Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in New England winters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where are you located?
As my avatar suggests, I work in the John Hancock Tower; I live in Charlestown.

My only reservation about the Model S is that, at this point in the EV charging buildout, I would not want this to be the only car in the family. We have friends in odd corners (e.g. southern Quebec) that would be tedious to get to with the MS only.

Last edited:
Assuming the means, I can't think of any good reason not to get one. No regrets, second thoughts, and certainly no disappointments here! If anything, the car's been better than I hoped it would be.

Great to hear!

I'll second that! Actually it's more like when I get to work "Damn, I'm here already????" The only thing better than that is having to use your car FOR work. They sure didn't have to ask me twice if I wouldn't mind using my own vehicle.
Haha, I can totally understand - car must be a real pleasure to drive everyday!

My only reservation about the Model S is that, at this point in the EV charging buildout, I would not want this to be the only car in the family. We have friends in odd corners (e.g. southern Quebec) that would be tedious to get to with the MS only.

I've actually thought about this and i rarely travel outside of the EV range (other than NY, but we know we have Milford).
I have plenty of family in the area that wouldn't mind "borrowing" the MS in case I needed it for longer distance :D

- - - Updated - - -

The only other big concern I've had is the RWD - I have a AWD car now and it's great for the winter.
We've had RWD's in the past and they've totally sucked in the snow ;-). Anyone have experience, real-world? I've spoken to Tesla about it and watched the Tesla MS snow testing videos - but a non-biased real-world opinion would be awesome

We've had RWD's in the past and they've totally sucked in the snow ;-). Anyone have experience, real-world? I've spoken to Tesla about it and watched the Tesla MS snow testing videos - but a non-biased real-world opinion would be awesome

Somewhat depends on how much snow you get where you live. I recommend just getting a set of winter tires (on 19" wheels) from Tesla and it will never be a concern again. Worked fine for me this year in all sorts of conditions. My BMW X5 (AWD and also has winter tires) had more snow/ice issues than the Model S on my driveway (goes up & around).

There's a lot of first-hand experience with winters in the Model S in other threads:
Driving in New England Winters
Winter Driving Experiences
Driving my Model S in extreme winter conditions

Short answer: it did great, but Tesla should tinker with the TC to allow a bit more slippage and to allow driving at somewhat higher speeds with a High suspension setting. This was the first winter when I didn't have issues getting out of my driveway, even as people who share it were slipping around in their AWD.

Somewhat depends on how much snow you get where you live. I recommend just getting a set of winter tires (on 19" wheels) from Tesla and it will never be a concern again. Worked fine for me this year in all sorts of conditions. My BMW X5 (AWD and also has winter tires) had more snow/ice issues than the Model S on my driveway (goes up & around).

There's a lot of first-hand experience with winters in the Model S in other threads:

Short answer: it did great, but Tesla should tinker with the TC to allow a bit more slippage and to allow driving at somewhat higher speeds with a High suspension setting. This was the first winter when I didn't have issues getting out of my driveway, even as people who share it were slipping around in their AWD.

Great! Thans!

Last edited:
Assuming the means, I can't think of any good reason not to get one. No regrets, second thoughts, and certainly no disappointments here! If anything, the car's been better than I hoped it would be.

Ditto. 3 1/2 months. 6K miles, and Zero Regrets. Really a joy.
Dave enjoyed speaking (laughing) you in Watertown yesterday. Will need to find the Trillium Brewery soon.

- - - Updated - - -

The only other big concern I've had is the RWD - I have a AWD car now and it's great for the winter.

I have driven in blizzards and mountains, and had no problem. No, not as good as some AWDs, but much better than our AWD Toyota Highlander. I never even bought snow tires - I am on the stock Goodyear 19s. The key is that the car is not pushing around an engine, it is weighted about 50/50 and differently than others such as the M5 as the weight is very very low to the ground, as you know. All I can say is I had no problem, taking delivery Dec 16th and driving 1200 miles in the Rte 89 and 93 valleys by the first week in January. I did disengage the traction control twice to maneuver one small hill from a stop, and getting into a driveway which was a sharp turn, downhill one very snowy (18 inches) eve. But I'd just driven up an amazingly steep hill without a flinch. Range is attenuated some in the extreme cold, esp if leaving with a cold battery. There are simple tricks to overcome those issues and you'd have to be Broder-Foolish to have a real problem.

Buying a Lexus is like buying a Blackberry. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I have to sheepishly note that I really can not pull off a Sunday drive either of the next two weekends.
Family obligations this week, Son in a musical, and next week the 14th I will be road-tripping in Elwood to Virginia, making good use of Superchargers and anyone else with a plug.

Now, Sunday, April 21st...anyone up for a New England Ride? Either late morning and a stop for lunch, or Sunday afternoon and a stop for no good reason. See previous post:

New Englanders -- check in! - Page 22

I'll second that! Actually it's more like when I get to work "Damn, I'm here already????" The only thing better than that is having to use your car FOR work. They sure didn't have to ask me twice if I wouldn't mind using my own vehicle.

Thanks everyone - ended up ordering :D