Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
National Electrical Code:

"If the charger is 60A or larger or more than 150V (to ground), you must install a disconnect in a readily accessible location. It must be capable of being locked in the open position [625.23]."

Correct. But readily accessible does not have to be within eyesight and it does not have a specific distance requirement either.

So lock off clips in the breaker panel should count.

Some would interpret 625.23 as "within sight" or if not, "must be capable of being locked in open position"

So I agree that a lockable breaker panel should count too.

I totally think a provision for either being in line of sight from the EVSE *OR* having the "lock off" ability makes sense logically, though I don't see any provision in the code to substantiate that. (the PGE doc does say that, but it is not the code) . It is also possible that California has their own rules or that the AHJ in a given area interprets the NEC that way (I have heard of this being the case).

There is no longer a 625.23 in the current 2017 code, but 625.43 covers it instead. It looks like this was covered by 625.42 in the 2014 code, and 625.23 in the 2011 code.

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 12.29.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 12.36.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 12.33.58 AM.png

My personal feeling is that needing an ugly and expensive disconnect right next to the EVSE is dumb. I don't see these things failing often and causing an imminent danger. They have all sorts of safety features in them. It is not like a HVAC unit which needs mechanical service done all the time and so if they did not put a disconnect there, techs would likely leave the unit on while working on it (which is obviously dangerous). The EVSE's like the Wall Connector don't really have any serviceable parts though... So a disconnect does not do much.

I do think the logic of having the ability to "lock it off" in some way (even if out of visual sight) does make some amount of sense for the over 60a circuits and it is cheap to implement.

• Informative
Reactions: kash and Tam
Nice! Why the disconnect? Was that a jurisdiction requirement?

My understanding is that for circuits over 60a you have to have a locking disconnect, but it can just be a clip on the breaker in the circuit breaker panel typically.
Code required, I had a smaller disconnect it wasn’t large enough to hold the splices, this one has plenty of room!

And the disconnect is $250, and it’s peace of mind if I want to work on stuff in there I can just cut the feed instead of going to the breaker panel

Hi Folks, I'm a bit confused. I just bought a 2016 Model S P90D and installed a HPWC. There seems to be an amperage limit at which my car will charge. I have the HPWC installed on a 100amp circuit with the rotary selection switch set to the 80amp selection. No matter what I try I only get a 40 amp charge. I have 200 amp service to the sub panel in my garage. What am I missing?

Somewhere I did read that non-Supercharging charging is limited to 40amps. That certainly aligns to what I'm seeing.

Thanks,

Pat Arnold

Hi Folks, I'm a bit confused. I just bought a 2016 Model S P90D and installed a HPWC. There seems to be an amperage limit at which my car will charge. I have the HPWC installed on a 100amp circuit with the rotary selection switch set to the 80amp selection. No matter what I try I only get a 40 amp charge. I have 200 amp service to the sub panel in my garage. What am I missing?

Somewhere I did read that non-Supercharging charging is limited to 40amps. That certainly aligns to what I'm seeing.

Thanks,

Pat Arnold
Your car will have a 40a limit (or 80 if dual, sounds like 40).

Thanks,

Pat Arnold
Do you have dual chargers? I opted for single charger (40 amp), which comes standard with earlier Model S. The second charger is an option.

• Informative
Reactions: eprosenx

Thanks,

Pat Arnold
For a hot minute Tesla offered single chargers in the P90D era, before reverting back to standard dual chargers, then 72amp chargers with the refresh. If your car maxes out at 40amps, I'm guessing you have a nosecone era P90D with a single charger.

They used to offer an upgrade to dual chargers (for 80amp charging) for about $2k. They removed it from the shop last fall though. It might be avail off menu, but you'll have to beg beg beg for it. I have a feeling it's gone now.

Having had 80amp chargers in my old P85+, it was super nice, but rarely needed.

For a hot minute Tesla offered single chargers in the P90D era, before reverting back to standard dual chargers, then 72amp chargers with the refresh. If your car maxes out at 40amps, I'm guessing you have a nosecone era P90D with a single charger.

They used to offer an upgrade to dual chargers (for 80amp charging) for about $2k. They removed it from the shop last fall though. It might be avail off menu, but you'll have to beg beg beg for it. I have a feeling it's gone now.

Yeah, 40 amps is actually fine. Charges overnight w/ no problem. Appreciate the add'l informtion.

Yeah, 40 amps is actually fine. Charges overnight w/ no problem. Appreciate the add'l informtion.
Honestly the only time I appreciated having 80 amp (and now 72amp) charging is when I go to the rare place that has those full strength HPWC and I get twice the free juice. Thankfully I've never been anywhere where I really NEEDED a charge fast to get somewhere.

Reactions: neroden
I'm looking to install the HPWC and my house has a 200A box. To install, the electrician will need to consolidate some of the breaker. I'm planning on an 80A circuit to charge at 64A (my car has a 72A charger). My question is this, is this disconnect a safety issue? ie, the electrician never mentioned a disconnect switch so I'm wondering if it's necessary? or does a lock it off switch at the breaker box suffice??

I'm looking to install the HPWC and my house has a 200A box. To install, the electrician will need to consolidate some of the breaker. I'm planning on an 80A circuit to charge at 64A (my car has a 72A charger). My question is this, is this disconnect a safety issue? ie, the electrician never mentioned a disconnect switch so I'm wondering if it's necessary? or does a lock it off switch at the breaker box suffice??
It's not a day-to-day safety issue for someone using the wall connector. It's purpose is so that someone who is working inside the EVSE can be sure that the power is really off and that someone else is unlikely to come along and turn it on unexpectedly. So, the disconnect is either supposed to be in "sight" or be able to be locked in the off position. In some places, it is sufficient to install a locking mechanism on the circuit breaker. It depends on the local regs and the inspector.

I can tell you that having plugs on my two wall mounted EVSEs is a comfort when I need to look inside them, which I do about one a year to be sure there's no melting or discoloration on the terminations. Knowing that they are unplugged and cannot have any power incoming is nice. I would REALLY want that on a bigger circuit.

If I were putting in an 80-100a circuit I would go ahead and put a small subpanel or load center in the garage to serve as both the disconnect and a place to wire a second wall connector in a load sharing setup. However, if you truly don't foresee any circumstance where you would want to charge two EVs, then keeping it simpler is fine.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: linkster

My reading and understanding of the code (2017 NEC) is that you only need to be able to lock the circuit "off" if it is over 60 amps in a residential 120/240 split phase install (which yours is I am sure). So yes, you would fall under this, but all it says is that you have to be able to lock it in the off position, and that it must be readily accessible. Readily accessible does not have to be within a certain distance nor within sight. Generally a locking clip installed in the circuit breaker is considered sufficient (you will see this these days for dishwashers so a tech can lock it off with a lock they bring with them while they are working on it).

I posted three different versions of the code here:

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

Now, two important things:

Your state may adopt different versions of the code or they may have modified that code. So YMMV.

And more significantly perhaps, different Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ's) interpret things differently. Some might want a disconnect in line of sight or within a certain distance (even though that is not what is written in the code). Others might be more lax and be fine not having a locking disconnect as long as it is within a few feet or within sight (i.e. they are more relaxed in some conditions than what is written).

<shrug>

Personally, the reality is that nearly nobody ever opens or messes with EVSE's (present company excepted @davewill :)) once they are installed unless they die, and the reality is that they are likely not field serviceable, so they will just be replaced rather than repaired on site like an AC unit or dishwasher might be. So I am totally fine with simply having the breaker lock off requirement. Anything more than that seems like overkill. Having a local disconnect makes sense for regularly serviced things like AC units, etc... EVSE's have a single moving part in them (the contactor/relay).

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
It might be avail off menu, but you'll have to beg beg beg for it. I have a feeling it's gone now.

YESSIR! I would go so far as to doctor (service center) shop around to have duals installed. I would luff to have an upgradable 48 -> 72a or an add-on (duals) charger option for my LR RWD M3. Besides the rare use/convience of gulping down or providing 72 or 80a to visitors, it can often also help reduce supercharger clogging as they now depart with a “fuller” ;) tank before continuing on their electric journey.

YESSIR! I would go so far as to doctor (service center) shop around to have duals installed. I would luff to have an upgradable 48 -> 72a or an add-on (duals) charger option for my LR RWD M3. Besides the rare use/convience of gulping down or providing 72 or 80a to visitors, it can often also help reduce supercharger clogging as they now depart with a “fuller” ;) tank before continuing on their electric journey.

Superchargers bypass the on board charger as the Supercharger is already DC power. Therefore, the dual chargers do not affect the charge rate when Supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I haven't gone through this entire thread, so forgive me if there's something I've missed.

My HPWC cord has failed for the second time......, I had it replaced once under warranty, and now again at the cost of $230 out of pocket.

I realize this is a fairly old posting, but...anyone know the part number for that replacement cord (Gen I if it matters) and how much it costs these days?