Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - I keep losing credit cards and checks in the console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone else has this issue and how they've resolved it. In my Tesla Model S, the newer ones that have center console in between the seats. If you lay a credit card or check there and then you start to drive and you brake, the credit cards, papers, checks or whatever slide up into the console where you can no longer reach them. I had to take my car to the service center to get them to take the console apart to retrieve the checks that fell back behind there. This was the same with my last Tesla as well. I know that I should just learn not to lay stuff on top of the console, but it's so frustrating. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Yes... I've likely got all sorts of crap in there. There Model S Tesla console is not well designed. You've got a big, poorly accessible, open space between the console and dash, and then inside the console, below the phone plug. It's because the original cars had no console and Tesla wanted to put one in with minimal redesign & tooling cost.

This will only be fixed when they refresh the interior - probably early in the new year. In the meantime, it is possible to fish stuff out of there, but it's a pain.

Yes, I too have lost plenty of things there.

Here's the technique for getting them out:

1. Place hand in cubby.

2. Pull down hard to release cubby from IP.

3. Fish around in the now exposed forward area of the center console to find credit cards, money, old business cards, etc.

4. Re-install cubby by snapping it upwards into its old position.

Repeat as needed when you can't find flat-ish things you know are/were in your Model S . . . .

Yes this cubby method worked! Thank you - no need to dismantle the console! Put a towel in the space to prevent future disasters.

Attachments

• IMG_3643.jpg
    IMG_3643.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 75
I still get checks once in awhile. Recently, I got a payment from a major insurance company. When I get checks I use the app and do internet deposit and all is good. This time, I got a refusal stating the check can't be deposited electronically and must be delivered in person to the bank. I get to the bank and they refused to open the door due to the riots, for security purposes, but there is no riot in the area. So had to wait in a long line for an hour at the drive through. I had requested the Insurance company to direct deposit the money to my account through wire or ACH and they refused, stating this type of payment has to be done by paper check and sent through the mail.

I also discovered even Tesla requires a paper check to buy a car that is financed by them to pay for the taxes and fees.

As for the checks and credit cards getting lost in the console. Find a better place to keep these items, like in your wallet. :) Maybe I'm old school even though I like new tech. I still carry a wallet and don't lay my money, checks, and CC's around. on the first surface I see, like the console.