Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S HW 2.0 to HW 3.0 Upgrades? (Not HW2.5 or Model 3 upgrades to HW3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same situation. I contacted the local service center and was told that Tesla has started to upgrade computers on customer cars to the 3.0 and that Tesla is reaching out to people to let them know when they can come in for the upgrade. But they did not know how Tesla determines when any given car is to receive the upgrade. So we wait. :)

This is what has been reported the past few weeks so far.
  • Vehicles with MCU/1 may need a MCU/2 upgrade.
  • FSD Computer Upgrades are starting with Model S and Model X owners first, but those with MCU/2 as it's just a swap
  • Some service centers are telling owners that they are starting on the west coast near the factory first, and then slowly moving east as they find bugs with the replacement (ie, the MCU/1 issue).
  • It may take up to a year to get the entire fleet done.
  • Owners will automatically receive an email advising that their turn is up and they can schedule a appointment.

Of course, none of the sis 100% confirmed by Tesla, only comments by owners on both TMC and Reddit, so let's see what happens over the course of the next 12 months.

• FSD Computer Upgrades are starting with Model S and Model X owners first, but those with MCU/2 as it's just a swap
  • Some service centers are telling owners that they are starting on the west coast near the factory first, and then slowly moving east as they find bugs with the replacement (ie, the MCU/1 issue).
  • Owners will automatically receive an email advising that their turn is up and they can schedule a appointment.

Of course, none of the sis 100% confirmed by Tesla, only comments by owners on both TMC and Reddit, so let's see what happens over the course of the next 12 months.

Thank you for the detailed write up. Crossing fingers that us with 2.0 will get it soon.

Curious where did you see that MCU1 may also need to be swapped?

I was not contacted but went ahead and scheduled a service appointment on the app and put HW3 upgrade in the description. I got a mobile appointment immediately but then it was changed to a service center appointment scheduled for Friday 11/22. I have MCU2 and HW2.5 currently. I was told there will be a software upgrade as well but to let the SC install it after the upgrade. Funny I am already seeing cones, shoulder drop-offs in red - and new color codings, with improved visualizations as well so I am wondering what the upgrade result will be...

• Informative
Reactions: GWord
57028B12-3D3C-49E8-9D39-8C75FFD3E3BA.jpeg
My software updates had been failing so I scheduled a service appointment. I was pissed when it wasn’t setup as a mobile appointment since I live 2 hours away from the closest service center. I called and was told it’s because my VIN was on the list for upgrade. Got the new computer last Saturday, 11/16, in Cincy. They also addressed the yellow border on my main screen with the UV treatment.

View attachment 478239 My software updates had been failing so I scheduled a service appointment. I was pissed when it wasn’t setup as a mobile appointment since I live 2 hours away from the closest service center. I called and was told it’s because my VIN was on the list for upgrade. Got the new computer last Saturday, 11/16, in Cincy. They also addressed the yellow border on my main screen with the UV treatment.

Which HW and MCU did you have?

From what I'm told, Group 1 are those with MCU/2 so their upgrades are occurring. MCU/1 are part of group 2, which are on hold pending the fix with MCU/1... and maybe the retrofit to MCU/2 as a $$$ option.

Interesting that we would need to buy MCU to get the upgrade. where did you hear that it may be a $$$ option?
I am hoping that I can soon get the HW 3.

I’m on MCU 1 and AP 2.0.

Interesting that we would need to buy MCU to get the upgrade. where did you hear that it may be a $$$ option?
I am hoping that I can soon get the HW 3.

I’m on MCU 1 and AP 2.0.
We don't now yet if MCU/2 is required, but right now MCU/1 doesn't work with FSD Computer.

That being said, Elon already said numerous times that they are working on a MCU/2 retrofit for $$$ which is what I was referencing.

• Informative
Reactions: UNSTPBL