Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a successful Gen2 n 14-50R clean install. Really loving the 72A charging :)
Not an electrician but i know enough n i think i managed to meet the codes 😅

1666804363791.png

1666804399121.png

1666804439486.png

1666804473928.png

• Love
Reactions: brainhouston
Good job.

What wire gauge sizes did you choose to run for HPWC and 14-50R?

How about the breaker amperages?
HPWC: 100 amp, THHN, 3 awg L1/L2, 6 awg ground, Liquid Tight Conduit (this was the hardest thing to source by foot, found one local store that had it, Grover)
14-50R: 50 amp, Romex 6/3
Big thank u to this tread n forum where i got all the info!

1666809453305.png

Thanks. Also, what brands of breakers and the 14-50R you ended up using?
Breakers are Square D (hint: D inside square logo :) ), got from Amazon, was much cheaper than local stores
14-50R is Leviton (from Home Depot), i know its not the best as i've read some melting stories on here but i'm only gonna use it for back up to my WC so hopefully never haha.

Be careful: there are counterfeit Square D breakers out there. Several large busts over the past few years.
wow ppl just counterfeit anything these days... :(
any way to tell?
so far so good but i lowered my charger rate for everyday use n just bump it up if im in a rush

Funny story, today my kitchen breaker popped n won't reset, pretty sure its dead n it was the original that came with the house...

any way to tell?
so far so good but i lowered my charger rate for everyday use n just bump it up if im in a rush

Funny story, today my kitchen breaker popped n won't reset, pretty sure its dead n it was the original that came with the house...

Yeah, breakers do degrade over time - especially GFCI breakers.

any way to tell?

Be ware of eBay and vendors on Amazon which are not Amazon. Any time you find an unusually good price is time to be suspicious.

A bogus breaker would be dangerous for not tripping at the rated current. Lowering your charging current isn’t making you safer from a defective breaker.

What is maximum amps a MS 2022 can charge on HP Tesla wall charger? Only allowing 32 amps. Previous 2017 MS was able to charge at 48 amps on same charger. My MXP is pulling 72 amps with no cable heating/errors, etc. If I set charging higher than 32 amps error comes up on screen until I back down to 32 amps.

What is maximum amps a MS 2022 can charge on HP Tesla wall charger? Only allowing 32 amps. Previous 2017 MS was able to charge at 48 amps on same charger. My MXP is pulling 72 amps with no cable heating/errors, etc. If I set charging higher than 32 amps error comes up on screen until I back down to 32 amps.
What is the error? (But it sounds like one of the 16 amp modules in the PCS has failed.)

Reactions: Freshtry