, and is selling them on ebay....

Perhaps....