Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S HW 2.0 to HW 3.0 Upgrades? (Not HW2.5 or Model 3 upgrades to HW3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well said. I often wonder what people hope to accomplish by needlessly clogging an already overwhelmed service organization with what can only be categorized as BS requests.

And then those same people complain that service has gone downhill. Well....no kidding! Stop requesting the upgrade and clogging up the schedule! Until Tesla actually wide releases FSD that requires the new hardware, there’s no point in upgrading. Besides, there’s a possibility that Tesla May realize a different hardware upgrade is required for FSD.

Another confirmation that MCU is not the issue and that FSD is coming for us. I would like to see a timeline for when we get FSD.

Attachments

• 0B7ACC44-2D13-4804-9297-7281F92075DE.jpeg
    0B7ACC44-2D13-4804-9297-7281F92075DE.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: Ludalicious
Another confirmation that MCU is not the issue and that FSD is coming for us. I would like to see a timeline for when we get FSD.

That means nothing. MCU1 is the issue right now it's been confirmed many times. Elon has always maintained it's a simple computer swap, he's just out of touch and speaking in generalizations. Ask yourself why would they upgrade MCU2 cars to HW3 before people that paid for FSD years ago. This doesn't mean they aren't working on getting MCU1 to work with HW3. But for him to suggest its plug and play and ready to go today is a lie. It could be months, it could be years before we see the older cars upgraded.

Reactions: croman
That means nothing. MCU1 is the issue right now it's been confirmed many times. Elon has always maintained it's a simple computer swap, he's just out of touch and speaking in generalizations. Ask yourself why would they upgrade MCU2 cars to HW3 before people that paid for FSD years ago. This doesn't mean they aren't working on getting MCU1 to work with HW3. But for him to suggest its plug and play and ready to go today is a lie. It could be months, it could be years before we see the older cars upgraded.

Years? Years!?!? Hahaha...People REALLY want to see their traffic cones I guess.

What we know: A very limited amount of S/X/3’s are getting HW3 at the moment. MCU1 currently isn’t on that short list.

That being said the overreaction that MCU1 isn’t compatible/wont work for HW3 is so comical to me. Everyone needs to chill out for a bit and wait until there are actual FSD features delivered. They’ll get it done.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman and ahkahn
Looks like some more news. Glad to read Elon admitting that there are some difficulties in making this happen. This is the best and most accurate response to date.View attachment 490267

Hope this means they are still at work trying to figure it out and will have it out soon for the rest of us.

The current number that are getting the new hardware is rather small compared to when they open it to MCU1 S & X and Model 3.

Maybe for AP2 if it needs new cameras or the new radar and redundant wiring for power steering etc... but for AP2.5 w/MCU1 @verygreen already showed it was a plug and play replacement.
green on Twitter
Very Green is a smart man, but my service tech who has done several MCU1 to MCU2 swaps (in Verygreen’s mobile service region might I add) has informed me there was a harness or two that had to be repinned and a couple other odd procedures completed for full a swap, and it also needed the driving display changed.

Very Green is a smart man, but my service tech who has done several MCU1 to MCU2 swaps (in Verygreen’s mobile service region might I add) has informed me there was a harness or two that had to be repinned and a couple other odd procedures completed for full a swap, and it also needed the driving display changed.
This might be the first time I see someone claim that a service tech has done an MCU1->MCU2 retrofit. AP2.5->AP3.0 (with MCU2 at this time) have been reported quite a bit.

Reactions: scottf200
Things that will never happen...Replacing MCU1's with MCU2's
Follow up - think Tesla offering a MCU1 (or 2, 3, etc.) upgrade path to the current MCU will only be pursued if it is cost effective for the company.

Duh, right?

What I think we miss here is not the obvious response to "cost-effective" of "I'll just pay [whatever]", but rather the developmental cost Tesla can save by not having to further develop multiple branches of code AND the revenue they can gain by offering the more up-to-date options on cars that are traded back into the company for resale.

For example, if Tesla can juice an extra $5k for current/future FSD support - or whatever other future options would require the support of newer hardware - from a used car sale by upgrading the hardware (AP comp, MCU, etc.), you've got a revenue case to move forward.

Ditto for offering whatever upgrades to the existing ownership base as well.

Combine that with developmental savings by not having to port current software backwards, as you can just pull the old tech forward with an upgrade, and a business case to offer a hardware path, within reason, comes into focus.

To be clear: I am not saying Tesla will upgrade MCU1s to MUC2s just for giggles, but I do think there some business logic in focusing on pulling old tech forward through upgrades vis-a-vis trying to take new software back to old tech.

Not sure how Tesla will play it but FWIW I, a MCU1 owner who prepaid for FSD, would not mind paying for a MCU1 > MCUnew upgrade.

Follow up - think Tesla offering a MCU1 (or 2, 3, etc.) upgrade path to the current MCU will only be pursued if it is cost effective for the company.

Duh, right?

What I think we miss here is not the obvious response to "cost-effective" of "I'll just pay [whatever]", but rather the developmental cost Tesla can save by not having to further develop multiple branches of code AND the revenue they can gain by offering the more up-to-date options on cars that are traded back into the company for resale.

For example, if Tesla can juice an extra $5k for current/future FSD support - or whatever other future options would require the support of newer hardware - from a used car sale by upgrading the hardware (AP comp, MCU, etc.), you've got a revenue case to move forward.

Ditto for offering whatever upgrades to the existing ownership base as well.

Combine that with developmental savings by not having to port current software backwards, as you can just pull the old tech forward with an upgrade, and a business case to offer a hardware path, within reason, comes into focus.

To be clear: I am not saying Tesla will upgrade MCU1s to MUC2s just for giggles, but I do think there some business logic in focusing on pulling old tech forward through upgrades vis-a-vis trying to take new software back to old tech.

Not sure how Tesla will play it but FWIW I, a MCU1 owner who prepaid for FSD, would not mind paying for a MCU1 > MCUnew upgrade.

When I posted that, I was responding to those who conjured up the pipe dream of Tesla replacing ALL MCU1's with MCU2's at the company's expense. That will never, ever, ever, happen.

Now if they offer a paid upgrade path, that is very possible (and I'm hopeful they do!).

In the latest investor Autonomy day video in April, Elon mentioned that the next computer chip will be at least 3 times faster than the current HW3.0 FSD chip and was 2 years out. By the time they figure how to retrofit HW2.0 vehicles the next chip will probably be close to completion. You would think if the current HW3.0 was really capable of FSD wouldn't they be investing all these resources into programming and getting the old vehicles on HW3.0. I can't be the only one not fully confident that the current chip/cameras will achieve FSD.

Maybe for AP2 if it needs new cameras or the new radar and redundant wiring for power steering etc... but for AP2.5 w/MCU1 @verygreen already showed it was a plug and play replacement.
green on Twitter
I’m curious if regulators require full redundancy how 2.0 cars with no redundant systems other than the HW3 computer itself are going to meet that.

(I don’t understand why people downvoted my last post lol I was stating fact not opinion. Don’t be fairies people)