Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Impressions After 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first time ever driving a Tesla was when I picked up my AWD 3. I’ve put 1100 miles on it over the last few weeks and just dropped it off for some warranty work. They gave me a S100D as a loaner. Fun! First impressions:

Those door handles are cool.

Now how do I get the rear ones out for the kids?

The interior is impressive. Lots of Alcantara. The doors are cool. I don’t usually care for decorative carbon fiber and that is still the case here.

The white seats feel firmer than those in the 3. I like the driver’s seat a lot better. Better fit and more lateral support - if told they were Recaro, I would believe it.

The interior is actually kind of oppressive. This is my first time sitting in another car since taking delivery. Visibility feels much worse and the cabin is not as airy. I think the light headliner (not my preference) actually works to the advantage of the 3.

Starting to drive - familiar. Regen feels weaker. Acceleration doesn’t seem to begin as aggressively, but keeps building longer. Big girl can move.

Steering is obviously different. The air ride is smooth. This would be a comfortable road trip car.

The dual displays are dynamic with cool graphics, but feel redundant compared to the 3’s setup. I wouldn’t need the map preview if they just put the speed and autopilot info next to the main map!

Nothing groundbreaking here, but I am definitely having fun driving it. $106k loaner - sure beats a base model 320i!

Regarding door handles, there is a setting option for door handles that will be something on the order of "driver side only", you need to deselect. Then the rear door handles will work the same way as driver side.
Premium seats in S are better than M3 as to support / sporty feel. Steering feel is adjustable similar to M3.

Day 2. 30 mi highway commute. Some traffic, mostly cruising at 75mph.

Tire and wind noise is much better than in the 3. Also, could be related, but the stereo seems significantly louder. It is definitely easier to hear at lower levels on the highway. Lacks some clarity and detail as compared to the 3, though.

Too many stalks! I accidentally put it in N while driving and trying to find autopilot. Shame on me. RTFM! EAP was essentially identical in behavior. It hugged the left side of the lane at first, but eventually centered up.

Every car needs a bioweapon defense mode button!!

Maybe I underestimated the acceleration in my initial post. Stepping on it from around 25mph when changing lanes on the interstate had all of the urgency I could ask for.

In this morning's low light, the lesser quality of the center screen hardware was apparent. It is ready for an update.

I had an old RWD S85 loaner for five days while Tesla fixed a rattle on my 3. I agree with most of your observations. I actually thought I would think the S is too big but I didn't think it was a chore to park and it had a much more compliant suspension than my 3. If I had an extra $100K lying around and did more highway driving I would consider it.

I had an S as a loaner and I was very surprised how little I enjoyed driving it. Its a rocket for sure but its big, like Granddads 70's Cadillac big. It was just too excessive for my taste, floaty and soft. I could not wait to get back in my 3, I've always liked small European cars so take my opinion with that in mind.

Really? In my 3, I feel that the loudest setting is far too loud to comfortably listen to. And I like it loud from time to time.

I cannot definitely assert that it is louder, but it seemed that way to me. I do have the dial set lower when driving on the highway than in my own car, but this could be attributed to the reduced ambient noise. At full volume, I can start to feel the low frequencies in my chest - I don't recall the model 3 getting quite that loud.

@voip-ninja @MountainPass I agree! It is quite the car and a very generous loaner. If I wanted (and could afford) a bigger car, it would be a sure thing. My gripes are mostly centered around the "old" tech, though. In the hypothetical situation where I was shopping for one, I think I'd wait for the next major interior refresh in hopes of it getting the Model 3 treatment.

I cannot definitely assert that it is louder, but it seemed that way to me. I do have the dial set lower when driving on the highway than in my own car, but this could be attributed to the reduced ambient noise. At full volume, I can start to feel the low frequencies in my chest - I don't recall the model 3 getting quite that loud.

@voip-ninja @MountainPass I agree! It is quite the car and a very generous loaner. If I wanted (and could afford) a bigger car, it would be a sure thing. My gripes are mostly centered around the "old" tech, though. In the hypothetical situation where I was shopping for one, I think I'd wait for the next major interior refresh in hopes of it getting the Model 3 treatment.

Yes, I don't know that I would buy the current iteration since they should be deploying the new interior in about a year.

Got my car back this morning.

Wow, I strongly prefer the driving experience and control setup in the 3. Sitting in it again for the first time, the car disappears as soon as I start to drive. The simplified control scheme in the 3 (two stalks and two wheels) is superior. Autopilot is easier to manage with my hands in a natural driving position. I miss none of the extra physical buttons.

I think the glass roof is more visible to the driver in the 3 (I have long legs and sit with the seat quite far back in both cars).

My phone has a home again!

I do miss the luxury feel of the Model S. It is clearly a more upmarket product. There are also the "big car" advantages, but I've never sought out a car in that size class before. And the road noise... ugh. The Model 3 must have a microphone near the tires rebroadcasting into the cabin.

The stereo in the S.. maybe it is not much louder in terms of peak dB, but I am certain the bass drivers are either larger or nearer the driver's seat. The low end of the frequency spectrum is fuller in the S. Clarity in the 3 is definitely better, particularly in the mid to high frequency range.

And the 3's steering wheel... The best out of any car I have driven. One of the ugliest, too.

• Funny
Reactions: Scott7 and nvx1977
I had an S as a loaner and I was very surprised how little I enjoyed driving it. Its a rocket for sure but its big, like Granddads 70's Cadillac big. It was just too excessive for my taste, floaty and soft. I could not wait to get back in my 3, I've always liked small European cars so take my opinion with that in mind.
It was the same experience for me as well. Driving the S made me miss my 3. The S definitely has some advantages but overall I would not pay the extra money to go from the 3 to an S.

My loaner was a S P85D with Ludicrous. I'm not sure the exact age, but it was clearly top of the line when release. I sat down in the car it was like plopping onto a comfy couch, rather than a well supporting sports car feel of the 3. Next I was wondering where to put my stuff since there was clearly not enough storage for anything that was easily accessible to the driver.
The speed was amazing. You really do have to brace yourself for the max acceleration and warn your passengers.
The space was nice and it worked well for a few ikea runs that week.

I was glad to be back in my 3 and very glad that I didnt' buy a used S before the 3 became available.

I had a Model S for several years before getting my 3. When I had an S loaner again I couldn't believe how big it felt, how low the roof was, how big the steering wheel was and how dated the interior looked. The tall roof of the 3 is part of why I think it looks a little goofy, but it sure is nice for a tall person. I too hated the Model 3's steering wheel until I got used to it.

love the steering wheel too. don't notice the ugliness anymore.

S was my first tesla, and I thought nothing could ever beat that driving experience. The transition from ICE to [best]EV was amazing. But then I got the 3, and I barely want to drive the S anymore.

I don't have a road noise issue in my 3. I've measured the noise levels of both cars too; they are very close...

I had a '14 85, pretty basic, as a loaner for a few days and I agree on visibility, driving dynamics, and steering wheel size. I also really loved the sunroof, and the air suspension. I don't agree on the seats. Maybe the old 85 I had was worn out (it was at 45k miles?) but the seats were flat, too slippery (worn out leather), and rather uncomfortable compared to the 3. One part that really drove me nuts was the turn stalk being below the small other stalk (I think it was cruise control? didn't seem to do any AP functionality). I guess I just didnt like the look/placement/feel of the stalks on the S. The screen in the center was also showing its age, the viewing angle was tighter, contrast was lower, refresh rate in the cold was noticeably slow. I'd love to drive a new S, maybe a D with PUP just see how it compares to the old model, since comparing any 2014 car to our shiny new 3's probably isn't fair. Hell I upgraded from a '14 Fusion, and everything in there feels so dated after the 3. The '14 S definitely aged better than the Ford lol.

REALLY wish the 3 had all the displays. I love the realtime energy readout.
But I LOVE the view of the road from the 3 with no dash. It's like you're sitting right out on the road, like some glass bubble front concept car from the 80s.

If anything, I find the 3 to feel a lot more "finished" and upscale than the S; the S has a kind of chintzy center bin, chintzy doors with no pockets, etc.

Can't believe the S100D doesn't feel fast to you though!