Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S HW 2.0 to HW 3.0 Upgrades? (Not HW2.5 or Model 3 upgrades to HW3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve done that twice and told to wait until mid December to mid January.. They are nearly done with both the special harness and the software updates to support the new MCU/2 as the retrofit you’re MCU/1.

You think we’ll actually get an MCU2 retrofit? Given they haven’t come out with that already as an optional upgrade, I’m just assuming they create compatibility with the FSD computer via software. I would be ecstatic if you were true (February 2018 build), but I’m not getting my hopes up.

You think we’ll actually get an MCU2 retrofit? Given they haven’t come out with that already as an optional upgrade, I’m just assuming they create compatibility with the FSD computer via software. I would be ecstatic if you were true (February 2018 build), but I’m not getting my hopes up.

I think we will get the MCU2 as a retrofit when finally upgrade our AP2.0 to AP3

Does anyone know why the MCU is preventing us with 2.0 to get 3.0?

I would have expected the radar or cameras to be the roadblock.

(DISCLAIMER - I have no technical experience with any of this, and I’m just a hack who reads the forms)

Personally, I don’t think the MCU1 has any compatibility issues PREVENTING the upgrade. I think it more has to do with the number of units on MCU1 is limited/finite, while the MCU2 is the future (with more cars on the road with MCU2 already and all cars produced going forward). If the last year and a half has any indication, they’ll do everything on MCU2 FIRST, and then provide us a hack job w/ tons of glitches SECOND.

PREDICTION: MCU1 will be compatible with FSD computer/HW3. It just won’t be developed until after more FSD features are already delivered on the M3 & newer S/X’s. Then they’ll have time to finally develop a hack for MCU1.

Reactions: MIT_S60
(DISCLAIMER - I have no technical experience with any of this, and I’m just a hack who reads the forms)

PREDICTION: MCU1 will be compatible with FSD computer/HW3. It just won’t be developed until after more FSD features are already delivered on the M3 & newer S/X’s. Then they’ll have time to finally develop a hack for MCU1.

Please define "It won't be developed until more FSD features are already delivered". What won't be developed. The FSD Computer (formally HW3) is the same. You can see the single part number in EPC.

I tried to schedule an appointment to upgrade to AP3 & MCU2 and this is what I got back...

I (JUST NOW) tried to schedule an appointment to upgrade to HW3 and MCU2. I immediately got this back as a text from mobile service.....

A Mobile Service Technician is scheduled to arrive on 2019-12-09 between the hours of 8:30:00 & 10:30:00. If there are extreme weather conditions, please provide garage or shelter access. Manage your appointment from the Tesla app - adjust date, time and services needed. We will contact you with any updates and provide an estimated service duration before your appointment. Visit our Support Page or the Tesla app for further assistance.

As this is just a robo answer to the request, I will not be holding my breath for the event to occur. But it occurred to me that the response possibly could be screened and you could get a different robo answer if your VIN is not on the list?

• Funny
Reactions: MIT_S60
I (JUST NOW) tried to schedule an appointment to upgrade to HW3 and MCU2. I immediately got this back as a text from mobile service.....

A Mobile Service Technician is scheduled to arrive on 2019-12-09 between the hours of 8:30:00 & 10:30:00. If there are extreme weather conditions, please provide garage or shelter access. Manage your appointment from the Tesla app - adjust date, time and services needed. We will contact you with any updates and provide an estimated service duration before your appointment. Visit our Support Page or the Tesla app for further assistance.

As this is just a robo answer to the request, I will not be holding my breath for the event to occur. But it occurred to me that the response possibly could be screened and you could get a different robo answer if your VIN is not on the list?
We made the same upgrade requests about 6 weeks ago and were put on the schedule. A couple of weeks later, a few days before our scheduled appointment, it was cancelled.

Negative. I got the same response. My car was produced on October 31st, 2016. If your car was produced before that, then maybe you have a better shot at successfully getting the upgrade.

Currently, they are only upgrading AP 2.5 cars built after March 2018.

Well, it appears that the information YOU have may no longer be true, as I just received this email from Tesla.

Tesla appointment.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02
Well, it appears that the information YOU have may no longer be true, as I just received this email from Tesla.

View attachment 479139
Yes, we received the same email 6 weeks ago. Our appointment was then cancelled days before the upgrade was supposed to take place.

BTW, if you have a "2018 SP100DL" then it has AP 2.5, not AP2. As I mentioned previously, they are upgrading cars built since March 2018. This thread is about HW2 cars waiting for the HW3 upgrade, not HW2.5 cars which are already getting upgraded.

If your car was built in early 2018 then there's a chance your appointment will be cancelled as well since they are currently not doing upgrades for cars with MCU1.

We shall see as my car is MUCH newer than yours. There is much time between now and December 9 to receive a notice that they are not going to update my car. Until such time as I have been informed by Tesla that it will not happen, I can always hope?

It will always be days before as that is when they start confirming things for your appointment. Good luck to you getting your upgrade!