Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S HW 2.0 to HW 3.0 Upgrades? (Not HW2.5 or Model 3 upgrades to HW3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will see. I'm trying to be hopeful. I really don't care about Netflix, Careoke, or the games. I would like to see more FSD capabilities. Drive across the country is not something I never expected, but there is a rainbow of features between what we have now and a sleep in the back X-country drive.

When we placed the order for our MC1/HW2 2017 S 100D with Enhanced AP/FSD, this is what was on the configuration page for our order:

Full Self-Driving Capability

This doubles the number of active cameras from four to eight, enabling full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at what we believe will be a probability of safety at least twice as good as the average human driver. The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver's seat. For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle.

All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don't say anything, the car will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination or just home if nothing is on the calendar. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigate urban streets (even without lane markings), manage complex intersections with traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts, and handle densely packed freeways with cars moving at high speed. When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and the car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself. A tap on your phone summons it back to you.

Please note that Self-Driving functionality is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction. It is not possible to know exactly when each element of the functionality described above will be available, as this is highly dependent on local regulatory approval. Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year.

$3,000
$4,000 after delivery
Requires Enhanced Autopilot

Note Tesla didn't include any statements about potential hardware upgrades. At the time, Tesla's marketing was claiming all vehicles were equipped for Full Self Driving.

Having the potential for future Full Self-Driving was a factor in our purchase, especially since we are planning to keep the vehicle for 6 to 8 years.

Still waiting...

I'm in the same boat you are. I'm not confident Tesla is going stand by the statement Elon made of a free upgrade to the FSD computer for MCU1 cars that have purchased FSD.
Nonsense. Elon clearly stated months ago that if you have paid for FSD, you will get it. Period. He has said nothing since to walk that statement back. Yet all I read here is all sorts of theoretical BS about possible additional costs for us to absorb.

If anyone insists on worrying, it seems reasonable to worry about when FSD for 2.0 cars will be delivered, not if. For those of us who have already waited three years for FSD we surely won't be shocked if the wait is another year or more, will we?

Last edited:
Reactions: SlyWombat
Will see. I'm trying to be hopeful. I really don't care about Netflix, Careoke, or the games. I would like to see more FSD capabilities. Drive across the country is not something I never expected, but there is a rainbow of features between what we have now and a sleep in the back X-country drive.
I also don't care about the MCU2 features (and don't really want to lose my AM radio), but I REALLY would like dashcam and sentry recording (even if they're in odd colors).

Tesla should at least provide more information to AP2/MCU1 owners about the status of their FSD support.

When those vehicles were purchased, Tesla claimed all vehicles being built at that time were capable of FSD, after testing and regulatory approval. No mention was made about hardware upgrades.

And any statement by Musk about AP2/MCU1 hardware upgrades is not official Tesla policy - Tesla should confirm - in writing to the affected owners - what Tesla will do to provide the FSD functionality that was purchased for those vehicles.

If the hardware upgrades are more than a simple swap of the AP processor board, it wouldn't be unreasonable for Tesla to provide the affected owners more information on what other changes will be needed.

And, if it'll take longer to get AP2/MCU1 vehicles upgraded to support FSD - Tesla should let us know.

If purchasing an MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade is an option - and that would shorten the time to get the new AP processor, we'd be willing to consider paying a reasonable price for the MCU upgrade (especially since it appears Tesla is starting to introduce new features only on MCU2).

Tesla should at least provide more information to AP2/MCU1 owners about the status of their FSD support.

When those vehicles were purchased, Tesla claimed all vehicles being built at that time were capable of FSD, after testing and regulatory approval. No mention was made about hardware upgrades.

And any statement by Musk about AP2/MCU1 hardware upgrades is not official Tesla policy - Tesla should confirm - in writing to the affected owners - what Tesla will do to provide the FSD functionality that was purchased for those vehicles.

If the hardware upgrades are more than a simple swap of the AP processor board, it wouldn't be unreasonable for Tesla to provide the affected owners more information on what other changes will be needed.

And, if it'll take longer to get AP2/MCU1 vehicles upgraded to support FSD - Tesla should let us know.

If purchasing an MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade is an option - and that would shorten the time to get the new AP processor, we'd be willing to consider paying a reasonable price for the MCU upgrade (especially since it appears Tesla is starting to introduce new features only on MCU2).
Why should Tesla provide any more reassurances? We paid for FSD and have no reason to think we won’t get it, unless you count all of the baseless speculation on Tesla message boards. As far as comments from service center staff, surely most Tesla owners realize these guys are often the last to know anything.

Musk did tweet that everyone who paid for FSD will get what they paid for and perhaps he shouldn’t have done so since all that seems to have accomplished is demands for even more reassurances.

It would be nice to have an implementation timeline but I seriously doubt Tesla could provide one that would be anything more than an overly optimistic Tesla-timetable.

Reactions: ahkahn
Why should Tesla provide any more reassurances? We paid for FSD and have no reason to think we won’t get it, unless you count all of the baseless speculation on Tesla message boards. As far as comments from service center staff, surely most Tesla owners realize these guys are often the last to know anything.

Musk did tweet that everyone who paid for FSD will get what they paid for and perhaps he shouldn’t have done so since all that seems to have accomplished is demands for even more reassurances.

It would be nice to have an implementation timeline but I seriously doubt Tesla could provide one that would be anything more than an overly optimistic Tesla-timetable.
"Baseless speculation" hmmm kinda like your post.

You do realize there is documented history of Tesla not delivering on past promises right? It's speculation of course but calling it baseless is baseless.

Can we please not have another thread devolve into complaining about various grievances? This thread could be a valuable place to get information about actual statements about the upgrade, but instead it’s filled with people complaining that Tesla will never give it(based on no actual information, hence the term “baseless”) or complaining about things they wanted in the past but didn’t get.

There are plenty of other threads to discuss all those grievances.

Can we please not have another thread devolve into complaining about various grievances? This thread could be a valuable place to get information about actual statements about the upgrade, but instead it’s filled with people complaining that Tesla will never give it(based on no actual information, hence the term “baseless”) or complaining about things they wanted in the past but didn’t get.

There are plenty of other threads to discuss all those grievances.

Thank you for keeping to topic of thread. I’m hoping that we will hear on this thread as soon as a 2.0 car gets updated to 3.0.

I visited my Tempe, AZ service center last week and asked about FSD computer retrofits. They haven't done any (not for any 2.5 or 2.0 cars) and don't know anything about the future.

I would have thought there'd be some 2.5 > 3.0 retrofits in Arizona given the proximity to CA, but nope.

I visited my Tempe, AZ service center last week and asked about FSD computer retrofits. They haven't done any (not for any 2.5 or 2.0 cars) and don't know anything about the future.

I would have thought there'd be some 2.5 > 3.0 retrofits in Arizona given the proximity to CA, but nope.

They probably have done AP 2.5 mcu2 cars

Fantastic and congratulations! Now, please, someone show an upgrade to a 2017 HW 2.0, 2017 MS, FSD paid for in March 2017.

You won't see it. Tesla is scrambling to find a solution without having to replace MCUs. I could very well see this ending in admitting FSD is not possible with MCU1 so you either pay for the upgrade or they will refund you the FSD cost