Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you
So kind of you to reply in such detail
Well
I had one electrician come by and he quoted me 790$ including permit and breaker 50amps to get the 240 outlet just a few feet away from my breaker in the garage!

Is this reasonable ?!
He was adamant anything less will be heap and not good work, and he's a certified electrician and said Tesla will quote me 1200$
For comparison, my uncle just installed a NEMA 14-50 (to make it easier for us to visit him) for the same price but it was a difficult installation. They had to run the cable across one entire wall of the basement, then through a stone foundation (not concrete - it was hard to drill) then in conduit under a porch (crawl space), then up through the porch wall which included some finish work similar to drywall. It included pulling permit. I thought he got a good deal for less than $800!

The comments about how prices vary widely are right and I don't know what's involved in your "short distance". Regardless, $790 sounds high.

Reactions: David29 and soooma
Many credit cards will extend the warranty on a purchase for another year. Just buy it with the right card and you'll be covered for two years instead of one.

I just got off the phone with my credit card wanting to do the exact same thing and was denied. My 15 month old HPWC fuse just died and a ranger is coming tomorrow. It was denied the extended warranty by the card because of this exclusion:

Boats, automobiles, or other motorized vehicles and their motors, equipment and accessories.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I just got off the phone with my credit card wanting to do the exact same thing and was denied. My 15 month old HPWC fuse just died and a ranger is coming tomorrow. It was denied the extended warranty by the card because of this exclusion:

Boats, automobiles, or other motorized vehicles and their motors, equipment and accessories.
Sorry to hear about the exclusion. I'd better check the fine print on mine.

Here is some pictures of my install. I decided to use 50 amp breaker since I had to run about 75 feet from my panel in the basement to the garage. I used 6/2 cable and also used a 50 amp disconnect breaker next to the charger. Please tell me if you have any suggestions. I used a lot of tips from the site with some electrical skill.
charger 1.jpg
charger 2.jpg
charge 3.jpg
charge 4.jpg
charge 5.jpg
charge 6.jpg
charge 7.jpg
charger 1.jpg
charger 2.jpg
charge 3.jpg
charge 4.jpg
charge 5.jpg