Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't recall if @MorrisonHiker has 3 or 4 HPWC in their garage... I think it is only three, but they really should add a fourth outside for guests to charge at. :)
Thanks for the suggestion, btw. We've let others use the ones in the garage when hosting Tesla events but it would be nice to offer a solar powered wall connector outside as well, just in case!

• Love
Reactions: MP3Mike
The max onboard charge rate of any currently sold Tesla is 48 amps, so that is where the 11.5kw is coming from I think. All the Wall Connectors (except for the corded one) are capable of 80a charge rates as far as I know.

I was curious about this and looked at the Tesla web site. To my dismay and disappointment, their so-called "Specs" page does not even indicate the capacity of the on-board charger! One detail that they do not have to edit if and when Tesla makes one of their frequent changes in configurations, I suppose....but it would sure be nice if a prospective buyer could see what the spec is for this feature!

Reactions: eprosenx
I was curious about this and looked at the Tesla web site. To my dismay and disappointment, their so-called "Specs" page does not even indicate the capacity of the on-board charger! One detail that they do not have to edit if and when Tesla makes one of their frequent changes in configurations, I suppose....but it would sure be nice if a prospective buyer could see what the spec is for this feature!

They are simplifying the product. Taking away a technical decision point that consumers will stress over. Making the focus be on other things...

I can’t say I blame Tesla, but I am a tech guy and always want the hard core specs on everything.

Frankly, reducing the speed of the onboard charger makes you more dependent on their supercharger network which is brilliant from a long term revenue standpoint (don’t believe for one second that is not part of the investment thesis of institutional investors that own stock regardless of what Elon might say). But from the technical side, you don’t really need more than a 48a charger onboard generally, and keeping it small reduces weight and cost, so hard to argue about.

don’t believe for one second that is not part of the investment thesis of institutional investors that own stock regardless of what Elon might say

While that’s one possible theory, I suspect it’s more likely that Tesla is worried about folks in older buildings with sub-par wiring burning down their home or condo. We’ve all heard stories about defective circuit breakers, cheap outlets and bad extension cords. This seems like a Tesla’s way of preventing some worst-case charging scenarios.

Reactions: CSFTN
I’d like to see a residential installation with 4 daisy chained HPWC lol. IMO some homes will install at most two with the vast majority installing one and a 14-50 outlet for the less used car.

Dropping the car down limits it’s ability to fully utilize some destination chargers. Tesla was all about their destination charging network of hotels, inns, and such. Do they really save that much in production cost not offering the 17.5kW onboard?

I’ve got 2 HPWC currently, and put a box in place so I can add 2 more down the road. I’ve got an additional two NEMA14-50 available in the garage for when I have friends needs to juice up.

Reactions: Blu Zap

Thank you for this.

Do you think I can just cut the ring off and leave the part thats on the copper strands to keep them tight? It just keeps them from straying and wandering over to another connection.

Here is the pic.
20191031_200555.jpg

Thank you for this.

Do you think I can just cut the ring off and leave the part thats on the copper strands to keep them tight? It just keeps them from straying and wandering over to another connection.
I would. The installation manual recommends using ferrules on the wires; the crimped portion of the terminal would serve the same purpose. Make sure to add some sort of strain relief or a cable gland on the pigtail. Note that using a standard length (ie, ~4 ft) range cord won't result in an NEC compliant installation; NEC 625 requires that the pigtail on an EVSE be no longer than 1 ft.

Make sure to add some sort of strain relief or a cable gland on the pigtail. Note that using a standard length (ie, ~4 ft) range cord won't result in an NEC compliant installation; NEC 625 requires that the pigtail on an EVSE be no longer than 1 ft.

Not sure what you mean by strain relief or cable gland? Do you have a pic to illustrate? Also, what's the downside of using a 4ft pigtail?

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean strain relief or cable gland? Do you have a pic to illustrate? Also, what's the downside of using a 4ft pigtail?
You need something to anchor the pigtail to the housing, so that if it gets yanked on, the force is transferred from the cable to the case, not to the individual wires and connectors. The clamp connector shown in the instructables link would work fine. A cable gland does the same thing, but is (usually) also waterproof, with a rubber seal that is squeezed around the cable as the nut it tightened. See - Cable gland - Wikipedia

Re 1 ft vs 4 ft, the only really issue I can see with a longer cable is a greater risk of it being yanked, tripped over, etc. The National Electric Code limits it to 1 foot, likely for this reason. But there are tons of wall connectors with 4 ft Home Depot range cords attached. I have an OpenEVSE with one connected to it. See @FlasherZ's FAQ here (search for "can I attach a cord") -
FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure Q&A

You need something to anchor the pigtail to the housing, so that if it gets yanked on, the force is transferred from the cable to the case, not to the individual wires and connectors. The clamp connector shown in the instructables link would work fine. A cable gland does the same thing, but is (usually) also waterproof, with a rubber seal that is squeezed around the cable as the nut it tightened. See - Cable gland - Wikipedia

Re 1 ft vs 4 ft, the only really issue I can see with a longer cable is a greater risk of it being yanked, tripped over, etc. The National Electric Code limits it to 1 foot, likely for this reason. But there are tons of wall connectors with 4 ft Home Depot range cords attached. I have an OpenEVSE with one connected to it. See @FlasherZ's FAQ here (search for "can I attach a cord") -
FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure Q&A

Ah yes. I have this.
20191031_222316.jpg

As for the cable, it won't be hitting the floor at all.

I would. The installation manual recommends using ferrules on the wires; the crimped portion of the terminal would serve the same purpose. Make sure to add some sort of strain relief or a cable gland on the pigtail. Note that using a standard length (ie, ~4 ft) range cord won't result in an NEC compliant installation; NEC 625 requires that the pigtail on an EVSE be no longer than 1 ft.

Do you think after add the pigtail that it would be safe installing it outside? I have a nema plug outside my garage in a enclosed box with a door to protect it from the weather.

As long as the outlet is in a weatherproof box and the box can close properly over the plug, I don't see why not.
and all the unused holes in the wall connector are plugged/sealed, the cable gland seals tightly to the pigtail, and there is a drip loop in the pigtail - the cable should drop down from the outlet, then rise up to the wall connector. The low point of the loop needs to be below the outlet and wall connector, so water doesn't run down the cable into either of them.