Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So has anyone compared price on installing this versus installing a NEMA 14-50?

I have an order and interested in comparing and also use experience.

I have an S60 on order.

Varies widely depending on existing circuitry. I paid a master electrician $400 to install HPWC and 2 14-50. More of an under the table type deal tho as a side job. I bought all the parts and he showed up and installed it with me. I had to run a new subpanel to the garage. I would say materials were $500 for everything needed in my project but it varies with distance you need wire run.

I have an S60 on order.

A 14-50 will always be a less expensive install than an HPWC for a couple of reasons:

1. To get the full benefit of the HPWC a 100 amp circuit is needed vs. 50 amp for the 14-50.

2. A 14-50 receptical is under $30, so even if you change the amps that the HPWC will use, it's still going to be cheaper.

On the other hand the HPWC:

1. Has a longer cable.

2. Eliminates one connection point.

3. Has a heavier duty cable.

4. Charges faster if the car and wiring allow. (This is mainly an advantage when the low rate TOU time is limited.)

5. Outdoor rated.

Consider Installing both HPWC and NEMA 14-50. I ran a 60 amp circuit through my garage to a HPWC mounted outside of the garage and along the way I added a NEMA 14-50 inside of the garage.

Most of the time we park the car outdoors and the HPWC cable length is perfect and very robust. When the car is parked indoors I connect it to the the 14-50 receptacle for convenience. The outdoor HPWC is also available to Tesla drivers in need of a charge while we are away and a coffee shop is nearby where they can wait.

We have dual chargers in our car but this choice was intended for touring. There is no problem recharging our car at home at 40 amps while we sleep.

Having both HPWC and 14-50 on the same line provides some useful options.

Reactions: jerry33

I have an S60 on order.
There's a big difference. If your wife charges the car, you might prefer HPWC over 14-50. With the outlet, you have to plug the cable or you keep the cable (it is called UMC) attached to the outlet all the time, but the cable would touch the ground unless you carefully place a holder for UMC and a cable hook. The cable gets dirty pretty quickly and your wife would complain when her dress gets some dirt from the cable.

On the other hand HPWC is fixed to the wall and the cable is nicely hang at the cable hook. You just pull out only the necessary length of the cable and plug your car, so it doesn't touch the ground.

There's a big difference. If your wife charges the car, you might prefer HPWC over 14-50. With the outlet, you have to plug the cable or you keep the cable (it is called UMC) attached to the outlet all the time, but the cable would touch the ground unless you carefully place a holder for UMC and a cable hook. The cable gets dirty pretty quickly and your wife would complain when her dress gets some dirt from the cable.

On the other hand HPWC is fixed to the wall and the cable is nicely hang at the cable hook. You just pull out only the necessary length of the cable and plug your car, so it doesn't touch the ground.

The cable hook is available as an accessory ... problem solved :cool: Tesla — Cable Organizer

Yes, but with 14-50 and UMC, you still have to deal with the UMC itself and cable from the outlet to UMC.

I've used both and there is little difference except on trips where you are plugging it in every time you use it. At home you keep the UMC plugged in, the GFI box is in a bracket and the cable is on a cable holder. The cable hook is kind of iffy for holding either the UMC or HPWC so it's best just to hang the cable so the the car end doesn't fall to the floor. When either the HPWC or UMC are plugged into the car, some section of the cable is on the ground (if it's not then you are putting extra tension on the charge port and cable), so there's no difference in that regard.

Reactions: hiroshiy
If anyone has the Tesla Cable Organizer, would you please answer these questions for me - Tesla — Cable Organizer

1. How well does the charger head stay in the hole of the cable organizer, and what holds it in place? I am concerned that the charger head may fall out if bumped, or if it is stuck in there so tight that it is hard to remove it to charge my car.

2. When the charge head is inserted into the cable organizer, how far does it stand off from the wall? The charge head sticks out at an angle so I would guess that the max distance from the wall would be at the bottom of the charge head. I want to be sure there is enough room to walk by where I plan to use it.

3. How do you like it compared to just using a hook to hang the cable?

The big advantage with the HPWC (other than faster charging) is that there's just one plug connection (handle to car) rather than three with the UMC (handle to car, UMC to adaptor, adaptor to wall outlet). Every plug connection is a potential place for wear and tear and poor connections, possibly generating heat. And if you have a HPWC, you leave the UMC in the car so you've always got it if you need it.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
That's my mode of operation... the HPWC is used every night and the cables and adapters that came with the car stay in the car. You never know when charging may be required on the road so having the cable and adapters always with you is good planning.

The holder for the HPWC cable end has a small spring hook but the cable is heavy and can have twists so the hook does not always hold. My cable end has dropped many many times and it's scratched but it is still functional. The HPWC is very robust and using it every night means that it is going to look rough. That's OK with me as it is being used as intended.

That's my mode of operation... the HPWC is used every night and the cables and adapters that came with the car stay in the car. You never know when charging may be required on the road so having the cable and adapters always with you is good planning.

The holder for the HPWC cable end has a small spring hook but the cable is heavy and can have twists so the hook does not always hold. My cable end has dropped many many times and it's scratched but it is still functional. The HPWC is very robust and using it every night means that it is going to look rough. That's OK with me as it is being used as intended.

Thanks, that helps. I don't want to buy the Tesla Cable Organizer if the charge head falls out of it easily.

I've used both and there is little difference except on trips where you are plugging it in every time you use it. At home you keep the UMC plugged in, the GFI box is in a bracket and the cable is on a cable holder. The cable hook is kind of iffy for holding either the UMC or HPWC so it's best just to hang the cable so the the car end doesn't fall to the floor. When either the HPWC or UMC are plugged into the car, some section of the cable is on the ground (if it's not then you are putting extra tension on the charge port and cable), so there's no difference in that regard.
@jerry33, yes, if you have a bracket to hold the UMC unit itself and can manage two cables - outlet to UMC and UMC to the car - beautifully, without letting them touch the ground, that would be fine. With HPWC the cable management is much easier.

I agree that Tesla's cable hook is not a good design. I saw the connector dropped to the ground many times at multiple Tesla destination charging spots.

I'm jealous of everyone getting there's so quickly. I ordered mine 6/12 and still nothing. Even did the overnight shipping option.

What size wire is everyone running into the HPWC for an 80A load? #4?

Also, I have some 90 degree copper #6 that is rated to 75A. That should be fine as long as I leave dip switches at 72A, which is the most my new car could handle anyway...
No, you're looking at intermittent current ratings. The NEC classifies car charging as a continuous load (regardless of the length of charge time) thus, requiring the circuit to be sized at 125% of the charge rate (or reducing the charge rate to 80% of the circuit's rating).

#4 75° copper is only good for 85*80%=68A charge rate. #6 90° copper is good for 75A*80%=60A charge rate.

The installation manual calls for #2 copper for an 80A charge rate - https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...ll_Connector_Installation_Manual_EN_JP_ES.pdf

I got our P85D and HPWC last December. Just built a new house and told the electrician to put a dedicated 100A breaker, and #2 copper to feed the beast.

Its been working flawlessly, although at 80A (actually 79A as noted on this forum) the cord will get pretty warm.

Since my car has dual chargers, and can charge reliably at 80A, Should I throttle down the charge rate when I don't need a quick charge? Most of the time, I just plug it in at night, and run it to the top of the "daily" range. Even from a low SOC, there's plenty of time overnight to get the charge I need, even when throttled back to 40 or 60A.

In other words, when time is not critical, is there a preferred charge rate for longevity of the battery and charging components?

@Boeing777 Unless you are being billed for Demand (KW) by your electric utility, then the charging rate is simply about the time to charge. Most all Residential electric rates are only KWh and don't have a KW component.

As far as current goes, all of your equipment is rated for the current that is being drawn. The heat is normal (I^2 * R). All those little electrons just get really excited when they can run that fast.

As far as damage or longevity of the battery, I have attached an image of my Model S at a Supercharger. The car is being charged with 318 Amps of current. Your 80A is not a problem for the car.
2016-03-24 20.26.26.jpg

Last edited:
In other words, when time is not critical, is there a preferred charge rate for longevity of the battery and charging components
There's no amount of AC charging that can do anything to the battery. The actual chargers may last slightly longer with a reduced charge. But the main reason for reducing the charge is to be kind to your utility company, the local transformer, and perhaps your neighbours should the local transformer melt from the added load (transformers are sized for the average load rather than the maximum possible load, and most were sized before Tesla started shipping cars).

No, you're looking at intermittent current ratings. The NEC classifies car charging as a continuous load (regardless of the length of charge time) thus, requiring the circuit to be sized at 125% of the charge rate (or reducing the charge rate to 80% of the circuit's rating).

#4 75° copper is only good for 85*80%=68A charge rate. #6 90° copper is good for 75A*80%=60A charge rate.

The installation manual calls for #2 copper for an 80A charge rate - https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...ll_Connector_Installation_Manual_EN_JP_ES.pdf

Yea I never posted an update, but after getting the HPWC in and reading the manual, I decided on the 2 #2 Hots and the ground is #6 so I'll be good to give out the full 80A if ever needed. (even tho my car will only be able to do 72A if i unlock that feature)