TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Idle for 2 Months -- Plugged in?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by gizmoboy, Feb 21, 2016.

1. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

I am going to be traveling for the next 8 week, and am not sure the best practice for my MS. Should I leavee it plugged into the HPWC or keep it unplugged and have my wife plug in in once a week or something?

I searched the forum for a few keywords (idle, long period, unplugged), but couldn't find anything quite relevant (found something about the tires...)

2. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Leave it plugged in.

3. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

4. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

The consensus seems to be that a 50% charge is best for long-term storage. I would set the charge limit to 50% and then leave the car plugged in. There's no need to drain it down to 50% before you go, but if the vampire drain takes it down that far then the car will keep it at that level afterwards.

5. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

Thanks everyone!

I set the charge limit to 50% and left it plugged into the HPWC.

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I wish Tesla still gave out the card shown above when the cars are delivered. This question gets asked a lot, even though the answer is in the owners manual. In bold. Several times. Either that, or give out a card reminding people to RTFM. This is unlike any car people have ever driven. It really pays to read the manual even if you've never looked at an owners manual before.

7. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

I would leave it plugged in and set to 50% charge.

Make sure to have energy savings mode turned on and always connected turned off. Check that you can still get a cell signal as you want the car to "phone home" if there are any problems.