Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S HW 2.0 to HW 3.0 Upgrades? (Not HW2.5 or Model 3 upgrades to HW3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can tell you when tesla had the EAP upgrade to FSD firesale awhile back Tesla said I would have to pay 3K instead of 2K. They said the reason being the car has MCU1 and AP2 and required more HW upgrades compared to the MCU2 AP2.5 cars. I bet us MCU1 cars will get an upgrade soon ;)

If they cannot get HW 3.0 to work with MCU 1 it will be interesting to see the path they take in order to upgrade. I really hope they don’t drag their feet on getting a solution.

Also wonder if the price paid for FSD will change the order we get FSD or upgrade to MCU.

Here are the three possible upgrade programs going on now to get the new FSD Computer (assuming you have the FSD Software already pre-purchased).
  1. MCU/1 and AP 2.0 - It appears that FSD Computer is not compatible with MCU/ and maybe additional radar/camera hardware may be required. We are waiting for Tesla to make it work or offer the MCU/2 Retrofit to owners (cost unknown for retrofit) along with the associated hardware that may be needed.
  2. MCU/1 and AP 2.5 - It appears that FSD Computer is not compatible with MCU/1, so we are waiting for Tesla to make it work or offer the MCU/2 Retrofit to owners (cost unknown for retrofit).
  3. MCU/2 and AP 2.5 - Upgrade going on currently. Owners can setup appointment through app, or make appointment with service center directly.

As an aside, I asked about getting the HW 3.0 update (from 2.5) at the service center; they told me that the upgrade can’t be done until it’s “VIN matched”; I have an appointment for a host of problems tomorrow - will have to see what they say (i.e. whether or not my car is VIN matched yet for 3.0 ugrade)

I tried to schedule an appointment to upgrade to AP3 & MCU2 and this is what I got back...

Attachments

• 9219C07A-DC92-4D24-A342-8403349392D8.png
    9219C07A-DC92-4D24-A342-8403349392D8.png
    356 KB · Views: 222
Here are the three possible upgrade programs going on now to get the new FSD Computer (assuming you have the FSD Software already pre-purchased).
  1. MCU/1 and AP 2.0 - It appears that FSD Computer is not compatible with MCU/ and maybe additional radar/camera hardware may be required. We are waiting for Tesla to make it work or offer the MCU/2 Retrofit to owners (cost unknown for retrofit) along with the associated hardware that may be needed.
  2. MCU/1 and AP 2.5 - It appears that FSD Computer is not compatible with MCU/1, so we are waiting for Tesla to make it work or offer the MCU/2 Retrofit to owners (cost unknown for retrofit).
  3. MCU/2 and AP 2.5 - Upgrade going on currently. Owners can setup appointment through app, or make appointment with service center directly.
I will take an offer from Tesla to "retrofit" my 2017 Model S with brand new long range Model S :p

And the longer Tesla waits, the more cars will be lost to collisions, and the cost of the hardware will most likely drop... The best strategy for Tesla is to wait as long as possible to do HW2/MCU1->HW3/MCU2 upgrades.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman and viper2ko

If FSD has been pre-paid and it requires an MCU2 retrofit the good news is the unknown cost is only important to Tesla as we / owners won't be footing that bill.

I brought my car into the Dallas Service center on Nov 14th for service unrelated to HW3. When I was meeting with the service consultant he said I was getting the HW3. This was an unexpected surprise. Its now Nov 19th and my car is sill at service center

#1 and 2 “cost unknown” is made up BS. Some guy on Twitter named Musk has promised FSD to anyone who bought it. Any additional charges are theoretical BS the product of message board posters with too much free time.

Reactions: dzmconstr