Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in shop 3 times in one month for "Vehicle may not restart Service is required"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 Model S is now in the shop for the 3rd time in one month. Each time it started with the error message "Vehicle may not restart, Service is required"

The First time I got the message I took the car to Tesla. They said a rodent jumped out of the car but that was not connected to the problem. They replaced the 12v battery and battery electric coolant heater. They commented that they "did not see any visible damage of wiring nor components". This cost about $1100.

The second time I took the car in for the same problem, the car would not start and this was only a few days after I got it back the first time. They said the rear drive unit had gone bad and replaced it for $5300. I had not heard nor felt any problems with the car aside from the electrical warning and it not starting. The warranty on the rear drive unit expired two months before this, so I was forced to pay the entire thing.

The third time was a few days later and the car would not start. This time they replaced the PTC (Rwd) Heater. They said the drain hose from the heater was clogged by rodent food, which backed up the moisture, and that resulted in the heater shorting out. This is a $1400 repair.

Tesla says that these three repairs are not connected and it is a bad coincidence that they all happened right in a row. I am not very familiar with cars nor am I a statistician, but it doesn't make sense that these wouldn't be connected. It feels like they are and Tesla missed something initially that caused the other two problems. Does anyone have any insights about this? I feel like I shouldn't have to pay for the third repair and maybe not part of the second. I am not saying that anyone isn't being forthright, but this is a weird situation.

Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
I'm inclined to agree with Tesla; the three repairs are for completely unrelated issues. Even if all three issues were fixed the same day, the bill would be the same (maybe a little less labor). I do agree with you that it is a weird situation, but, as they claim, it seems to be just a bad coincidence.

Look into what you can do to deter rodents from getting near the car.