Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: Incredible benefits of Autopilot.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hotgrips

Fred F. Stone, plus Wilma, and Pebbles
Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2015
New Hampshire
iI have enjoyed my Model S for 5 years. I was bitter about some of the poorly engineered components on the car as soon as the warranty expired. So 2 weeks ago I moved to Lexus LS-500 F Sport. The first time I had it on the interstate and used the autopilot I realized how far out of date other manufacturers are. I tried to let the Lane-Keeping do it's thing and the LS-500 would get very close to the edge of the lane then slowly move to the opposite edge of the lane and repeat this pattern. Lexus dealer explained the factory has not improved on the functionality in years.

It was no better than my 2015 Volvo X90 wagon, which does the same thing. Although I had only put 37 miles on it since delivery, they could not take it back. After all, they had it on their lot for 7 months. They offered to take it back and give me $10,000. less than I paid for it, and I had gotten 10k off msrp to begin with.

I knew I had to go back to the Model S Tesla. I searched all over the country but could not find what I wanted. I of course know that the Model S Plaid is due for production later this year, and the new technology battery may come then or early in 2021. I sent a communication to Tesla that I wanted the Plaid when it was released, and gave them the options I wanted.

What was most important to me was the capability of it to avoid accidents such as drifting out of my lane and hitting someone in my blind spot. Those who have studied the statistics report there is one ninth (1/9) a likelihood of a Tesla getting into an accident than an ICE car. I love that improvement in the odds. I could not relax in the flagship Lexus like I could with my 5 year old Model S. So I am coming back to the MS knowing getting it serviced will be more frustrating, and that I must sell it before the 4 yr. warranty expires. Not only do I benefit with less stress driving, but feel good that both myself with family AND the other 8/9 of drivers and their families are safer as well, because I made that decision.

Reactions: ICUDoc
Interesting... I traded my 5 y/o S for an LS500 earlier this year.

I find the car does not “ping pong” in the lane much, but if the line markings disappear the system beeps and the steering assist shuts off earlier than Tesla would.

I like that when using all the driving assists are active in the Lexus you can steer into another lane without signaling but it doesn’t shut the system down, it just keeps helping. I dislike that with Tesla if you turn the wheel too hard it just shuts off entirely instead of just deactivating steering assist.

I feel the Lexus autopilot is very similar to how Tesla autopilot worked when it first came out v1.0. Not perfect but better than not having it.

Did it ping pong because you didn’t keep your hands on the wheel or are your roads more curvy where you live? It’s not bad on my car overall. I also like that the Lexus version of CoPilot detects your hands on the wheel using the heater lines and you don’t have to torque on the wheel endlessly.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
Lexus dealers don't give test drives any more?

I think that statistic is the way it is because there are lots of old ICE cars and all Teslas are relatively new.

I did not request a test drive, partly because of Covid-19 concerns. I found over the years that the car magazines do a more thorough review than I could do, and I had a 1990 LS-400 and a 2011 LS-460 AWD. So I know the Lexus is a great car. I am keeping the LS-500 F Sport, AWD as it is very nice, although it is sort of a grandpa vehicle. Ironically I became a Grandpa in February. I do not usually test drive a car, to be candid.