Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in service since 4/28, nobody is picking up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

My car has been stuck in the service department since 4/28, they said it's some kind of motor problem. I have no loaner car, and the car has been there almost a month...

Are other owners experiencing this as well? Anyway to escalate this?

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: markwj
This is an all too common occurrence. Based on my experience, the more you complain and harass them, the more likely they will be responsive and give you a loaner car. From now on, I refuse to take the car in unless I know I am getting a loaner and they come to my house to pick up the car.

I love the car, the electric drivetrain etc. But at the end of the day, if BMW, Mercedes, or Audi had a car with similar specifications and performance at a similar price, I would have NO hesitation to ditch Tesla for those brands. Quite simply, the car is not well built - you can tell from the quality of the fittings, the panel gaps, upholstery etc. I have had an ongoing noise issue from my headliner every time i hit a pothole which ceases to be properly fixed (noise goes from one area to the next after fixing); the car makes the kind of noises you would expect from a car that is 5-10 years old (and I took delivery 9 months ago); software bugs never stop (spotify hardly works), light fixture needs replacing etc etc. Air conditioner makes loud noises from time to time, charge port had issues opening when i got it, windscreen wipers and electric windows make creaking noises when in use from time to time. A friend of mine took delivery 2 months after me and he told me that the electronic door handle on the passenger side doesn't close anymore.

I did not have the autopilot option ticked but I would be pretty scared to use it given the reliability of the rest of the car.

To cap it off, the service centre is understaffed and inexperienced. Turnaround times are horrendous. Every time I speak to someone there and complain the answer is always the same: "Yes sir we understand - we are very busy and we are looking into it". Don't even get me started at the lack of availability on superchargers.

Its such a shame. If the quality and reliability was just 70% of Merc, BMW, Audi etc, I would give this car close to 5 stars out of 5. However, for now I have to give it 2.5 stars.

Reactions: David99
I totally agree, I just tried calling their service number, all numbers went to voicemail :( I've never bought a car in this price range with this level of service (let's not talk about build quality). Even my first toyota had better service. Sigh.

That being said, I'm still helpless, have emailed hongkong (at) tesla.com, let's see if they write back.

Posting somewhat reluctantly, because I love what Tesla is doing and have been a massive supporter, but have to agree the service facilities in Hong Kong have utterly failed to keep up with the numbers of Tesla on the road. Delays are so long as to be unacceptable, never any loaner possibilities, and total lack of communication. I'll keep my roadster in the hope things improve, but unless they do I will be cancelling my Model 3 reservation when the time comes. Tesla really needs to get to grips with the service issue in Hong Kong. Once lost, a reputation can be very hard to regain.

Volta.

Reactions: markwj and newtman
Hi all,

My car has been stuck in the service department since 4/28, they said it's some kind of motor problem. I have no loaner car, and the car has been there almost a month...

Are other owners experiencing this as well? Anyway to escalate this?

Thanks!

I suggest you Twitter Elon. I feel that he will reply and handle this for you.

He once said Hong Kong will be the beacon city for EV, but with service like this, it will slow down the adoption progress.

My car is going in today for 12V batt warning.
Speaking to them this morning I was told they don't have ranger service in Hong Kong.
I didn't believe it. Was that complete and utter misinformation?

They used to provide ranger service (ie working on your car at your home), but given the load on the workshop and shortage of technicians, I guess they stopped that.

They still offer valet pick-up/drop-off of the vehicle, according to my understanding.

Shared your experience, gubes, philly and volta.

I got my car in mid March 2016 and two weeks after delivery, there was sound coming out when reversing and steering my car left out of my car park and when going forward by steering right after coming out from my parking spot. This did not happen once but every time I moved my car out from my parking space. I called the after sale service and they said they knew what the problem was and assured me that the car was safe to drive. To be prudent, I made an appointment to fix the problem together with some annoying sound coming from the A/C in mid July.

Last week (26 May), when backing up from my parking spot, the car did not work properly and after backing further, the mud cover of the front left wheel came out and then the car could not move. To facilitate the tow car, I had to "force" drive my car down to the ground level. After my car was towed back to TML Tower and checked, I was told that the front arm was broken because it was hit by something. I could not believe it because it was just 2.5 months with just over 2K km driven. The body of my car is superb and I have taken good care of the car. How could it be hit at the bottom of the car! Tesla said that the problem was not due to any defect of the parts and asked me to call my insurance to send a surveyor to check it. Of course, I rejected it because had I done it, it would mean that I admitted it was my fault. After one day, the guy told me (I forgot if it was I called him or he called me) that a senior engineer would come to look at the problem on 30 May. Tesla's after sale service is really really bad, nobody called me back to tell me what the comment of the senior engineer was. I called on 30 May and of course was only forwarded to the voice mail. I had to call again on 31 May and left a message to get the guy to call me back. He called back later and told me that the senior engineer could not determine what caused the problem either. Photos would be (if not had been) taken and sent to the US. I do not how long I will need to wait before an answer comes back from the US, not to mention the time to get the car repaired. I did ask the repair time and as expected, the answer was "unable to tell"!!! How dare the guy say that the problem was not due to Tesla's manufacturing defect if sound came out 2 weeks after delivery.

I asked for a loaner but was told that they had none available. I once thought about not continue to pay back the loan and let Orix take the car right back from the Tesla factory. Had I known that Tesla's after sale service and product were so terrible, I would not have ordered such an expensive car!

My experience is that their service is good when they can fit you in, and I've had quite a few service calls.
They clearly think you drove over something and damaged the car or you're not telling the truth.

You were right. They said that it was me who damaged the car as there was no defect with the car. But why did I intentionally damage my brand new car and caused myself so much inconvenience? Not able to provide a loaner and more importantly, need to repay the loan!

If Tesla claimed that their cars have no manufacturing defects, why was there a sound when steering the driving wheel 2 weeks after delivery? How come there was this annoying sound from the A/C which I could not find in other brands such as Nissan, BMW, and MB? Are these defects or not? MS is good to drive if everything is ok. However, I am sure the car has some flaws here or there.

So another service center experience to share:

On March 7, I contacted Tesla to say that there was a new headliner noise issue and they needed to fix one or two other minor things (remember this is a car I took delivery in November 2015). I said I wouldn't take the appointment unless they provided me with a loaner (we really can't go much more than a day or two without a car). As a result I had to wait until May 26th for the appointment - I didn't mind so much as the car was driveable etc.

So, I get the loaner car only to find that the noise it made was even worse than my car. The noise is coming from the sunroof when shut (noise goes away when you retract the sunroof). It is REALLY loud actually. Doesn't instill confidence when the loaner they provide has more problems than the one you have.

So I then checked my mobile app to see what is happening with my car. After more than a week, the car is still parked and I can tell that they haven't looked at it as the battery is losing charge by just staying parked. I tried to contact someone - left message no reply. I had to complain and complain and finally the guy gets back to me. After having it parked there for 6 days they confirmed that the technician has not got around to looking at it yet. Basically I am number 20 in the queue. So I have waited 2 months in order to ensure a loaner and then I have to wait 1-2 weeks before they even LOOK at it. And judging from my last experience, they didn't fix the noise issue properly and had to send it back again....this whole ordeal could potentially take 3-4 months if the same thing repeats this time.

This is clearly unacceptable. They are building a NEW service center close by the existing one that is supposedly 6 times the size but that won't be up and running until most likely early next year. Elon told the employees towards the end of this year but the guy I spoke to said that was very optimistic.

So far I have to say I am very unimpressed. Build quality sub-par, service WAY below par. Its a shame as it would be a great car if they built it properly.

I have experienced poor customer service at Tesla service as well. The primary problem is lousy communication and generaly sloppy, inaccurate and slow responses, if any. No real acknowledgement or apology for sub par response, etc.

Just today, I asked 3 Tesla reps the same ? and received 3 totally different answers.
Get everything in writing, folks.

I never really loved my previous Mercedes vehicles, but the customer service was excellent for the 15 years I drove them. I purchased 3 Mercedes in a row because I knew service was consistently reliable. I knew I would be treated well and that my vehicle would always be serviced promptly and I would always be put in a loaner Benz, without delay.
If Tesla wants to succeed at selling $70K +++ cars, they need to really get it together. Customers at that price point want good, or at least reliable service and customer service.

You were right. They said that it was me who damaged the car as there was no defect with the car. But why did I intentionally damage my brand new car and caused myself so much inconvenience? Not able to provide a loaner and more importantly, need to repay the loan!

If Tesla claimed that their cars have no manufacturing defects, why was there a sound when steering the driving wheel 2 weeks after delivery? How come there was this annoying sound from the A/C which I could not find in other brands such as Nissan, BMW, and MB? Are these defects or not? MS is good to drive if everything is ok. However, I am sure the car has some flaws here or there.
Firstly they're not saying you intentionally damaged the car, they are say you damaged the car and are not being honest. It would be easy to tell by looking at the damage, and it wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

And Tesla did not claim they didn't have manufacturing defects, as you well know.

Anyhow, can I suggest you sell your Model S and buy a Nissan Cube, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.