Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S HVAC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S

smoothoperator

By the way, I think the seat heaters are something out of this world. I don't think this amount of heat is possible in a gas-burning car (those cars can pump waste heat through the vents, but the car seat heaters run off the little 12V lead acid battery). With many kW of electrical power at the Tesla's disposal, they can really pump the heat.'

sounds good to me!

I do not think this is true, doesn't the HVAC and seat heaters still run off a separate accessory 12v battery (that is "charged" by the big battery) ? Or does everything now run off the "big" battery now?

Not all seat heaters are equal! VW Jetta I had were decently hot - Toyota Rav4 heaters SUCK! (cylcle on and off + no level setting) - Lexus ls430 decently hot

Absolutely! The ones in my TT Roadster have 6 different settings for some reason and the setting 6 might as well be called "sear." I never have it set higher than 4, and that's with the top down on a cold night.

Absolutely! The ones in my TT Roadster have 6 different settings for some reason and the setting 6 might as well be called "sear." I never have it set higher than 4, and that's with the top down on a cold night.

It also has to do with passenger sensitivity, too. In my Chevy Suburban, I can barely stand "1" on the scale of 1-3 but my wife complains that "3" isn't hot enough.

By the way, I think the seat heaters are something out of this world. I don't think this amount of heat is possible in a gas-burning car (those cars can pump waste heat through the vents, but the car seat heaters run off the little 12V lead acid battery). With many kW of electrical power at the Tesla's disposal, they can really pump the heat.'

If that's true, my wife will be so happy. She bought a Dodge Caliber (before I was on the scene :) ) based purely on the heated seats and rear-window wiper.

Last edited:
His comment from a blog post below that last link:

Jurvetson: A future UI feature I'df like to see is a "Make it Hot" button. This is for some ladies I know who insist on overriding every automatic AC feature until they get warm. So the button would pump max heat and seat heaters until it was unset, and then all would resort to auto. This would save a ton of button presses for our family use case. =)
My wife would love this. She sometimes uses the car's heater to dry her hair on the way to work so a button that max fan on vent and max heat would be nice. She didn't like my Corvette as it took several button presses to do that - her current Jeep is all manual so it's just 2 knob turns.