TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S in rough neighborhoods

Discussion in 'Model S' started by harcocjh, Jul 6, 2016.

1. harcocjh

harcocjh Member

This might be an odd question but does anyone have any experience driving in rough neighborhoods with their model S or even another luxury car? I work in some bad area's around chicago and right now my current car is really nothing to notice but I'm concerned that driving something more flashy might attract unwanted attention. I've even contemplated the color of the car and what color might stand out less.

Any thoughts on the subject?

2. CJPonline

CJPonline Member

I don't have any more or less anxiety, my previous car was an Audi A6. Luxury car is a luxury car, any neighborhood can increase anxiety.

3. Shawn Snider

Shawn Snider Member

They should add JARVIS to the S, narrate things around you like the way he does for Tony in his Suit! Be the voice of AP!

• Like x 1
  4. 1208

1208 Active Member

Don't let them influence you and win. Do what you want and get the colour you want.

Besides if you get luxury they might think you are Mafia or something powerful and be scared to do stuff to it.

5. harcocjh

harcocjh Member

Lol...hopefully!

6. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

"Enter Zip Codes to Avoid" in sat nav option ;)

7. kort677

kort677 Active Member

wearing a flashy watch, flashing a wad of cash, wearing expensive threads driving a flashy car could all pose issues. tread wisely is the best advice

8. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

There are certain neighborhoods at certain hours under certain circumstances in the greater Los Angeles area into which it is unwise or unnecessary to venture, whether on foot, bicycle, or in a vehicle of almost any kind.

I imagine it's the same in certain parts of the greater Chicago area.

Has zero to do with fear and everything to do with situational awareness and risk mitigation.

If you wouldn't go there in a Hyundai, why go there in a Tesla?

That said, if I had a nickel for every time I've heard "Nice Audi", I'd have a lot of nickels. So look at it this way - if you get carjacked, maybe the perpetrator just likes Audis, or, more probably, doesn't care what you drive as long as it looks choppable :).

9. harcocjh

harcocjh Member

Good point. Risk mitigation is going to be key. I'll need to plan my route as best I can to get out of the area quickly and just be alert and aware. At least the Model S would be quick enough to book it outta there if I saw someone coming up that looked threatening. Can't wait for instant torque!!

10. nexsuperne101

nexsuperne101 Member

Well, the next obvious Tesla upgrade would be an energy based force field, complete with Rail gun. It isn't like there isn't enough stored energy for some pretty gnarly weapons :)

• Funny x 1
  11. syswei

syswei Member

I suggest white or silver, and debadging to the extent you can.

• Funny x 1
  12. Lightmatrix

Lightmatrix Member

I usually get 1 of 3 responses and 1 non-response in areas I drive my Tesla where someone communicates with me:

1. WHAT IS THIS MASERATI?
    2. What kind of car is this, I've never seen this before
    3. WHOA TESLA HOW MUCH WAS THAT?!
    4. No response

13. harcocjh

harcocjh Member

I've been thinking white because it's cheaper and also it looks really nice IMO (never thought much of white cars before). Though to me it seems super bright like it WOULD stand out (except if it snows...which happens sometimes in Chicago lol).

I really like Midnight Silver Metallic and was thinking maybe it would stand out less. Then again maybe the white would blend in more because there are a lot of white cars. I like the idea of debadging but mainly because I'd be getting a 60D but everyone would else would wonder if it was a P90DL. :)

Another thought I just had is in a car jacking they wouldn't know how to open the door since the handle would be flush, haha. Is the instant torque faster than a speeding bullet? jk

• Like x 1
  14. grichard

grichard Member De-Luxe

Speaking as a guy whose commute takes him north of Delmar in St. Louis every day...

I've never worried too much about carjacking. Most of my driving is done on relatively big streets, even in really lousy neighborhoods. I'd try to avoid doing Stupid Stuff like driving down a small 1-lane street where you could easily be blocked.

On the other hand, I worry about vandalism to a parked car quite a bit. If I routinely had to park on-street in nasty neighborhoods, I'd think about driving something else.

• Like x 1
  15. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

I wouldn't let that stop you from getting what you want. While the S is a nice car and has the looks to match, many people aren't able to identify it on sight. It just looks like an upscale sedan, so alot of people are going to think it's an Acura/Lexus/Audi etc. Those that are in the know, probably aren't going to think its really worth messing with anyway. Aside from the wheels maybe, there's not a lot of "choppable" stuff to be had. And with the internet connection, it will be real easy to find and track.

Otherwise, just use common sense. Stop leaving your burlap bag with a big "$" on the passenger seat.

16. Lightmatrix

Lightmatrix Member

99.99% of people who know what a Tesla is think you HAVE a burlap bag full of $ in it all around your home/car :p Regardless of reality or fact.

• Like x 3
  17. harcocjh

harcocjh Member

The good thing is that where I'll be parked is fairly secure. It's mainly driving THROUGH the area's where I might be concerned.

I think it'll be ok. This will be BY FAR the nicest car I've ever owned so I guess I'm just being paranoid. I appreciate all the responses.

That's just it. I'm not rich. I will be stretching a bit to get this car. I live pretty modestly otherwise. I've even thought to myself that maybe I'll need to update my wardrobe to look the part if I own a Tesla! LOL

• Like x 1
  18. sorka

sorka Active Member

I'm starting to ease up on the OCD on my 2009 Prius with 226K miles on it. I even allowed myself to park it next to another car at Raily's the other day. Granted it was a wide spot and no chance of the other car's door hitting me, but It was a big moment for me ;)

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  19. Pdub2015

Pdub2015 Member

Don't you guys have insurance?

• Dislike x 1
  20. syswei

syswei Member

White is so popular that it doesn't stand out, imo. Especially if you let it stay somewhat dirty.

Also, I suggest sticking to the base wheels.