Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW -- My Wall Connector is on the fritz. It is installed outdoors, is a bit more than 2 years old, and started showing the red hardware fault indication about two weeks ago, after a night of rain and snow. Since then, it has worked intermittently but always shows the red fault signal when it is disconnected from the car. I called Tesla home charging support, and they are sending an electrician to test it, supposedly this week.
Having had this experience, with the inconvenience of having to charge elsewhere about half the time over the past 2-3 weeks, I now endorse the suggestion to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet as well as the WC, if you can do so, if only to provide a backup for those occasions when the WC is out of service. Nothing last forever! In retrospect, the incremental extra cost to have both installed at once would probably have been worth it. (I did not get a quote to do both so I am making assumptions here about how much extra the outlet would have cost.)

FWIW -- My Wall Connector is on the fritz. It is installed outdoors, is a bit more than 2 years old, and started showing the red hardware fault indication about two weeks ago, after a night of rain and snow. Since then, it has worked intermittently but always shows the red fault signal when it is disconnected from the car. I called Tesla home charging support, and they are sending an electrician to test it, supposedly this week.
Having had this experience, with the inconvenience of having to charge elsewhere about half the time over the past 2-3 weeks, I now endorse the suggestion to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet as well as the WC, if you can do so, if only to provide a backup for those occasions when the WC is out of service. Nothing last forever! In retrospect, the incremental extra cost to have both installed at once would probably have been worth it. (I did not get a quote to do both so I am making assumptions here about how much extra the outlet would have cost.)

Just to follow up on my own post (even though it is slightly off-topic), two Tesla electricians came to my condo today, tested the power supply to my Wall Connector, and replaced my Wall Connector with a new one. Interestingly enough, they said that they are installing many WCs these days for all the new cars being delivered, and that they had never before had to replace one as they did today. So that sounds like good news (although I do not know how representative their experience is). In any case, I am very glad to have my home charging back in service!

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911 and kash
Hello, anyone living in South Florida, Fort Lauderdale area recommend an electrician to install wall connector? The Tesla recommended one wants to charge 1200 with pulling permit included... I know there's others that will charge way less... Anyone have any recommendations?

Just to follow up on my own post (even though it is slightly off-topic), two Tesla electricians came to my condo today, tested the power supply to my Wall Connector, and replaced my Wall Connector with a new one. Interestingly enough, they said that they are installing many WCs these days for all the new cars being delivered, and that they had never before had to replace one as they did today. So that sounds like good news (although I do not know how representative their experience is). In any case, I am very glad to have my home charging back in service!

Have to agree with David, having an alternate backup NEMA 14-50 would be highly recommended. I had my hpw replaced 3 times wish i had one put in. Luckily i lived near a supercharger and i put one in my new house.

Reactions: David29
Hello, anyone living in South Florida, Fort Lauderdale area recommend an electrician to install wall connector? The Tesla recommended one wants to charge 1200 with pulling permit included... I know there's others that will charge way less... Anyone have any recommendations?
I live

Rack Electric installed a 50A outlet for us and did a great job. I had gotten 3 estimates and they were also slight lower in price.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 155
Does anyone know if my current electric box will accommodate the breakers for a wall connector and/or 240v outlet for my garage? I have two open spots but not in a row. Will the install be more complicated? Thanks!

Attachments

• E3CF4A06-2141-4952-84BF-2A9CD424CDA2.jpeg
    E3CF4A06-2141-4952-84BF-2A9CD424CDA2.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 144
Does anyone know if my current electric box will accommodate the breakers for a wall connector and/or 240v outlet for my garage? I have two open spots but not in a row. Will the install be more complicated? Thanks!

You could consolidate two of the other breakers with a tandem breaker. Then you would have room for the 240V double-pole breaker that is required.

Additionally, to be be totally proper, you would need to do a load calculation. And a full breaker box like that doesn't bode well. (That basically determines that your service rating is large enough every likely usage case.) It's typically a requirement for a permit.

Reactions: rplace1021
In a similar situation I converted the range and dryer to natural gas. Voilá, no load calculation needed. YMMV :)
I second this although it's not an option for everyone.... I only had 125 amps total available, and swapped out the stove and dryer for natural gas. Freed up lots of power to devote to 240v charging, as well as a few new 20amp 120v circuits in the garage.

It looks like it’s faster than the UMC plugged in but slower than the hard wired wall charger right?

Yes, the current UMC can only do 32A, while the hard-wired wall connector can do 80A (but it’s limited by the circuit it’s installed on and the car’s capability).

But the old UMC can do 40A, as can the current corded UMC, which is the same as this new plug in wall connector.

• Informative
Reactions: rplace1021
Updated my folks house since I had a spare charger! Need to Re pipe the meter connection
2 chargers with master salve config on (1) 100 amp circuit

Attachments

• 7A45D57C-A418-4725-8941-D881ABE2CC2E.jpeg
    7A45D57C-A418-4725-8941-D881ABE2CC2E.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 104
  • E61D62DA-080B-4F49-B196-7D69F1AA9924.jpeg
    E61D62DA-080B-4F49-B196-7D69F1AA9924.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 103
  • D232F8D8-CBC4-41E9-98AC-FF2C072277B9.jpeg
    D232F8D8-CBC4-41E9-98AC-FF2C072277B9.jpeg
    388 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: BridgeMojo
Updated my folks house since I had a spare charger! Need to Re pipe the meter connection
2 chargers with master salve config on (1) 100 amp circuit

Nice! Why the disconnect? Was that a jurisdiction requirement?

My understanding is that for circuits over 60a you have to have a locking disconnect, but it can just be a clip on the breaker in the circuit breaker panel typically.

Nice! Why the disconnect? Was that a jurisdiction requirement?

My understanding is that for circuits over 60a you have to have a locking disconnect, but it can just be a clip on the breaker in the circuit breaker panel typically.

National Electrical Code:

"If the charger is 60A or larger or more than 150V (to ground), you must install a disconnect in a readily accessible location. It must be capable of being locked in the open position [625.23]."

Reactions: Blu Zap