Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in Tasmania

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just started my Tasmania trip. First charging spot was Woolnorths Windfarm where I met several members of the Tasmanian AEVA branch to jointly promote renewable energy + EVs.
DSC_0207.jpg
DSC_0216.jpg

Another destination charger has popped up on the Tesla website!

(For non locals, Bronte Park is in the very centre!)

Despite being in the middle, it certainly isn't on a busy route, but of course that's not the intention for destination chargers!

bUmIEw6.png

Last edited:
Good to see Tasmania gaining some new chargers and it shows on Plug Share you now have good coverage.
Great to be an island, here in New Zealand we have had a good increase in chargers with about 30 fast chargers now in place and slow chargers covering most of the country.

Out of interest, I saw a comment on a Facebook post yesterday from (presumably) an electrician, saying that "he has three more [electric vehicle charging] stations to install over the next few weeks" - along with a picture of an HPWC box.

My guess is that the locations are the three RACT sites (Strahan, Cradle Mountain and Freycinet) which have been rumoured to be planned since mid last year!

This will bring the number of destination chargers in Tassie to seven: Berriedale, Bronte Park, Freycinet, Latrobe, Wynyard, Cradle Mountain and Strahan. Just need something in the north-east and that is excellent geographic coverage.

(Unfortunately some are at hotels and are marked for patrons only)

From this thread: SYD - BNE Supercharger Route

Another possibility, after disembarking at Devonport, drive to The Waterfront Motel at Wynyard. Stay there a while & charge up for the 333 km drive to MONA, spend many hours there checking it out & charge up for Hobart sightseeing, the 270 km return drive to Devonport & plenty of stops en route.

Well you could do that, if you wanted to go to Wynyard which is 70 km in the other direction, and you wanted to stay there overnight since it is listed as patrons only... but that is going to suit very few people!

From this thread: SYD - BNE Supercharger Route

Is Richmond to Hobart, recharge at e.g. MONA, then back again to Richmond a sane travel plan? Or should you be planning for more charging points along the way?

Never having had an electric car, just wondering what is a sensible travel plan as opposed to a theoretical "you should be able to make it in idealistic conditions".

In theory it should be possible. When the destination charger at Anvers (in Latrobe) was opened, one of the Model S owners in Midway Point (near Hobart) attended it. Google Maps puts the distance at 257 km. Richmond to MONA via the ferry is similar at 277 km.

But of course, travelling using only destination chargers isn't ideal. Most 300 km+ trips in Tasmania go through Campbell Town, which is why it is perfectly placed as the first supercharger site... eventually!

But of course, travelling using only destination chargers isn't ideal. Most 300 km+ trips in Tasmania go through Campbell Town, which is why it is perfectly placed as the first supercharger site... eventually!

Yes. I was thinking lets say I go for this hypothetical trip and I want to stay down at Hobart for say a week. Ideally I would want to be fully charged when I first arrive, then I would want to be fully charged as I am leaving. However it probably only makes sense to visit MONA once.

So the solution would probably be to limit myself to staying at accommodation in Hobart (there are 2 in Hobart listed on plug share) that offers charging (with the appropriate adaptors of course) and use it to charge overnight. Wonder how the charge rate of the J1772 connectors at the accommodation would compare with the charge rates at MONA. If MONA was better, that might make a good first stop.

Yes. I was thinking lets say I go for this hypothetical trip and I want to stay down at Hobart for say a week. Ideally I would want to be fully charged when I first arrive, then I would want to be fully charged as I am leaving. However it probably only makes sense to visit MONA once.

So the solution would probably be to limit myself to staying at accommodation in Hobart (there are 2 in Hobart listed on plug share) that offers charging (with the appropriate adaptors of course) and use it to charge overnight. Wonder how the charge rate of the J1772 connectors at the accommodation would compare with the charge rates at MONA. If MONA was better, that might make a good first stop.

Not sure what the J1772 charge rates at the Hobart locations are but my Chargepoint J1772 is 30A - 7 kW & charges at ~30 km/h. According to PlugShare, MONA has 32A destination chargers. Daemon's informative post here is very helpful.

Tasmania Trip - Tapatalk

Not sure what the J1772 charge rates at the Hobart locations are but my Chargepoint J1772 is 30A - 7 kW & charges at ~30 km/h. According to PlugShare, MONA has 32A destination chargers. Daemon's informative post here is very helpful.

I am confused. Oh wait, the J1772 is single phase only. So if MONA is single phase then they will be similar, if MONA is 3 phase then MONA will be a lot better (=32*3 amps). Limited of course by your car charger(s).

Apparently MONA has restricted parking. Is it a potential problem (esp. school holidays) that you rely on using a destination charger only to find ICE cars have already taken the required spots?

Yes J1772 is single phase not sure about MONA although PlugShare does not mention 3 phase. Apparently accomodation at MONA Pavilions ranges from $600 per night upwards. Alternatively there's Longford Showgrounds near Launceston which is 3 phase 32A & House of Anvers at Latrobe which is 3 phase 16A. Needless to say you'll need a suitable 3 phase adaptor for any Showgrounds.

Last edited: